View Poll Results: Should Swype have an option to turn off the Smiley Key or replace it with Enter key?

Voters
115. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes (turn off the smiley key/replace it with enter key options)

108 93.91%
  • No (the smiley key is fine just where it is)

7 6.09%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 26 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: "Enter" button instead of "Smile"

Yeah, same problem

What's up with this goofiness? Some of us are too old to use smileys.

Quote Originally Posted by anonymous View Post
    An 'Enter' button needs to be available in all typing modes, especially in email/gmail applications on Android 1.6. It may not be used as much in text, but line spacing in email is VERY common, and I can't do it with Swype.
    I am using the latest android and when messaging get a 'smiley' key rather than an enter key. Really annoying as cant start a new line! Can see this has been mentioned before with no comments or solutions mentioned from the administrators?

I am using the latest android and when messaging get a 'smiley' key rather than an enter key. Really annoying as cant start a new line! Can see this has been mentioned before with no comments or solutions mentioned from the administrators?

SMS allows 160 characters and none of those should be a carriage return. If you're needing multiple paragraphs in a text message, you are using the wrong medium for composing it.

Android supports keyboard variations by app natively exactly for the reason that it would be silly to have an Enter key in Messaging or a smiley key in GMail. Now with the latest update the smiley key seems to have been removed in favor of an Enter key. While I appreciate that some (misguided) people might want the Enter key in things like Messaging and Talk, it certainly isn't the standard and should at least be made optional.

The smiley key wasn't configured properly in the last release and doesn't show up properly. It will b4 fixed automatically in an OTA update some time this week. (maybe next x_x)

That being said Swype will only display the Smiley Key when entering text into input fields that the developer has flagged as SMS input fields (when we've configured it properly =P). In the example in the original post, although whatsapp is sending an SMS message the developers created the input box as a general text input box and Swype will display the normal keyboard accordingly.
    Rob Boehm
    Community Relations & Beta Associate
    rob.boehm [at] swype [dot] com

http://www.swype.com/wp-content/them...mages/logo.png
    Asus EEE Transformer | WiFi | 3.2 Honeycomb | Stock Firmware | Swype Beta
    HTC G2 Vision | T-Mo | 2.3.3 Gingerbread | CyanMod 7.0.2-Vision | Swype Beta
    HTC G1 Dream | WiFi | 2.2.1 Froyo | CyanMod 6.1.0-DS | Swype Beta

Please note, I will not respond to direct emails and messages for support until I'm able to attend to EVERY post in the forums. Please be patient. Thank you :-)

The SMS layer is currently bugged in the current beta release; However prior production releases should be functioning properly. Regarding missing the enter button in the SMS field not only is out standard Android convention not to display an enter key, but many networks do not accept line returns in SMS messages. Because of this Swype will replace the return key for the smiley key when entering text into a field that has been coded as an SMS field. This does not happen on Google's Gmail application as this input box is coded as a text field. If you're not receiving the enter key in your gmail application this tells me that you're using a custom gmail application that the developer did not correctly code the input box. This is a known problem with HTC devices using Sense UI including the Thunderbolt. However HTC has recently resolved this issue on the Thunderbolt and a fix should be available via an automated OTA update. Please contact Verizon if you are unable to update.
    Rob Boehm
    Community Relations & Beta Associate
    rob.boehm [at] swype [dot] com

http://www.swype.com/wp-content/them...mages/logo.png
    Asus EEE Transformer | WiFi | 3.2 Honeycomb | Stock Firmware | Swype Beta
    HTC G2 Vision | T-Mo | 2.3.3 Gingerbread | CyanMod 7.0.2-Vision | Swype Beta
    HTC G1 Dream | WiFi | 2.2.1 Froyo | CyanMod 6.1.0-DS | Swype Beta

Please note, I will not respond to direct emails and messages for support until I'm able to attend to EVERY post in the forums. Please be patient. Thank you :-)

Quote Originally Posted by yojlik View Post
    SMS allows 160 characters and none of those should be a carriage return. If you're needing multiple paragraphs in a text message, you are using the wrong medium for composing it.

ports
    oh sooooo texting in English isn't allowed.
    Only in emails.
    Good to know that you are on top of these things and letting us know.
    Also: enter button.
    I just installed the update not knowing I'd lose my enter button.
    Sad face.
    First time I needed it and there's no icon for it.
    Enter.

Quote Originally Posted by rob.boehm View Post
    The smiley key wasn't configured properly in the last release and doesn't show up properly. It will b4 fixed automatically in an OTA update some time this week. (maybe next x_x)

That being said Swype will only display the Smiley Key when entering text into input fields that the developer has flagged as SMS input fields (when we've configured it properly =P). In the example in the original post, although whatsapp is sending an SMS message the developers created the input box as a general text input box and Swype will display the normal keyboard accordingly.
    How can we override it to always be enter key? Not all of us are twelve
    Enter

Exclamation The infamous Smiley key vs ENTER (Carriage Return) Key

When Swype started forcing the Smiley key instead of the carriage return (ENTER) key back in a summer update, it was a big headache for me (detailed here: http://forum.swype.com/showthread.ph...ghlight=ravlen ).

Then, in a fall update, this was "fixed". I rejoiced and went back to swyping as per normal. Apparently, what I thought was a fix, was actually a "bug", and in the latest update we're back to seeing the smiley in "SMS" fields. As mentioned in my previous post, Softbank in Japan uses their own app ( https://market.android.com/details?i...ftbank.mb.mail ) for sending messages, which uses ONE field for SMS, MMS AND e-mail. Swype detects the SMS field and thus removes the enter key. This means I am unable to input carriage returns into E-MAILS, as well as SMS and MMS. It can't be done from the main language layer, not from the two alternate character layers, not from the numeric keypad layer, not even from the edit layer.

The smiley, though, is present EIGHT TIMES in the 5 layers. EIGHT. Twice in the main language layer (enter and Z key), twice in the first alternate character layer, twice in the second alternate layer, once in the numeric keypad layer, and once in the edit layer.

Really? EIGHT times for the smiley key? ZERO times for the carriage return? Why would anyone delve into the 2nd, 3rd, 4th or 5th layers for something available on the first layer? That makes no sense at all.

I saw some people argue that SMS was never intended for long messages, so carriage returns were never intended to be used. Yet, it is a part of the original SMS standard, the modern GSM messaging standards, etc... It's included in every character set used by every provider in every language in the world (UTF-16 or other). I'm sure everyone can think of uses for the carriage return in small messages, like separating the lines of addresses, or for separating distinct, yet short, thoughts.

Ex:
    123 Fake Street, Springfield, State, US, 90210
    vs
    123 Fake Street
    Springfield
    State, US

(Looking at the above example, I see that a carriage return would be useful before and after the "vs" too, to separate the examples).

I saw another post that details how you can switch the intended usage of the enter button in Handcent SMS from enter to smiley, and vice versa. So Handcent SMS acknowledges that people want carriage returns. The difference in my case is that my provider's app ( https://market.android.com/details?i...ftbank.mb.mail ) assumes you will always have carriage returns available in your keyboard. My provider's keyboard has BOTH a smiley and a carriage return button, and doesn't assume that another keyboard will remove access to the carriage return. There is no standard anywhere that says carriage returns should not be used in SMS or MMS, or in my case E-mails as well (since my provider's app uses the same field for SMS and E-mail).

Lastly, I've detailed in another post how the removal of the ENTER key actually breaks another language (Japanese). This language uses three different "alphabets", and Enter is NEEDED in the input process. ( http://forum.swype.com/showthread.ph...ghlight=ravlen ).

Additional Note:
    While I was looking again at Japanese input, I noticed that if you long-press "Smiley", it actually shows "Enter", but when you release your finger, it still only does a smiley (even though it indicated that it was going to put a carriage return by displaying "Enter" above your finger).

So, to finish this very long complaint/plea, please please please make the Carriage Return / Smiley switch OPTIONAL. If not, at least make it a long press option. It completely breaks e-mail input for me, as well as Japanese input.

Please? :'(

Ravlen

Interesting, I have Swype 3.26.D beta on my htc vivid and the smileys are not in place of the enter key even in the SMS field.

+ Reply to Thread