+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Eliminate the moving target problem.

Eliminate the moving target problem.

I have the following problem with Swype. After finishing a phrase, I place a dot and (try to) hit the [Send] button. As Swype's word suggestion-bar disappears on typing the dot, the [Send] button moves some pixels down, and I fail to hit it.

I propose to maintain the word suggestion-bar on screen, even though there are no words to suggest.

Quote Originally Posted by GUI Junkie View Post
    I have the following problem with Swype. After finishing a phrase, I place a dot and (try to) hit the [Send] button. As Swype's word suggestion-bar disappears on typing the dot, the [Send] button moves some pixels down, and I fail to hit it.

I propose to maintain the word suggestion-bar on screen, even though there are no words to suggest.
    It sounds like you are on a pre-install version... no? OEMs actually control the aspect of Swype that you've described in current pre-install versions. Certain OEMs desired this functionality be made available as an option for them to implement. (Side note: the feature you've described is known as "HWCL Auto-hide", as it is the horizontal word choice list that can be set to auto-hide if no words are populated.)

Internally, we found this feature really cumbersome for the exact reason you've outlined: buttons were bumped around according to the HWCL having words populated or not. We've totally disabled this in the latest beta version, so I'd recommend trying the newest beta version at http://beta.swype.com/, and coming back to this thread with your impressions!

Thanks, David! I'm using a SGS2, and was always so annoyed by the jumpy suggestion bar. I had no idea it wasn't swype's default, that appantly Samsung deliberately chose to annoy us with that "feature". I installed swype beta, it works a lot better, so far. Thanks!

Edit: except I just noticed and read about the 'auto-add everything new to the personal dictionary' feature/bug... now I don't know which of those 2 evils to choose.
    Last edited by PeteSapai; 07-25-2012 at 6:59 AM.

HWCL/word suggestion bar still popping up and disappearing in current Swype beta

David, I'm using the Swype Beta downloaded in the past few days, on my Samsung Galaxy Tab (original) with Android 2.3.x. The word suggestion bar pops up and disappears. So it doesn't seem that "we've totally disabled this in the latest beta version" as you wrote about ten months ago has remained true :(
    Any update to this thread, then, please?
    Thanks.

XXXXX Looks like beta 1.4 has solved this. Or maybe it's just that I'm using a new Galaxy Tab 2 which is so much faster that I don't notice anymore? Anyway, thanks, I think
    No, I was wrong; beta 1.4 is just the same as beta 1.3. It's only that, most of the time, my new Galaxy Tab 2 is so much faster, that I don't notice it. But today I realised it is still doing it
    So, Swype, are you listening to this thread???

Quote Originally Posted by libove View Post
    David, I'm using the Swype Beta downloaded in the past few days, on my Samsung Galaxy Tab (original) with Android 2.3.x. The word suggestion bar pops up and disappears. So it doesn't seem that "we've totally disabled this in the latest beta version" as you wrote about ten months ago has remained true
    Any update to this thread, then, please?
    Thanks.
    Last edited by libove; 01-15-2013 at 1:02 PM.

+ Reply to Thread