+ Reply to Thread

Thread: How to run Swype 3.0 beta if Swype was pre-installed on Verizon Droid X?

How to run Swype 3.0 beta if Swype was pre-installed on Verizon Droid X?

I would like to try out the new Swype beta 3.0 on my Droid X by Verizon. It is running Gingerbread 2.3, and came pre-installed with Swype out of the box. Am I am able to install and run the Swype 3.0 beta?

In my applications settings I am not given an option to uninstall Swype. Is anyone else in this situation, or does anyone have any recommendations?

Let me know if you know of a way to run the beta.

Thanks!

if you are rooted, you can go in with root explorer or super manager and manually delete the swype and swype library files, and then you can install the beta. otherwise, you can't do it.

You can also use Sdx Stock App Remover (need to be rooted also) to delete the package Swype.apk (stock Swype that comes with Gingerbread). Remember to back it up first (from Sdx Stock App Remover) before deleting it. Then just install the the beta according to their instructions.

I used the same method and it's running great on my Gingerbred 2.3.3

..orrrrrr, again, if you are rooted, use Titanium Backup to uninstall the apk...then you don't have to work about getting "down and dirty" with a root explorer. The Titanium app does the dirty work for you. It'll keep a backup of the "stock" Swype version that you can reload at any time.

Quote Originally Posted by dLo GSR View Post
    if you are rooted, you can go in with root explorer or super manager and manually delete the swype and swype library files, and then you can install the beta. otherwise, you can't do it.
    Yes, its me again...the one who suggested using Titanium to uninstall the pre-installed Swype apk and then install the beta. I got it kinda working but now I'm having problems...

If I uninstall the apk and then follow the beta installation instructions, everything is fine. As a matter of fact, as I'm typing this (on my computer) my phone has Swype's latest 3.5.xxx beta running just fine!! The PROBLEM, however, is after I reboot the phone. At that point, I get repeated and repeated rapid "force close" messages for "process.com.swype.android.inputmethod."

Following the force closes, I looked in the /system/lib files and removed the SwypeCore.so file that was associated with the old version of swype. Thought I was good to go, rebooted, waited...STILL force closed.

Since I'm rooted, I have no problem reinstalling the pre-installed version of Swype and getting back to where I was...I can even install the beta 3.5.xxx version...however, I CANNOT get Swype's beta 3.5 to stop force closing after a reboot.

Have you guys successfully running Swype beta after the apk removal experienced force closes?? What EXACTLY are the files I should remove?? I thought Titanium's uninstall would be all i needed...then I manually removed/moved the SwypeCore lib file. Is there anything else I need to do??

THANKS!!

First thing's first...put things back to the way they were, with Swype BETA uninstalled. Make everything as "stock swype" as you can

Next, use ADB to manually remove the Swype preinstall files. The following should do it for you:
    Code:
    adb shell
    # rm /system/app/Swype.apk
    # rm /system/lib/libSwypecore.so
    # rm -r /data/data/com.swype.android.inputmethod/ (needs the -r 'cause it's directory)
    Once you've done that, go ahead and install the beta. Make sure that EVERYTHING is gone before you install the beta. Using Titanium to freeze the system package can, and will, restore those files on reboot. Feel free to make backups to your pc or sdcard and NOT somewhere on the phone's internal memory of those files so you can restore them later if you need to. (# cp <file> /sdcard/<filename>, or from a terminal on your pc, 'adb pull <target_on_phone> <destination_on_pc>')

Brian, thanks so much for the above info!! I found this thread here related to the Droid X but assume that the above method works for an EVO as well, yes (as long as the commands are pointed to the correct files).

Question: once the removal of files is and the installation of the beta is complete, will all the removed files regenerate with the installation of the beta?? If I look with a root explorer, will I see a new lib files and com.swype.android.inputmethod directory as a result of the beta install?? Just wanna make sure that I'm supposed to have, I DO have...

THANKS AGAIN!!

Edit: PROBLEM FIXED...I THINK!!

I'm leaving my entire response below in case someone else has the same problems I had, however, it seems I might have fixed my force close problems by fixing permissions as was suggested to me. I booted up in recovery and ran "fix permissions" from clockworkmod. Rebooted and no force closes!!

Brian, I followed everything you suggested, removing the 3 files that you mentioned as well as following your other directions but I am STILL having problems.

I must NOTE however the following: (1) I interjected myself above before your response in this, a Droid X forum, but I have an HTC EVO and (2) I am not familiar/comfortable with the adb "shell" stuff and terminal commands so I used Root Explorer to mount the necessary directories writable to be able to remove the files that you suggested.

I thought perhaps that following your instructions would work with my EVO just as with a Droid X. If for some reason I must use ADB rather than Root Explorer to manually remove the files OR if your instructions, for some reason, will NOT work with my EVO, please advise. If this SHOULD have worked with my EVO, please see further below what I did and what my continuing problems are:

Quote Originally Posted by brian.resnik View Post
    First thing's first...put things back to the way they were, with Swype BETA uninstalled. Make everything as "stock swype" as you can

Next, use ADB to manually remove the Swype preinstall files. The following should do it for you:
    Code:
    adb shell
    # rm /system/app/Swype.apk
    # rm /system/lib/libSwypecore.so
    # rm -r /data/data/com.swype.android.inputmethod/ (needs the -r 'cause it's directory)
    To give you information on PRECISELY the files that I removed I did the following:

1. I uninstalled the Swype APK (I tried using Titanium and I also tried to "manually" removed the apk from /system/app/
    2. I removed the lib file with Root Explorer, specifically, the file on my device was named "libSwypeCore.2.50.72.20895.so"
    3. I removed the /data/data directory named "com.swype.android.inputmethod."

Now here are my ISSUES:

After deleting the above files using Root Explorer, everything seemed to work fine except and until I reboot. Upon reboot and startup, I start having those constant force-close notices pop up. The only fix at the moment is for me to change the input to stock "Touch," uninstall Swype, trash the com.swype.android.inputmethod directory, REINSTALL Swype and then reactivate Swype as my input method. I am then "fine"...but only until my next reboot

And here are my OBSERVATIONS:

1. After installing the beta, I noticed that the lib file is NOT regenerated. Is that good or bad??

2. I also noticed that it appears that the beta is not installed in the /system/app/ directory but in the /data/app directory. Makes SENSE because I REMOVED the "system app" and installed, instead, the beta...but just wanted to give a full picture of what is on my phone.

Other than the the fact that I did not use Terminal/ADB to remove the files, I believe I have followed your instructions to the letter...but I'm still having problems.

GREATLY APPRECIATE your time and any suggestions you might give as to why I am still getting fc's after following your instruction...THANK YOU!!
    Last edited by Shuggah; 06-19-2011 at 11:16 PM. Reason: Problem possibly resolved

+ Reply to Thread