+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Feature regression between 3.26.x and 1.x

Feature regression between 3.26.x and 1.x

Hi,
    I’ve been a long time Swype user and fan. But this new 1.x series of Swype is in my opinion regressive.
    In no particular order I’ll outline the stuff that was it 3.26 and is no longer in 1.x.
    • English Australia - gone
    • Long press deletes words. The current behaviour of the backspace button is annoying, if you hit it right after finishing a word it deletes it, to change the end you need to do a space and then backspace.
    • A language switch key. Changing languages is really slow now. Maybe have what key only active if there are more than 2 languages enabled.
    • When you go into numbers mode, the ‘shift/long press’ options are no longer displayed as an 'alternative' on the key, so you have to use the “1/2” to get to the alternative keys.
    Annoyances with 1.x:
    • It slower than 3.x on my JB Galaxy Nexus. It takes like 500-700ms to pop up with a word after finishing tracing it. Was definitely faster before.
    • The trace line, now seems to be a lot more blurry, and it has horrid performance, it’s not smooth, it jumps about 1cm / half inch at a time when disappearing at the tail end.
    • I’m certain that Swype Connect doesn’t actually do anything. I tried getting it to connect to my Gmail. After getting permission it still didn’t add the names of my contacts to the personal dictionary.
    • Linked to the above, contact names are not automatically added to the personal dictionary.
    • How do I make a new line in a SMS? Seriously, where is the line break key in the SMS app?
    • Updating the software uninstalls language packs and clears personal dictionary... grrrr

Your observations, meet my observations. Thanks for your time compiling this list...

http://angryandroidguy.blogspot.com/...swype.html?m=1

Quote Originally Posted by primetech View Post
    Your observations, meet my observations. Thanks for your time compiling this list...

http://angryandroidguy.blogspot.com/...swype.html?m=1
    I have to say, I think you are both not including something that I feel is very important (and that I perceive very heavily here).

I think that the 1.xx swype is FUNDAMENTALLY less accurate than older versions.

If I don't start on almost the exact right letter, every time, I don't get anything close to the word that I desire. I feel like the algorithm for calculating what words pop up has changed. And it's a bad change. Very very bad. 3.26 acts, on a very basic level, completely different than 1.xx.

Though I agree with about every point you both have, Also, in addition. Not being able to quickly swype from period to space, or question mark to space, or exclamation mark to space, is a HUGE problem. I have to swype a lot slower.

Why the big changes, Swype? And why not SELL versions that people like and work well?

I would pay money for a non-expiring 3.26 version. So that I can keep the same keyboard instead of changes, ALL of the time. I'm ready to pay for this BETA product that is obviously refined enough to sell with OEM's (and has been done for years now) -- why can't I purchase it?

Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by pkopalek1 View Post
    I would pay money for a non-expiring 3.26 version. So that I can keep the same keyboard instead of changes, ALL of the time. I'm ready to pay for this BETA product that is obviously refined enough to sell with OEM's (and has been done for years now) -- why can't I purchase it?
    Our business model is to license Swype with OEMs, and in parallel offer Swype Beta as a direct-to-consumer, free product. The reason you won't see Swype in Google Play (or any other app store) is due to the fact that certain aspects of Swype functionality require OS-level implementation. This requires OEM involvement, and is mainly why we don't release Swype as a final, paid app; without integrating on the actual device, we simply cannot state that Swype will be compatible. So, we offer Swype as a beta product for users who would like to have Swype but are unwilling/unable/not interested in purchasing a new phone with Swype pre-installed.

Quote Originally Posted by David Johnstone View Post
    Our business model is to license Swype with OEMs, and in parallel offer Swype Beta as a direct-to-consumer, free product. The reason you won't see Swype in Google Play (or any other app store) is due to the fact that certain aspects of Swype functionality require OS-level implementation. This requires OEM involvement, and is mainly why we don't release Swype as a final, paid app; without integrating on the actual device, we simply cannot state that Swype will be compatible. So, we offer Swype as a beta product for users who would like to have Swype but are unwilling/unable/not interested in purchasing a new phone with Swype pre-installed.
    Nuance is INSANE. ***exasperated***

Quote Originally Posted by David Johnstone View Post
    Translation: Although the beta 3.26 works perfectly well without OEM involvement to be given away free (with expiry date), we won't sell it because (quote David) "that requires OEM involvement."

WTF? Try again. Although 3.26 works perfectly on most devices, we won't sell it because it might not work.

A formerly great product has a wacky administrative team. And poor David has to be trotted out to deliver nonsense-talk worthy of a politician.
    LG Optimus One P-500, unrooted, stock Android 2.2.1

I completely agree with the comments above. I'm currently using version 3.26 because I really don't like the changes they have made in the newer releases. Especially the method of deleting the previous word!

Quote Originally Posted by gaetawoo View Post
    Nuance is INSANE. ***exasperated***
    This business model is how Swype has always operated, both as a start-up company and now that we're a part of Nuance.

Quote Originally Posted by Billingsgate View Post
    Translation: Although the beta 3.26 works perfectly well without OEM involvement to be given away free (with expiry date), we won't sell it because (quote David) "that requires OEM involvement."

WTF? Try again. Although 3.26 works perfectly on most devices, we won't sell it because it might not work.

A formerly great product has a wacky administrative team. And poor David has to be trotted out to deliver nonsense-talk worthy of a politician.
    Oh, Billingsgate... you light up my days.

In all seriousness, though, what's not clear here? I thought a phrased that well, but let me know what's not making sense and I'll illuminate it for you a bit more.

All banter aside, Swype has major issues due to being shoved inside FlexT9 this badly.

Backspace is completely inefficient in every way. Auto add is completely inefficient in every way (and there are MANY ways). The removal of useful keys in secondary keyboards is a bane to me personally, and any n00b who stumbles across your Edit keyboard should wonder why the arrow keys are in a row!

Please explain to us how auto add is better in ANY way. How Backspace is good by design. How removing buttons from other keyboards was brilliant. Etc. Please. I want to believe, lol.

+ Reply to Thread