+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Worried about the "input method may be able to collect all the text you type"......

Worried about the "input method may be able to collect all the text you type"......

Hi,
    I'm a hopeful new beta user for swype but am concerned about the ATTENTION message that comes up when I try to enable swype. "This input method may be able to collect all the text you type, including personal data like passwords and credit card numbers......" Anyone else concerned about this? I do NOT want any application collecting my text data much less passwords and/or credit card info. How do I know if this is protected or not? So until I get a good answer, I continue to be a swype hopeful.

Thanks for any information,
    hilbee

Hilbee,

Don't be worried about this. This is a blanket message that Android displays for all downloaded text input applications. It does this because you would use a program such as swype to to input this potentially sensitive data, and it wouldn't be difficult for one to write a program that would record this data and send it to their own personal benefit. Swype is a legitimate application that many smart phone developers are beginning to use as a stock keyboard. You have nothing to fear from the Swype keyboard, however, you should be weary of other text input applications should you choose to use them.

Regards from another user,
    Blackthorne

Blackthorne~
    Thank you so much for your response! What you said makes total sense. I'm getting ready to 'agree' to the terms of swype on my dinc and can't wait to get started.
    Appreciate your time!

Hilbee

It is a good reply and helped me decide as well.
    Many do not understand the implications of a boiler plate like this.

+ Reply to Thread