+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Disable special (national specific) characters option

+1 for this one. This is crucial for most central and east european languages

removing national characters

Is it possible, that new versions of Swype would come with option to disable national characters while typing? I'm Polish and inability to disable those makes the app kinda useless to me since national characters put in sms take incredible amount of "space", f.ex. instead of remaining 159 characters after typing single one of those national ones in, I only have 69 (!) left.

I just can't find any reasonable solution.
    I know that the problem I'm getting is very popular among some other people from my country who use Swype.

Thank you for your attention.

Thanks for sharing such a great piece of information. Sometimes it's the little things that make a big difference, i.e. simply asking people to comment. Good stuff!

you should change the sms encoding in your sms app to avoid this

@zwgGtX yeah, you're probably right, but I just can't find the right option. I'm using HTC Desire Z, any idea, how to switch it?

Anything, anyone?

SMS app doesn't cut it. I use AOSP Icecream Sandwich ROM on my SGS and the built inn app does not have this option. Stock google roms never had this option and I don't think they ever will. Modded roms have this option but I don't want to use them. I also love the stock SMS app and it does not have this option. I don't like any other sms apps in the market so it's the keyboard method for me.

There had been a variety of modded swype apk's cutting out polish language however that's not an option since recent changes. The only hope is to ask again and voice our requests on the forums. I LOVE Swype keyboard however without the proper encoding it becomes useless as it makes you use only 1/3 of the characters. Other sliding keyboards don't work and I'm stucki with typing manually without auto-correction.

Therefore I would kindly ask you to consider adding this option. I don't think that's that hard to encode but it would greatly improve the experience for users in languages with a lot of diacritics (basically a half of Europe). Thanks in advance!

Without automatic replacement of national characters to standard characters, Swype is completely useless for many users. There are many keyboard apps for Android with this feature. Swype also should allow to enable or disable replacement of national characters, depending on users needs.

Question Swype without specific national characters...

Hi there !
    I'm from Poland and in my country i have a couple of specific characters like: ąćżźłę etc.
    When i'm writing SMS with Swype in my language the specific characters counts double and the SMS lenght is very small (i have to write 2-3 sms at once).
    Is there any option to disable national characters in swype ?
    Thanks for reply and sorry for my English
    Peace !

I would like this feature implemented as well. This shouldn't be too hard to implement, Gingerbread has already a Normalizer function that swype could use to replace accented characters with their equivalent:
    http://developer.android.com/referen...ormalizer.html
    It could just be a checkbox in the settings menu...

+ Reply to Thread