+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Swype 3.0 likes to autocapitalize 'I' in the middle of a word

Swype 3.0 likes to autocapitalize 'I' in the middle of a word

Device Make/Model: HTC Thunderbolt
    Wireless Carrier: Verizon
    Android Version: Gingerbread 2.3.4
    ROM Version: Custom ROM http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1087617

Are you a ROOT user? Yes

Steps to reproduce:

1)Get the android terminal emulator: http://www.appbrain.com/app/android-...al.androidterm

2) Open it up and with swype, type something like (by typing, not swyping):
    ping google.com

It will "auto correct" the above to pIng no matter how many times you try to go back and undo it. This is mostly annoying for terminal commands that are obviously not going to be in the dictionary.

Device Make/Model: lg vm670 optimus v
    Wireless Carrier: Virgin mobile
    Android Version: Gingerbread 2.3.4
    ROM Version: Custom ROM aospCmodOV

Are you a ROOT user? Yes

Steps to reproduce
    1)Get SL4A from google code android-scripting (devs say the terminal is based on ConnectBot)
    2) open a shell terminal
    3) with swype, type something like (by typing, not swyping):
    ping google.com

It will "auto correct" the above to pIng no matter how many times you try to go back and undo it. This is mostly annoying for terminal commands that are obviously not going to be in the dictionary.

We discovered this issue ourselves just a few days after launching the latest beta. The issue relates to how we handle the special field_type=NULL scenario which terminals use. It's inadvertently causing our predictive tap engine to treat each character typed as its own "prediction" and since we have Swype set up to always auto-capitalize the letter "i" in English, it does just that :P We've added a bug to our internal issue tracker and will be looking at suppressing auto-capitalization of the "i" character for field_type=NULL.

Sorry for the inconvenience and thanks for the bug reports! If you'd like, you can probably work around this bug by switching to another language that doesn't auto-caps 'i' such as Spanish or German. Hope that helps!

I've been working around the issue by manually entering each command with an 'i' in it to the dictionary (in a text editor app seperate from the terminal) as they glitch, so I can swype them instead of fumbling with single-key entry.
    might as well, if I liked to peck at the keyboard I'd be using one with a CTRL key anyway!
    thanks for the response and suggestion.
    Last edited by bigsupersquid; 06-18-2011 at 11:37 PM. Reason: fix typos

+ Reply to Thread