Closed Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Announcement RE: HTC EVO beta users + OTA update 3.70.651.1

Announcement RE: HTC EVO beta users + OTA update 3.70.651.1

HTC EVO + SWYPE BETA
    + OTA FIRMWARE 3.70.651.1

All HTC EVO users should be aware that the latest Over-the-Air update from Sprint includes Swype PreLoaded. If you currently have the BETA version of Swype installed on your device and try to install this update, you will experience constant crashing of Swype with the message “The application Swype (process com.swype.android.inputmethod) has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again”

To resolve this issue, you must uninstall Swype BETA and reboot your device by following these steps:
    • Whenever you see a window telling you that com.swype.android.inputmethod has crashed, press the Force Close button
    • From your home screen, press the Menu button and choose Settings
    • Go to Applications -> Manage Applications
    • In the downloaded applications list, select Swype
    • Press the Uninstall button, then press OK to uninstall Swype beta.
    • Reboot your device by holding down the power button and choosing Power Off

Once your device has rebooted, you will be able to use the preloaded version of Swype by long-pressing on any text field, choosing Input Method, and selecting Swype. Note - Swype will not be available until AFTER you have rebooted!

Well I dont want the old outdated version of swype that you cant swype with and dont have the blue backlit keys. I want to use the swype beta that i was using. So how do I use the swype beta that I had installed earlier? I reset my storage before I installed the update and then ran the update to the new rom. Now I cant install the beta. Perhaps their should be a class action lawsuit over this.

When the update was installed the sywpe istallation could not complete. I uninstalled the swype beta and tried to reinstall with the swype loader which directed me to disable swype in the text settings by unchecking the box, pressing the back button which would allow me to relicense the loader, I assume. There was no check box next to swype in the text settings menu. Returning to the previous screen just wanted me to repeat the previous proceedure. I have gone through and deleted most of the swype files except for /system/app/Swype.apk and /system/lib/libSwypreCore. When I attempt to delete these two files I get and error message"Error in deleting file". I need help, thanks

myronholm: Swype is now PreLoaded on the EVO with the latest update. Completely remove everything relating to the beta, and reboot your device. Then go to any text-box, long-press the input field, select Input Method, and choose Swype. You'll be all set.

Quote Originally Posted by brian.resnik View Post
    myronholm: Swype is now PreLoaded on the EVO with the latest update. Completely remove everything relating to the beta, and reboot your device. Then go to any text-box, long-press the input field, select Input Method, and choose Swype. You'll be all set.
    Brian, is there a workaround to installing the latest beta instead of the OTA update? I fixed my force-close issue and am working fine on my EVO, except that the version included with the OTA update has the pop-up tips problem for "hidden" words that was fixed in the last beta update. I cannot uncheck the swype box to generate a license via the swype installer.

The following is stated publically and with no obvious or known avenues of recourse:
    First, that I understand that stability and full functionality is the goal of all beta testing,
    AND that once a stable version is developed it is released en mass through established channels of automatic and mystic Over the Air updating on selected devices,
    AND since I have an “HTC EVO 4G on the Sprint Now Network” with an expected update numbered by the Droid gods as 3.70.651.1,
    THAT I am THEREFORE bound by fate to be forever isolated and separated from Swype Beta testing,
    AND, further, I shall be stricken from the rolls and banned from the chosen realm of the "Swype Beta-Droid Minions,"
    I THEREFORE, state publically and with no malice or ill intent that I sure am glad I still have my little microphone button!

Keep up the good work, and please do not forget to periodically update the version to which those of us who have been exiled to the far reaches of "Pre-Installed" and provider-based OTA updates are bound in perpetuity and permanency forevermore, amen.
    Last edited by jeffpence; 12-21-2010 at 4:53 AM.

I have a custom rom on my evo and my swype beta expired. I wont use sprint ota updates, so does this mean I can no longerget swype? I'll gladly pay for it people!

Quote Originally Posted by crazylegs View Post
    I have a custom rom on my evo and my swype beta expired. I wont use sprint ota updates, so does this mean I can no longerget swype? I'll gladly pay for it people!
    I'm in the same boat. This is the most important app on my phone, and I would pay a good chunk of money for it, but I won't use Sprint updates, as I love my root. Please allow us to install via the installer in addition to the OTA update! =D

Brian - More Update Problems

Hi;

First, thanks for the screen-shot tutorial. Not sure I needed it, but nice to see (very clearly) what to do.

Second, I went to update and again had problems. (Seems every install and update is full of problems)

I have a Sprint Evo, been running Swype since the summer. Love it.

I followed the directions. Uninstall, power off, resend email for access, download.

Oddly enough, I got two different installers 32.apk and 42.apk. Neither worked for me.

After downloading installer and logging in to get the app I get a message that ..."not available for this device... Swype for Evo is available in latest OTA update"

OTA? Over the air? Fine, but that does not tell me what to do next. Is there another post on the forum here to clear all this up?

I thank you for your help, but I have to tell the greater Swype community to get this stuff nailed down. I'm about to dump this one and go with another of the input apps. I have 50 apps, nothing is as consistently hard to keep running as Swype.

Thanks again,

MD

Hi,

I followed the instructions on uninstalling Swype. I also uninstalled the Swype Installer that I used to get the Beta. I rebooted my phone, twice. Long-pressing in a text field and selecting "Input Method" does not give me any option for Swype.

What else needs to be done? I can't live without Swype! :P

Closed Thread