+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Swype Beta for Android News

Quote Originally Posted by grizzld View Post
    I have a different phone from the original one I had when I signed up for Swype Beta. How can I install Swype on my new phone? Your old FAQ page said to send you and email with my new MEID and email address, but when I did that, I got a return email referring me here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Silent1 View Post
    I registered and received the download link and used Swype for about a month. Then I switched phones and now when I try to install Swype it says the phone ID isnt the same as the registration. I sent the emails according to the troubleshooting and then receive a email today directing me to this forum. How do I proceed?
    Head over to our "Troubleshooting" section and read through the threads there. If after trying what's listed in our HOW-TO and reading through other user-submitted threads you still haven't resolved your issue, post in the appropriate thread (please don't make a new one if there's one already there that covers the same problem) and we'll respond as soon as possible with instructions on what you need to do to get Swype up and running again.

For the record, we'll most likely need to release your old devices from your account, since each account is limited to 2 devices, but PLEASE read through the rest of the forums to make sure that your issue isn't already covered. Thanks!

Just read in another thread to go to the top of the page, click on "InfoDesk," and submit a trouble ticket with the subject of ESN Reset. Include your new MEID and email address. I did this and hope to receive a reply.

Release beta openly?

Would it not just be possible to release your beta version onto the android market? Then all Android handsets would be tested and people could email you as with all other developers in the market. Already it seems that people are having problems either updating their current version or getting swype on their new phone. It seems as if you are being far too cautious with the keyboard- in addition there is a similar keyboard already on the android market which potential customers like myself will start use and grow familiar with, as with T9 keyboards people either love or hate them and once they get to grips with it continue to use it. I'm certain swype or similar is the future for touch screen keyboards however as other people are developing similar products you could easily lose out on this.

In regards to the Android Market, it really IS something we're constantly looking at, ESPECIALLY for the beta. Distribution via the Android Market would be ideal, but we also are restricted by Google's Terms of Service from providing an "installer" on the market. What I mean is, we'd have to develop a method of applying our licensing through the Android Market installation itself - we aren't allowed to provide our installer on the market and use that to install Swype and its licensing. This isn't SUCH a huge problem, but more than anything we just don't have the man-hours to handle that transition at this point.

we dont need the installer. the installer only download the apk file and start it. if i run the apk without the installer i can install it too.

Sounds like your answer- could you not send the file out to a select few without the installer and see how we get on? may be that your worrying over nothing, like I said I am currently using an alternative to swype and quickly getting used to it, overall I prefer swype but only because it looks better- not something that will get me to chance back once I'm used to it.

The installer does more than just download the APK; it also generates the licensing files for each installation. If you are using a Swype APK WITHOUT using the installer, then your copy of Swype is unlicensed, unauthorized, and will not be supported.

Due to contractual obligations with our partners, ALL copies of Swype must include a valid registration license. This is the primary reason the installer is necessary.

Beta release

Thats a shame. I'm assuming you couldn't support the download from your own site otherwise this would be done already. Looks like i'm sticking with slideit then.

i dont have seen any different if licenced or not. i have got the installer of the beta but dont use swype cause of missing german language.

but thank you for explaining.

Hi Brian,

Can you explain the erratic licensing for Swype for Android? I have a Verizon HTC Incredible, and would like to install swype -- beta, final, or otherwise. If I understand correctly, you have licensed swype for the Verizon Droid X (same OS and carrier) and for the HTC HD2 (same hardware). But as an HTC Incredible owner, I cannot for love or money get a copy of Swype . . . so I'm trying begging here. From a consumer perspective, this seems like a bizarre business model: to offer the product to some customers without charge to them, and then deny it to others absolutely. I feel like there is a Swype vendetta against my phone.

I have also tried bringing it up with Verizon Customer Service reps when I have been talking to them about other things, but they have never heard of it. "Hey by the way do you know if there is any way I can get Swype on my phone?" "Is that an application?" they ask. "Can't you download it from the Android Market?" "No," I say, "they only license it through carriers, like Verizon does with the Droid X, I was hoping I could suggest Verizon put it on the Incredible." "Oh. Well, I've never heard of it, and if they don't ship it with the Incredible then it seems like it's probably not available for it. Sorry." I've had that conversation twice with two different Verizon reps. Whole process is frustrating.

Thanks,

Joe

+ Reply to Thread