+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Does this beta work on Nexus 7?

Does this beta work on Nexus 7?

including the tiny keyboard option? currently this option doesn't work on my nook color...

The Swype Beta Installer detects your screen size and downloads/installs the Swype keyboard automatically. Looks like the Nexus 7 is a 1280x800 resolution with pretty high DPI, so the tablet keyboard (complete with re-sizable keyboard, aka "tiny keyboard") should load for this device.

The DPI is 213 I believe. On my Huawei Mediapad with ICS, which is the same 7" size and 1280x800 resolution, it seems to get the phone version of the keyboard with no multi size keyboard.

Sent from my HUAWEI MediaPad using Tapatalk 2
    Last edited by cmstlist; 07-12-2012 at 11:56 AM.

Whereas when the same device is configured to report a DPI of 160, same resolution, apps think it's a 9-10 inch tablet. And Swype gives the tablet layout:

Latest reports on XDA say that in stock configuration the Nexus 7 does NOT display the Swype tablet layout. You get phone mode, no resizeable keyboard.

yep i read that on xda too..seems you have to change the dpi to get the tablet mode to work...hope this gets fixed very soon...

Sent from my NookColor using Tapatalk 2

Just picked up a Nexus 7 and installed Swype beta. Unless I'm missing something, I don't see a way to change the size of the keyboard in Swype. The keyboard is too big to Swype with on the Nexus 7. I really hope they fix this soon and give us the option to resize the keyboard! I might have to try Swiftkey for tablets... :-(

How do you change the DPI and if I change it, does it affect anything else?

EDIT: I found out how to modify the dpi... Need to be rooted and use the DPI Modder app from the Google Market.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
    Last edited by pjniez; 07-21-2012 at 6:30 AM.

Thankfully the MediaPad stock firmware includes a DPI toggle between 213 and 160.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Thumbs down Readability of 'secondary text' on Swype Beta keyboard on Nexus 7

I'm new to Swype and obviously to the Nexus 7 as well. I have compared the Swype keyboard on the Nexus 7 to the one on a friend's phone and one glaring difference is the readability of what I'll call the 'secondary text' that appears on each key.

By that I mean, for example, the letter 'N' has in the top-right corner the '+' symbol.

On the Nexus those characters are incredibly small and faint....almost too bloody small to read...even with screen brightness set high.

Those same characters are much bigger/brighter on my friend's phone.

I'd highly recommend correcting this in the beta version.

+ Reply to Thread