+ Reply to Thread

Thread: UserDictionary words

IRISH:UserDictionary words

Hi,
    Newbie question. I am running Swype on Samsung Galaxy II S. I have imported a small Irish language (Gaelic) to Android UserDictionary using app "User Dictionary Manager".
    But..these don't appear as suggestions when using Swype for input.

I am assuming Swype uses its own proprietary dictionary database.
    Is there any way to add these words to Swype dictionary (other than manually inputting them)?

Also does Swype have dictionary content provider that allows writes? If so I guess could write a small app to write word list directly in.

Apologies if this is a well worn path, I searched but couldn't see a similar thread.

Any info or suggestions welcome,
    Thanks,
    M
    Last edited by micel_e; 03-02-2012 at 5:44 AM.

Hi,

I was actually wondering a similar thing, or more yet, I wondered whether it would even be possible to let users create their own language files? My language (or dialect) is spoken by relatively few people and I don't expect that you will ever implement it. Adding them manually into the user dictionary seems cumbersome and a lot of time could be saved if we could create a language file on our pc and add it like a regular language.

Also, this would have the advanage that my bernese (or other people's gaelic) would not show up if we want to type a message in english or any other language. In addition, I fear that the user dictioonary might be too small for an entire language? I've had Swype 2.xx pre-installed and I reached the maximum of 3000 words quite fast. How is this in the current version?

I'm sorry if this has been covered frequently already, tried searching for it, but I searched in vain.

Thanks for any info,
    Slyrk

I think the limit of 3000 words is still around. If you think you can import most of what you'd want into an existing language, the quick way to do so would be to copy/paste those words in bulk into a text buffer then selecting all and pressing the Swype key to add anything to user dictionary. For instance, if you have the list on your computer, you could copy/paste it into a gmail draft, then edit the draft on phone to be able to select all. I don't know how it'll behave if you try more than 3000 - whether it'll just stop adding or whether it'll replace old words.

Hi Keith,
    Tried the method you described and was able to get list of words in imported.

Thanks a lot.

Do you or any one else know if possible to port words using code to swype dictionary?
    Is any content_provider exposed to allow inserts?
    Thanks

I don't think there's anything exposed to let a third-party app bulk add to the dictionary.

Also, for what it's worth recently I tried adding a long contact name in gmail with all the words I want added to Swype but am too lazy to add normally. But that didn't seem to work, sadly. There must be some max length or something to import from contact names.

+ Reply to Thread