+ Reply to Thread

Thread: please remove ICBM and IBM from default dictionaries

please remove ICBM and IBM from default dictionaries

Seriously, I have not and will not ever need to send a message including the acronym for an intercontinental ballistic missile.

If there is ever a point in time that I am writing about one, I will spell it out completely, to ensure that my messages is clear.

While we're at it, can we remove IBM also?

Thanks
    Mostlegendary

I've come across scores of acronyms in Swype that I will never, ever want to use. And though I use the English-US dictionary, I also never anticipate a need to use US state abbreviations for any purpose. An option to delete words from the default dictionary would solve a fair number of the similar complaints found on this forum.

As it stands, the default dictionary in current versions of Swype is read-only. Without write privileges, it's not possible for end users to remove words from this default list of words. While allowing users to remove words from the default dictionary would suffice, this would honestly be a pretty a lazy way on our part of accomplishing something that would affect our product and the end user experience to a huge extent. The better answer is to not simply off-load that responsibility onto end users, but to find better ways to handle text input in general - after all, this is what we do for a living!

We're currently working on some changes to Swype that will accomplish just that: a more accurate and more relevant text intput experience for the end user. Although Swype does currently adjust frequency values over time according to user behavior, there will always be ways to improve this. It's an ever-evolving process, and we welcome your feedback on our progress in the meantime!

+ Reply to Thread