View Poll Results: Should Swype have an option to turn off the Smiley Key or replace it with Enter key?

Voters
116. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes (turn off the smiley key/replace it with enter key options)

109 93.97%
  • No (the smiley key is fine just where it is)

7 6.03%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 26 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: "Enter" button instead of "Smile"

Whether or not there is an enter button available is determined by the type of input field Swype is entering into. If the field is unable to receive a return character (i.e. into an SMS field) the enter key is not available. Where as if you're drafting an email in Gmail Swype will show the enter key in place of the simile button.
    Rob Boehm
    Community Relations & Beta Associate
    rob.boehm [at] swype [dot] com

http://www.swype.com/wp-content/them...mages/logo.png
    Asus EEE Transformer | WiFi | 3.2 Honeycomb | Stock Firmware | Swype Beta
    HTC G2 Vision | T-Mo | 2.3.3 Gingerbread | CyanMod 7.0.2-Vision | Swype Beta
    HTC G1 Dream | WiFi | 2.2.1 Froyo | CyanMod 6.1.0-DS | Swype Beta

Please note, I will not respond to direct emails and messages for support until I'm able to attend to EVERY post in the forums. Please be patient. Thank you :-)

SMS fields are able to receive a return character. Even the simplest of phones with a Symbol menu have a line break character (usu. as the last option). When you send an SMS online you can send a line break character. So far, every method I've seen to send an SMS, except the Swype keyboard, allow a line break. It would be best if the smiley button were replaced with a line break character instead, at least on the Symbol view. Line breaks can help a lot with readability of text messages- for example, this message would read much nicer with line breaks.

Whether or not it's necessary, I find it hard to believe there is no way to enter a 'line break' or 'carriage return'.

Has no one figured this out?
    Is there somewhere we can look for more information?

I think the point that Rob was trying to make is that this is an application controlled variable. The application Handcent SMS for example (free on the Android market) allows you to choose between whether that key is used for smilies or as a line-break key. It's a field-type variable that application programs can set, which we respect when displaying the keyboard. You'll find that other keyboards that DON'T show a smiley key are actually not respecting the wishes of the application developer.

I was digging around with this after posting and found it odd that no matter what keyboard was up the smile button was available.

Thought it may be relevant to place a carriage return key in place of the smiley key on the arrow keys keyboard. My concern with that however would be if a developer designed their app to use the smiley key and was not built to handle a return character what kinds of problems could that create? Or do we even care about those problems? :-)
    Rob Boehm

Please note, I will not respond to direct emails and messages for support until I'm able to attend to EVERY post in the forums. Please be patient. Thank you :-)

much as i appreciate your (pl) point about the enter/go/smiley key being application-dependent, it seems to me that the big picture is that users want to be able to use the return key, irrespective of whether a semantic argument about whether SMSs 'need' carriage returns finds those users to be 'wrong' or 'right'. Since it could be available either in the smiley position when in numbers mode OR as a type of smiley, can this not be added to the request list? I can't imagine it's a huge job...

My reason for wanting it: separating points, but especially: jokes & insults where the carriage returns give the impression of a long pause. E.g.:

"Have a great weekend.

You dick"

British insult-driven humour needs this key. Cheers!

Just to touch base on this I wanted to bring up that personally I'm of the mind that even in SMS we need to have an enter key on the edit layer (accessed from swype to sym key). Keep in mind though that we have several conflicting opinions (both internal at Swype, and external here with our public beta testers) that it's often impossible to move forward quickly with even the most simple of requests.
    Rob Boehm

Just want to add my vote for the 'Return' key rather than the Smiley for the above stated reasons.

Hope this Handcent doesn't mess me up.

Why doesn't "Enter" key appear when in "Messaging" but appears elsewhere

The bottom right (last) button when typing a message to someone is always a smiley button. How do I use the "Enter" key function when sending smses to enter a new line? I just can't figure this out.

However, same behavior is NOT noticed when using whatsapp or email, etc. The "enter" key button appears by default.

Here're the respective screenshots:

+ Reply to Thread