+ Reply to Thread

Thread: General security question

General security question

Just got the Samsung Galaxy S3 and delighted with it but then noticed no SWYPE installed so got the beta version online but I have just uninstalled this as a little concerned when loading up it mentioned about it being able to read all my texts and bank details and such? I tried to email androidbeta@swype.com asking for more information on this but for some reason it was undeliverable?

SWYPE is a brilliant app which I used on my original Samsung Galaxy S but am I being too paranoid?

Sorry for sounding a little concerned but not sure about these things so would be grateful for some more advice on this please?

Thanking you in advance.

Dave in the UK

Hi Dave by their very nature, all keyboard apps can *read* your data as you use it to enter info. Swype won't store info from protected form fields such as password entry boxes etc. I do understand your paranoia but in this case I believe it unjustified. I've never had any security issues with it and my paranoia eased over time.
    Do stick with Swype, it's worth it!
    Sent from my ViewPad7 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by TinkerBell View Post
    Hi Dave by their very nature, all keyboard apps can *read* your data as you use it to enter info. Swype won't store info from protected form fields such as password entry boxes etc. I do understand your paranoia but in this case I believe it unjustified. I've never had any security issues with it and my paranoia eased over time.
    Do stick with Swype, it's worth it!
    Sent from my ViewPad7 using Tapatalk
    Cheers Tinkerbell..............the more I think about it the more I agree with you and just about to reinstall it as to be honest it is sorely missed and I have only had my Samsung Galaxy S3 for just over a day!!

plymouthred,

The warning you likely saw was not actually related to Swype exclusively. It is one that Android warns the user with when any third-party keyboard is installed, and it reads something like this: "Attention: This input method may be able to collect all the text you type, including personal data like passwords and credit card numbers. It comes from the app Swype. Use this input method?"

TinkerBell, thanks for stepping in!

general security question

Hi plymouthhead

just wondering how you got on with swype on your galaxy s3 after you re installed it, did it work okay after?

the s3 has swype on it but it seems to be an annoying inferior version to the version of swype that was on the galaxy s and to be honest its doing my head in thats why i was on here looking at whether i could upgrade it.

it seems to say do not install if you already have swype installed so before i hit the button i was curious how it went for you and whether you enountered any problems as if you didnt ill be looking to upgrade it as the stock version sucks!!!

Look forward to hearing your comments

brustar

+ Reply to Thread