+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Does Swype Beta Remove the Mic Key and Prevent Speech to Text?

Does Swype Beta Remove the Mic Key and Prevent Speech to Text?

Hello. Iím a brand new Nexus 7 user. Iíve had it for only 24 hours! So far, so good, except I do have a question about the Swype Beta. Hopefully, I can get help with it here, please.

I installed Swype on my Nexus 7 (the 16 GB edition). I then decided to try speech-to-text. I viewed a few video demos on You Tube.
    In each demo, the narrator tapped a microphone key, and that initiated the SPT function.

I could not for the life of me find that mic key anywhere. I tried using SPT in Gmail, and couldnít. I tried using it in Evernote, which I also installed. I couldnít.

I uninstalled Swype, and then found the mic key. I can now use SPT and am incredibly impressed with it. (I will have to install a WiFi Hot Spot finder to see if I can use it at work.
    Itís excellent on my home network.)

So, hereís the question: Does Swype disable speech-to-text when you install it? Is there a way to use SPT while Swype is installed?
    Is there a way to display the mic key so I can tap it and dictate? If so, what is the procedure?

Is the eliminating of the mic key a bug in the beta, or is it a known design choice?

Thank you for your assistance. J. Danniel

You should upload a copy of Swype, you have no idea how many people wish it was gone. (sadly I have no actual advice past trying to reinstall it.)

Quote Originally Posted by primetech View Post
    You should upload a copy of Swype, you have no idea how many people wish it was gone. (sadly I have no actual advice past trying to reinstall it.)
    Not sure what you mean. People wish what was gone?

Many people here wish the microphone wasn't in the package, that is correct. Are you in the United States, or is this from somewhere else? Maybe that plays into why your app is missing a microphone... Nuance and legal issues.

I'm in the states. I'm curious as to why the microphone is so unpopular.

The microphone uses Nuance's Dragon Text-to-Speech, and refuses to allow users access to Google's own TTS. This is a major annoyance to many people. That and it's easy to hit the microphone while attempting to punctuate.

Quote Originally Posted by primetech View Post
    The microphone uses Nuance's Dragon Text-to-Speech, and refuses to allow users access to Google's own TTS. This is a major annoyance to many people. That and it's easy to hit the microphone while attempting to punctuate.
    Sounds to me like someone should design an app (if possible) to hide the mic key.

I don't think anybody can do that effectively except Swype, unfortunately.

Their most recent revision includes the option to show or hide a writing-to-text option, so they would be the ones to ask about making the Dragon key optional as well.

Sorry I have so little useful information; my Nexus 7 is MIA.

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

+ Reply to Thread