View Poll Results: Do You Want To Choose Your Own Dictation?

Voters
172. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes!

168 97.67%
  • No...

4 2.33%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Can Dragon be made optional for Swype, please?

Can Dragon be made optional for Swype, please?

Hi,

Swype is quite a big install on my phone, and since my phone has limited internal space, it's hard for me to fit Swype on.

Now, Swype contains a feature which after some initial testing I found useless to me in practice -- speech recognition.

Sorry, guys, but it got so many words wrong, both when testing english and when testing dutch, that at least with my accent, it's as useless to me as the attempts from Google and SwiftKey.

But it does take up a key on the keyboard, and presumably, quite some space in the installation.

Therefore I would be quite happy to get rid of it, and make it an optional plugin.

Or, if I'm mistaken about speech taking up a lot of space, or for other reasons making it a plugin is not going to happen, can it at least be made an option to disable it altogether and give the space of the Dragon key back to the spacebar key?

This will make the spacebar easier to hit and avoids accidental keypresses.

Thanks,

--Tim van der Leeuw

Hi tnleeuw,

Dragon Dictation's voice dictation is not embedded in the Swype Beta APK itself, so the amount of space it takes up is negligible (compared to if the dictation was local on the device).

There are a few threads on this Forum about the ability to remove the Dragon key from the keyboard, which might be implemented in the future.

Change default voice reader

I have a google Nexus running on Jellybean. One of the great innovations of Jellybean is it's use of voice-to-text functionality. I find it far more useful then both the default voice-to-text built into swype and the dragon pro version of it. What are the features that make it better?

1. No internet connection required. It is software based and not internet based.

2. It's word predictive instead of line predictive so that you can see the writing as you speak instead of having to analyze it, send it over the internet, then get it back.

Maybe in the settings there can be a switcher to allow the use of the default voice-to-text of jellybean?

Quote Originally Posted by icanrule View Post
    I have a google Nexus running on Jellybean. One of the great innovations of Jellybean is it's use of voice-to-text functionality. I find it far more useful then both the default voice-to-text built into swype and the dragon pro version of it. What are the features that make it better?

1. No internet connection required. It is software based and not internet based.

2. It's word predictive instead of line predictive so that you can see the writing as you speak instead of having to analyze it, send it over the internet, then get it back.

Maybe in the settings there can be a switcher to allow the use of the default voice-to-text of jellybean?
    As this has been a topic of discussion on the Swype Forum for some time, I've merged this question with another thread. See my response here: http://forum.swype.com/showthread.ph...8426#post28426

Another vote for choice!

Just another vote for letting us choose whether to use Dragon or Google for dictation. Not to beat a dead horse, but with the new Google dictation working so well, offline, and in continuous real-time fashion, it is hard to go back to anything else! I even strayed away from Swype to be able to use Google dictation, but I missed it. So I am back to Swype and am pulling down from the notification area to choose Good dictation when needed. It is a PTA, so PLEASE give us an update with the option of choices in the near future!

Ironically people pay $199 for the privilege of speaking to the Dragon, courtesy Mothership Nuance. Personally I don't mind talking to it, although why it uses an SMS-unfriendly character for ellipsis I'll never understand.

"It's pretty strange, dot dot dot... $#@! I'm gonna have to erase that now."

Choice is always a good thing, unfortunately choosing Swype then choosing Google then choosing Swype again is (dot dot dot) a pain.

Why is it that Dragon Go is SO much more accurate than Dragon is when I'm trying to dictate a text? I never had an issue with Google, and agree with everyone that says that having it put the words down as I am speaking is far better.

Please, please let me remove the dumb Dragon button in future versions. I don't like it, I don't want it, and I'm sick of accidentally touching the button and having the record screen pop up. Thank you.

Adding my vote

Like what appears to be quite a few people - I want to be able to access Google Voice from my swype keyboard. I know you guys want to test Dragon Dictation - but the quality is just not there compared to Google Voice. I love swype - it works so much better than the continuous input option on my Galaxy S3 but I'm seriously considering going back to the regular samsung keyboard because of this issue. The Dragon Dictation, quite frankly, sucks. I love how accurate Google Voice is and that it works as you are talking instead of analyzing it afterwards. The dragdown in the notification bar is just not a realistic option, the voice to text is great as a hands free and if you have to go searching for it, it isn't handsfree.

Let people choose to have two great options with swype and google, instead of having to sacrifice one for the other.

I agree with everyone. Dragon is ok but slow and inaccurate... not anywhere close to Google Voice Typing which is the ultimate in my opinion. Therefore, I am in search of a swype like keyboard that integrates Google Voice Typing and will pay $10-$20 for it if I have to .

+ Reply to Thread