Closed Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Announcement RE: HTC EVO beta users + OTA update 3.70.651.1

peteg72

Dear Brian,

I am also an EVO user and I have the same problem as a few other posters here. I first uninstalled the Swype Installer and Swype. Then I installed the new installer and when trying to log in, received a code saying: Swype in not available for this device for the following reason: Swype for EVO is Available in the latest OTA update

I found your post here and followed the instructions: Uninstalled Swype installer and rebooted phone. Then: longpress blank screen and change input method to Swype. Swype is not there as an option!

I checked for firmware updates and HTC updates and this didn't work either. Is there something else we can do to fix this?

I see others have the same problem so I probably won't be the last to ask. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I just don't want to loose my Swype!

Thanks Brian,

Peter G.

Update!!

I just did another check for HTC updates. Sucess!! The OTA update was available and after update, Swype was an option on the text input list. I think this version is better as it has the voice entry option through the google voice app. Thanks Swype!!
    Last edited by peteg72; 12-23-2010 at 4:24 AM. Reason: UPDATE

Success!

Thanks, this was exactly the info I was looking for.

Did the OTA update for my EVO 4g a couple days ago, got the Force Close errors when trying to use Swype, so I've been laboring with the default keyboard.

Uninstalled Swype, uninstalled Swype Installer, then saw there was no Swype at all. Usually with OTA stuff, you can't uninstall the base program so I panicked a little when I saw that Swype had disappeared completely from the apps list. Maybe it's a service and not an app so it doesn't necessarily show up on the list?

At any rate, rebooting made Swype magically reappear. I got one Force Close error the first time I used it, but it worked fine without having to do anything special after I clicked 'close'.

I thought I was going to hate going from a physical keyboard to a 100% touchscreen device, and I would if I didn't have Swype. Can't stand even the better predictive typing apps because I like to think in complete words, not half words and having to get used to how much of a word I need to type before it knows what I'm trying to say. With Swype, I can concentrate on saying what I want to say without a second step of confirming what I typed (unless I see that it got it wrong).

Thanks guys!

When I was running the stock Sprint Sense ROM, I refused to take any of the OTA updates. It broke more than it fixed. Now, I have been happily running alternative roms, (Lately, MIUI) and have been using Swype for months with no issues whatsoever. Today, I upgraded to the latest release of MIUI and Swipe failed to install as a result of the EVO update. I have not, can not, and absolutely will not recieve the OTA updates from Sprint, but do believe that Swype is a far superior entry-method than any on-screen or external keyboard.

Why won't any Swype officials responded to any of the many posts stating the same?

I would like to hear an official response from Swype.!

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by gryffyn View Post
    Thanks, this was exactly the info I was looking for.

Did the OTA update for my EVO 4g a couple days ago, got the Force Close errors when trying to use Swype, so I've been laboring with the default keyboard.

Uninstalled Swype, uninstalled Swype Installer, then saw there was no Swype at all. Usually with OTA stuff, you can't uninstall the base program so I panicked a little when I saw that Swype had disappeared completely from the apps list. Maybe it's a service and not an app so it doesn't necessarily show up on the list?

At any rate, rebooting made Swype magically reappear. I got one Force Close error the first time I used it, but it worked fine without having to do anything special after I clicked 'close'.

I thought I was going to hate going from a physical keyboard to a 100% touchscreen device, and I would if I didn't have Swype. Can't stand even the better predictive typing apps because I like to think in complete words, not half words and having to get used to how much of a word I need to type before it knows what I'm trying to say. With Swype, I can concentrate on saying what I want to say without a second step of confirming what I typed (unless I see that it got it wrong).

Thanks guys!
    I'll second that. Mine works now and I did exactly as described above. Apparently, swype is installed on the ROM and can't be deleted.
    Daniel Reynolds
    Designated Broker
    Broker Executives, Inc.
    Evmls.com
    Arizona Army National Guard
    1/158th IN D. CO
    Gunner-Afghanistan 07-08'

Yup. Swype is a service in the Evo 3.70 OTA update.

Swyped from my Evo 4G using Tapatalk

Yup, entirely useless to those of us who root our phones and use Cyanogen or MIUI. Great job Swype team!

I keep getting an error message I am not using an Android (I can assure you that I am). What do I do?

Quote Originally Posted by hill10003 View Post
    I keep getting an error message I am not using an Android (I can assure you that I am). What do I do?
    This message means that you may have your brower in "desktop mode", or are using something other than the Android default browser (like Skyfire or Opera Mini). To turn the Mobile View setting back on in the Android browser - Open your browser settings (click menu > more > settings) and locate the option for "Mobile view." Click the checkmark next Mobile View if it is unchecked and retry the download link from your email. If the setting is enabled and you are still getting this error, please head to our forums for support.

I have an HTC EVO 4G. It wasn't responding about a week ago and was using the regular soft keyboard. I decided that I should un-install everything and install again today. After taking everything off from the application manager, I tried to install the Swype installer again. When accessed the Swype installer, at first it gave me an error that there's an OTA update. I looked up this conversation and tried to restart, this time it told me "ATTENTION! Swype is not properly licensed. To fix- Press "Disable Swype" and 1) uncheck the box next to Swype then, 2) hit the BACK button to return and "Generate Licences". There is one big problem with that: Swype is uninstalled from my phone so I don't get the option of disabling Swype. At the same time, there is still a Swype option box that doesn't seem to go away no matter what I do trying to clear it, disable it, delete it, etc. This leaves the Generate License button grayed out. Any suggestions?

Angry we demand answers!

Quote Originally Posted by shadowcreeper View Post
    Yup, entirely useless to those of us who root our phones and use Cyanogen or MIUI. Great job Swype team!
    some of us who take control of our technology simply don't mind for how sprint sets up their phones. let us use your service, even if we don't use all of sprint's!

we demand answers!

Closed Thread