+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Combine last words

Combine last words

Quite often do I have to enter two words instead of one because this way the word recognition works better.
    Maybe it's possible to add some short cut to glue the last two words together.

Swype from space to backspace to turn off auto spacing for a word.

Swyped from my Verizon LG G2 using Tapatalk 4.5.2.

Actually I am not talking about auto spacing .. rather about the auto correction not working well on longer (compound) words. So the workaround is to type each word by itself with a space because then they are recognised.

I wonder why I don't receive emails about your replies .. hmmm.

Like bberryhill0 mentioned, use a Space-Backspace swype to link compound words. Word recognition will still work on each word individually. When your compound word is complete, use Swype-Shift and select desired capitalization version of your compound word.

So, in detail, the steps are:
    1. Swype word,
    2. Swype from space bar to backspace,
    3. Go to step 1 to continue with next word, or, when done, continue with next step,
    4. Swype from Swype key to Shift key, then choose desired capitalization of compound word.
    • Step 2 will make sure there is no space between your most recently swyped and next word.
    • Step 4 is necessary if an inside word has been capitalized. This happens a lot in German, for instance, as all nouns in German are capitalized. So, with step four, you can choose the compound word with a capital or lower case first letter; any capitalization of inside words will be removed.

Yes I use this method for a long time.
    But the step 4 "choose desired capitalization of compound word." should not be necessary.

Reason:
    There is not as least one word in German language with a capital letter inside a word.

Requirement as change request
    If the user combines 2 words via Space-Backspace wipe
    and the second word has a capital letter as first character
    then change it to the lower case letter

This is also guilty if the automatic word detection or the manual user.selection of suggested words delivers a word with a capital letter as the first one.

Example: "Brotschneidemaschine" (bread cutting machine = bread cutter)
    This complex german word is not included in Swype dictionary
    Brot : ok with capital "B"
    schneide: this delivers 2 variants:
    "schneide" with low charater means cutting
    "Schneide" with capital "S" means "blade"
    "Maschine" is recognized by the Swype dictionary in only one variant with capital "M"

But in combination of all 3 words there is the rule:
    "Keep the first letter (independent if its upper or lower case) and change all combined words in lowercase"

If it's easier to implement I would suggest a new gesture to combine the last swyped word the previous word by deleting the space character and changing the first character to lower case.
    This means after swyping "Brot"
    I write "schneide" and instead of tapping on one of the suggested variants "Schneide oder schneide" I would use the suggested new gesture. The result would be "Brotschneide"
    then I swype "maschine" and use the suggested new gesture and get "Brotschneidemaschine"

Belief me: In German we have a lot of combined words and it's a pain to use 2 steps after another : Combine and change the capitalization for the second combined word.

We also have combined words with lower case beginning: For example all verbs are lowercase expect if it's the first word in a sentence:
    For example "heimkehren" (coming home) "Heim" is an ancient word for my own home, but in the case of "heimkehren" (coming home) the "kehren" (coming) ist more in focus than "home". So this is lowercase.
    This makes German difficult to learn, but this feature would give swype again a unique feature.
    This can be solved in many cases by including both variants in the swype dictionary, but I just want to demonstrate that the suggested algorithm must keep the first character of the first word.

This word "unique feature" is in German upper case ("Alleinstellungsmerkmal")
    Allein: normally lower case ;-)
    "stellungs" (normally upper case as "Stellung" ) but "genitive "s" is not included in dictionary as "stellungs"
    "Merkmal" has only one variant in upper case.

So great would be:

After combination of 2 words via new gesture, keep the first character (low or upper case) and
    suggest 2 variants of the word in the suggestion list above the virtual keyboard.
    In this case I would get "alleinstellungsmerkmal" with leading lower case, because there is no word "Allein"
    Simply suggest "alleinstellungsmerkmal" and "Alleinstellungsmerkmal".
    So there would be only one tap to correct the first letter.

Requirement for new feature:
    Add a gesture to combine the last swyped word to the previous word
    via removing the space character between the 2 words
    and change the first character of the second word to lower case
    Then automatically suggest the 3 variants of the combined word:

(This is as an already existing function
    1) all charactes in lower case
    2) with one upper case character as the first character of the combined word
    3) and all characters in upper case)

Suggestion for the new gesture
    A good way to start combining words can be to start via the common method via swyping from space key to return key.
    If there already is one blank before the current cursor position there is nothing to combine for the existing function.
    So the new function will start until the user types the space key.
    The next words would be combined automatically without space and lower case.
    The application must show the suggestions for the next word as normal until the user write a blank character.
    Then the mode stopps and the application ask to insert the new word in dictionayra as usual.
    Example:
    typing space and swyping to return
    allein -> Suggestion allein (in dictionary) and "Allein", because it's the first character of the combined word.
    User taps on the suggestion "Allein"
    and then swypes stellung and lifts hand- > suggestion is "stellung" everytime in lowercase "
    If "stellung" is the first word in suggestion list and it's correct, then the user has nothing to to, but simply continuing writing.
    the user taps "s" (for genitive) and then swypes
    merkmal -> Suggestion is merkmal in lowercase.
    The user taps the space key to end the combination mode.
    The word will be "Alleinstellungsmermal" and the app will ask to put it in dictionary as usual.
    Last edited by pianoralf; 05-22-2017 at 1:32 PM.

+ Reply to Thread