+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Why is percent hidden behind TWO menus?

Why is percent hidden behind TWO menus?

Percent is a very commonly accessed key. It's shift+5 on a regular keyboard, and a very common button. So why do I have to press ABC 123 and THEN Shift, and THEN find it?

Let me long press it, or at least find it on the ABC menu.

It used to be right in the Numbers layout (if that's what they called it). You glide from the Swype key to the 5, and then you can enter numbers as well as common symbols like the dollar sign, the percent sign, etc.

Except recently they removed that feature, in exchange for an unnecessarily larger layout, a layout I don't think anybody was really interested in (not on the forums anyway). Maybe if we complain loud enough they'll bring it back.

Quote Originally Posted by belomeclone View Post
    Percent is a very commonly accessed key. It's shift+5 on a regular keyboard, and a very common button. So why do I have to press ABC 123 and THEN Shift, and THEN find it?

Let me long press it, or at least find it on the ABC menu.
    In the latest Swype Beta version (1.0.3.5809), the English (US) main ABC layer has "%" as an alternate input for the "c" key. Simply press-hold on the "c" key, and the tertiary menu will appear and allow selection of "%" as an option for input.

This is doable too, but I think the big question is why can't it be easier, like it used to be?

Versus

Sent from my Milestone X2 using Tapatalk 2
    Last edited by handled_badly; 07-11-2012 at 3:35 PM.

As above, long pressing c gives the # symbol, but if you very-long press, you can get %

Same with v and *

Felt I had to chime in as well. Annoys me almost daily that % isn't a visible key, yet there are two different buttons for inserting smileys. Form over function...

Agreed 10 char

I actually just registered simply to say I'm so glad I found this thread! I thought I was crazy because I knew there used to be a % sign on the numeric board, and then it wasn't there anymore! I do agree it now takes too many 'steps' to do wat used to be so quick & simple That's a very common symbol, I use it quite often, as do others. I hope they read these comments and fix glitches like this. Come to think of it, there are other symbols I've been unable to locate, I guess I will have to explore that tertiary menu!
    :-)

Still just as annoying as it was in 2014.

And in 2017. Who woulda thunk long pressing the 'c' would give a # symbol!! They think of everything, don't they........NOT!!!!

+ Reply to Thread