+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Swype makes almost 4000 location requests every day

Quote Originally Posted by Solutions Etcetera View Post
    This is a swype issue.
    I totally agree.

Might be what's causing those slowdowns while Swype is activated.

I'm wondering if this "bug" has anything to do with the battery drain issue some users are experiencing. It could be that this need to check location is causing the partial wakelock which prevents the device going into deep sleep. Certainly there is one big similarity here - Nuance do not seem to fully understand how this product works.

I am running KitKat with a ROM called BeanStalk, which is based off CyanogenMod11. It also has this privacy guard, though i never knew about it.
    So I checked my location requests and, while Swype was approved to be taking location readings, it never had. Location: (Never used) . Something is wrong on your device, and that is quite crazy. 2.5 times per minute is ridiculous. You can always block the request with the privacy guard.
    Sounds like a bug. what are you specifically running? Mine says "Swype + Dragon version 1.6.5.23769"

Quote Originally Posted by chronovivx View Post
    I am running KitKat with a ROM called BeanStalk, which is based off CyanogenMod11. It also has this privacy guard, though i never knew about it.
    So I checked my location requests and, while Swype was approved to be taking location readings, it never had. Location: (Never used) . Something is wrong on your device, and that is quite crazy. 2.5 times per minute is ridiculous. You can always block the request with the privacy guard.
    Sounds like a bug. what are you specifically running? Mine says "Swype + Dragon version 1.6.5.23769"
    I'm running the exact same version. It certainly is possible that something is wrong on my device, and as stated, I have blocked it with privacy guard. However, it also seems that something might be wrong on your device too. From earlier in the thread:

Quote Originally Posted by Jacob.W View Post
    We check for last known location in order to provide regional dialects via Living Language.
    So, it seems that Swype should be checking for location at least once. Of course this doesn't prove anything one way or another, but perhaps is slightly less conclusive.

I installed Cyanogenmod (10.2.1 / Android 4.3.1) on my HTC One (m7) about 48 hours ago and I see now that Swype has already requested my location 7343 times! I'm running Swype + Dragon 1.6.5.23769. Obviously, they have not addressed issue.

(On a side note, it has also read my contacts list 6 times, my call log 43 times and received 6 SMS/MMS messages. The contact list makes sense, but reading call log and receiving messages? What for?)

So... I have disabled nearly all of these additional features.

Living language/backup and sync/social integration/Dragon/contribute usage data/data over cellular network

Yet it still appears to be accessing my location information. For what reason now? I'm already a little nervous about using 3rd party keyboards when it comes to data privacy. What possible reason does it need this information for when I disabled it back to a simple swype keyboard?

I'm curious as to what Nuance has to say about this considering their last response was that it was for living language... a feature I have disabled.

I really didn't find any satisfactory answer about this problem. Seriously Swype, you even don't need location permission.

Angry

Stop this issue NOW.
    We pay for this app, please respect our privacy.

I was very disappointed to hear this. I had rushed to purchase the Swype app when it was available because of my happiness with the beta. Now, I could not recommend Swype until this is resolved. Some of us are not able to root our phones, due to access work data.

I have a "Contribute Usage Data" button under "Data Management" under "My Words" (in settings). Can anyone with similar button on a rooted phone check if clearing that prevents the location requests? These settings are under version 1.6.5.23769.

+ Reply to Thread