Announcing the 5th release of the Swype BETA for Android
We're happy to bring you version 126.96.36.19970 of Swype BETA for Android. We've made some pretty fantastic upgrades with this version, including adding some new requested features and addressing some reported bugs. Read on for details...
First and foremost - We've resolved an accuracy issue that was introduced in the last beta update. Refer to the changelog for more detail on this critical fix.
Second - Swype BETA for Android now supports Double-Tap-to-Edit! Swype choose a wrong word? Just tap the word twice to bring up the word choice window, pick the correct word, and the cursor will return to wherever it was before. It doesn't get any simpler! See a video demonstration, and check out our other tips and tricks.
And Third - Swype BETA for Android now includes a Voice-to-Text button (available for QWERTY layouts ONLY)! You MUST have Google Voice Search pre-integrated in your ROM for this feature to work. We wish everyone could access it, and are working to adapt our existing code to support versions of Voice Search downloaded from the market, as well as other voice search providers, in our next update.
Users with access to the beta can begin downloading the update immediately by pointing their device's browser to http://beta.swype.com/android/get
Some additional details...
- You'll see much less of that pesky "Hidden Word" popup (though it will still show up once in a while)
- Names from the address book will no longer muscle out all other words for top spot in the word-choice-window.
- NEW SELF-UPDATING INSTALLER! This update includes a new installer with some long-needed feature updates.
- The new installer will self-update when you launch it, if necessary, so you'll NEVER have to uninstall and re-install the installer via our website. Just keep the installer on your device, and launch it periodically - If needed you'll be given the option to update it with just a click.
- We've converted the installation app from an "application" to a "service" so that the Android activity manager and other 3rd party task killers won't end the install process prematurely. That means no more rebooting, swap file, or voodoo witchcraft required!
- The installer now includes a repair function. If for any reason Swype stops working, simply re-launch the installer and you'll be guided through the steps necessary to get Swype running again.
- Pour nos utilisateurs parlant franšais, nous avons ajoutÚ le support de langue franšaise. Profitez Swype dans la langue de l'amour!
- EXPERIMENTAL support for Chinese Pinyin. The way you enter text is significantly different from other languages, so you'll need to read the Chinese Help to learn how.
Enjoy the update and make sure to leave your feedback here on the forums!