+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Why no bullet character?

Why no bullet character?

I've been using Swype since IOS began allowing alternate keyboards. I'd be lost without it, but there's one ongoing source of irritation: the lack of a bullet character. I create many Notes which are lists, and I like bulleted lists. The Swipe bullet character is just a period character moved up a bit. I want a true bold bullet character such as exists on the standard IOS keyboard at the right end of the second row on the shifted numeric set of keys. To get this, I have to switch keyboards or copy/paste an existing bullet. Not a big deal but, am I missing something? Surely I'm not the only guy who wants a true bullet character. If I create a bulleted list in this post, I get the bullet characters I want.
    • test1
    • test2

As far as I know, I cannot create such a list using solely the Swype keyboard. TIA for any advice.

RichardWSnow,

Can you use the character on the top left of the secondary Symbols layer? Press ?123 -->then #+=.

Hope that helps

On Android there's a under 'f' too. is under 'q'.

Swyped from my LG G4 with Tapatalk 4.5.2

Why no bullet character?

Automattox:
    Thank you for the suggestion. As I mentioned in my post, the character you suggest is not a bullet character but rather a period character moved up a bit. I'm curious what the rationale is for not including the bullet character as is on the standard iPhone keyboard. It seems to me to be much more heavily used and desirable than the "floating period" character you suggest.

bberryhill0:
    Thanks for the suggestion, but on my iPhone Swype keyboard, the character "under" the f is a degree symbol.

Press and hold the f key

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Sorry, I tapped Send by mistake. Press and hold the F key, and a row of characters will appear: _f. That last one is the bullet, 2-3x the diameter of a period. It's not as fat as the heavy bullet I've seen some places, but it's clearly not just a centered period.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I know this is an old thread, still looking for an answer. On my version of Swype for IOS, each letter key only has 1 item underneath. This is completely different from the Android version, which has a range of choices under each letter. On my iPhone 6s, under the F is only an underscore, "_", no degree symbol, no bullet etc. Any suggestions for getting better options on IOS 9.2.1 and latest Swype? Thanks.

Buy Swype from Nuance. That's the only way Swype will evolve.

Not sure I understand. I already bought Swype from Nuance, several years ago, that didn't solve anything other than supporting the developers... which is a good thing.
    It has worked well on Android for me. Now, on iOS, I don't have many of the features that Swype provides on Android.
    In this case the specific feature I don't have is the list of alternate characters under each letter. On iOS, I only have one character under each key, and most often it's not the one I'm looking for.. I'm trying to figure out if there's a way to fix that.
    How would your suggestion, which I had already done anyway, address this question?
    Fwiw, this is an iOS forum, so answers about what Swype does on android, though enlightening, are not helpful...unless there's a way to apply that on the iOS side.
    I'm eager to hear how others may have found a way to access the bullet character, and many other special characters, by long-pressing various keys on iOS, the way it works on android.
    Thanks.
    Last edited by alex17; 04-01-2016 at 9:48 AM.

I meant buy the entire company of Swype.

+ Reply to Thread