Closed Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Announcement RE: HTC EVO beta users + OTA update 3.70.651.1

I was able to fix my rooted evo by factory resetting my evo. This enabled swype. From there I went to Revoked3 to root my evo again. It works so far.

There's timing for you! I've been waiting for your beta to open up (because I really don't want to give money to SlideIt until I've given you a good chance to capture my business), and what do you know, it shows up in a Sprint update for my HTC Evo.

Of course, that does mean I won't be giving you money directly after all; but that's not bad from MY point of view :-)

Using the Beta version of Swype on the Evo

Brian
    I never knew about Swype until the OTA update and now I have it, I love it. I would like to use the beta version because it fixes a lot of issues - like the tips appearing every time I select a word that is overridden by a word I added to the dictionary.

Is there any way of getting the beta updates or do I have to wait 3 years until Sprint decides it's time to give us on update? Without rooting the phone of course.

Also - some people seem to be able to use Swype to enter the password on the unlock phone screen - but on my phone the password screen only uses the touch keyboard. Is there any way to make it so that the password can be entered by Swyping? I can't use the pattern unlock because in order to receive my corporate e-mail on my phone we have to have a 8 character (or more) password.
    Last edited by BMGRAHAM; 03-22-2011 at 10:07 AM. Reason: I had not read all the posts on this page.

Quote Originally Posted by dzuchowski View Post
    Perhaps their should be a class action lawsuit over this.
    Oh please - this doesn't warrant a class action suit!

Quote Originally Posted by DonCorneo View Post
    The answer is simply that Swype is not planned for release on the Android Market; it is planned to be included as part of the included applications on Android phones from the Service Providers and/or Manufacturers.
    You void the phone's Warranty when you root the phone or use a mod ROM. Since Swype is paid to supply the application for OEM phones, you can not have an expectation of Swype working with a phone that is no longer the same as what Swype was made to work on.

It is a risk when you root the phone, and/or use a mod ROM. You took the risk so you lost any legitimate reason to complain that Swype won't work on your modified phone.
    If you want to complain to anyone, complain to the person(s) who wrote the mod ROM, or how to root your phone, and ask them to fix what is "broken".

Since Swype is trying to help you and find a way to make Swype work with none OEM phones, I'd think you would be thanking them for trying. It is a loss for them to try and help you, but they are doing it anyway.

Stop blaming Swype because you decided to alter/modify your phone in such a way Swype was not intended to run on.
    Is this the official position of swype or your opinion? My phone was rooted when i became a beta tester. I've only used swype on rooted phones. Why is my device "broken" now that swype is no longer available.

I'm a user of a rooted ROM and I'm very sad to find out i won't be able to use swype any more. Thanks for letting me use your app for awhile. I enjoyed it. Goodluck to you and i hope to see a worthy competitor for rooted users soon. While I love swype, I love my rooted devices more.

Quote Originally Posted by drfosters View Post
    Since they want us to be intimately familiar with our devices, for those of you who installed the OTA update and wish to go back to the beta, here are the directions:
    First pull a copy of your swype "beta" .apk from your old (or not so old) nandroid / titanium backup (if you don't have one than I guess you are just not intimately familiar :-)).
    Go into "root explorer", mount as r/w & delete your current swype.apk (backup first). Next, navigate to system/lib/libSwypeCore.so and delete / rename, repeat for /data/dalvik-cache/system@app@Swype.apk@classes.dex. Restart the device before trying to install the beta!

Admin feel free to delete my post if you don't like it, but it don't think it violates your rules, according to your "Terms and Conditions" you are only ineligible for Swype Beta if your device ships with it preloaded, being that the Evo didn't...... Anyways I'm just doing my part to help the community to that stage of intimacy....

Cheers.
    i thought the sprint eve did ship w it pre-installed...? i have swype, but i never installed it - i simply chose it after long-pressing a text field.

regardless, i want the dragon capability after using smartkey for a month. is this possible for me? if so, how?

thanks!

Worked thanks.

Closed Thread