Closed Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Announcement RE: HTC EVO beta users + OTA update 3.70.651.1

This won't work for my case either. I must have been running an older version of the sprint software, because I never had swype as an option...that I was aware of. When I go to uninstall, the only option to uninstall is the "swype installer" not "swype"

The swype error message reads: Swype for EVO is available in the latest OTA update!

After inquiring to Sprint about why my phone had no updates and I couldn't get Swype, I receive this canned response:

Dear Tyler,

Thank you for contacting Sprint regarding the Swype.

As of now we do not have any updates regarding the Swype, I am unable
    provide the details you requested. If Sprint offers it in the future,
    you will find product and pricing details on Sprint.com and in
    promotional information at our retail stores. We encourage you to watch
    news reports or monitor our web site to see if a change in availability
    occurs

We value your business and appreciate the opportunity to answer your
    questions. Please reply to this email or visit sprint.com if we can be
    of assistance.

Sincerely,
    Jenifer J.
    Sprint

HI
    I did follow your instructions and uninstalled the swype (not the installer) I rebooted the EVO and went to the text mode and did a long press of the "
    Input Method" It did give me the option of Swype and I thought all is well. However I am pretty sure I have the old version on the installer I have Version 1.0. On Swype I have version 2.7.49.12469. I looked at your versions and none of mine match. Should I uninstall everything and start over again??
    Thank you
    Shirley

Easy

well i'm not sure why this seems so hard for everyone else. there was some confusion on here at first until i realized i no longer needed to be in the beta. uninstalled the beta, rebooted, selected Swype and have had no problem what so ever. I have the newest version, 2.7.49.12469. thank you Swype for making this possible.

Im having a problem... I have used swype for a long time and love it, but today it stopped working. There was a blue background that would light up when I pressed anykeys... In the past I would just hold the center of the typing screen, choose "touch" then choose "swype" kind of like reboot.

Anyway, today it came up with a box saying the version trial had ended (i had it for like 7 months) and that I need to reinstall/update. So I uninstalled the program, and installed a new one from the email invite.

I keep getting the message after I log in, that its "fetching newest version" then an error message comes up and says "Error: Swype in not available for this device for the following reason: Swype for EVO is Available in the latest OTA update!

What does this mean??? I miss swype :(

deleted ota swype to keep beta, lost both

I uninstalled the ota swype thinking I wouldn't need it because I've been using beta and it works just fine. That was a huge mistake. Forceclose over and over. So I decided to remove swype entirely thinking I could download the beta again with no problem. It said something about your device includes it with the ota update. Been there, done that and That's why I am here. How can I download again. I can't install the HTCupdate again.
    Daniel Reynolds
    Designated Broker
    Broker Executives, Inc.
    Evmls.com
    Arizona Army National Guard
    1/158th IN D. CO
    Gunner-Afghanistan 07-08'

Yeah, this is pretty terrible for us Beta users. I mean, it's great that Swype is getting put on more phones and I love that, but depending on the provider to provide updates sucks very very bad. As in, they don't. But hey, don't worry guys, you have a new Demo version of some game you've never heard of and can't uninstall!

Thank you thank you thank you!!!! I was up too late last night trying to get the installer to reinstall Swype and was running into the problem of press "disable", but the next screen showed NO box to unclick. My fabulous EVO just wasn't the same fabulous without Swype. Swype is back and fully functional and there is a god, or at least there's Brian Resnik- thanks!!!!

Since they want us to be intimately familiar with our devices, for those of you who installed the OTA update and wish to go back to the beta, here are the directions:
    First pull a copy of your swype "beta" .apk from your old (or not so old) nandroid / titanium backup (if you don't have one than I guess you are just not intimately familiar :-)).
    Go into "root explorer", mount as r/w & delete your current swype.apk (backup first). Next, navigate to system/lib/libSwypeCore.so and delete / rename, repeat for /data/dalvik-cache/system@app@Swype.apk@classes.dex. Restart the device before trying to install the beta!

Admin feel free to delete my post if you don't like it, but it don't think it violates your rules, according to your "Terms and Conditions" you are only ineligible for Swype Beta if your device ships with it preloaded, being that the Evo didn't...... Anyways I'm just doing my part to help the community to that stage of intimacy....

Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by drfosters View Post
    Since they want us to be intimately familiar with our devices, for those of you who installed the OTA update and wish to go back to the beta, here are the directions:
    First pull a copy of your swype "beta" .apk from your old (or not so old) nandroid / titanium backup (if you don't have one than I guess you are just not intimately familiar :-)).
    Go into "root explorer", mount as r/w & delete your current swype.apk (backup first). Next, navigate to system/lib/libSwypeCore.so and delete / rename, repeat for /data/dalvik-cache/system@app@Swype.apk@classes.dex. Restart the device before trying to install the beta!

Admin feel free to delete my post if you don't like it, but it don't think it violates your rules, according to your "Terms and Conditions" you are only ineligible for Swype Beta if your device ships with it preloaded, being that the Evo didn't...... Anyways I'm just doing my part to help the community to that stage of intimacy....

Cheers.
    I think I could follow along...but I don't have a copy of my old swype beta .apk. Anywhere I can pull one for the EVO?

Closed Thread