Introducing Swype v3: Featuring Horizontal Word Choice List and Tap Correction!
SwypeInc is pleased to announce the BETA release of the latest version of Swype!
With this version come two major new features, and several minor changes, bringing Swype support to more devices, and more stability for existing devices
- In v3 of Swype, we're introducing full tap correction functionality. Having trouble getting the hang of Swype and just want to tap for a little while? Prefer to tap out some words while Swyping others? No need to switch keyboards! Swype's powerful tap prediction and correction engine is based on many of the same principles that make Swyping so effective
. We emphasize speed over accuracy, so tap away with reckless abandon and Swype will still make sure you're getting the words you want.
Automatic tap correction is enabled by default
, but you can control exactly how it behaves through the new "Word Suggestion" category in Swype's settings screen. Simply long-press the Swype key, choose "Options" and then go to "Word Suggestion." You'll be able to set whether corrections happen automatically, whether Swype shows the actual tapped characters or the first suggestion in the active text field, and whether to show word suggestions at all.
Horizontal Word Choice List (HWCL)
- While the pop-up Word Choice Window served us well for a long time, we have decided to utilize Android's built-in horizontal word choice list functionality, bringing us in line with evolving input standards.
Now, when you tap or Swype a word, suggestions will be displayed in a scrollable horizontal list above the keyboard
. This has several major advantages:
- No matter what happens, when you Swype something, a word will always be entered into the active text field.
- We're able to display more suggestions at a time.
- When you tap out a word, the characters you actually tapped - regardless of predictions - will appear at the beginning of the suggestion list.
- Choosing to use a word you tapped in when it's not in our dictionary will offer an option to add that word to your dictionary via the HWCL; no more automatically adding misspelled words to the dictionary.
- With v3 of Swype, we're now able to support tablets running Android Honeycomb
with a customized layout
and some awesome new features! The most noticable feature will be the "movable keyboard
." With Swype active, press the "keyboard size" button in the lower-right corner. This will shrink the Swype keyboard to a size that's more conducive to Swyping, and allow you to tap-and-drag on the sides of the keyboard to move Swype to the center of the screen, the bottom left, or bottom right corner. It's excellent for people who want a one-handed thumb-swyping experience on their tablet, and for moving the keyboard out of the way when it's blocking something in the app you're using!
Extended device support
- We've improved our licensing system in several ways, including the addition of support for devices that don't have a cellular plan
. Bought a WiFi only Motorola Xoom? Now you can download the Swype BETA too! The new licensing scheme will work on any device that was SHIPPED with Android 2.3 or above
, though older devices may work as well.
In addition to our licensing changes including better support for a wider range of devices, we've also fixed two pesky licensing bugs that many of you have complained about
- Swype will no longer fail to license after rebooting, with the error "Swype is configured for another device." This issue was due to a feature of new phones called "quickboot" and has been resolved.
- On CDMA devices, Swype was unable to authorize its license when the device was in Airplane Mode. Now, if Swype detects that your device is in Airplane Mode, things will continue running as they should.
These changes are in addition to a wide array of minor compatibility updates, bug fixes, behavior changes, and feature updates. Swype v3 is a major milestone for us and we're proud to provide our BETA users with a first look at the work we've been doing on Swype over the past several months. We look forward to hearing your feedback on our forums, and hope you enjoy this powerful new version of Swype!