+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Swype makes almost 4000 location requests every day

Quote Originally Posted by whatdayathink1 View Post
    I have a "Contribute Usage Data" button under "Data Management" under "My Words" (in settings). Can anyone with similar button on a rooted phone check if clearing that prevents the location requests? These settings are under version 1.6.5.23769.
    That button has never been activated here. I currently have 16736 denied location requests in addition to the 7343 location requests allowed before I revoked the permission. Since April 26.

Other options: Living Language is disabled, Backup & Sync has not been enabled, I have not done any "Social integration". "Cellular data" is enabled.

is there really no update on this since an Administrator replied on the 24th December?

Nuance Statement:
    At Nuance, we take privacy very seriously. The location requests you may see occurring when using the Swype app are actually notifications of changes to location from the Android Operating System. We do not actively ping for location information. Swype may show more notifications than some other applications because as a keyboard it is almost always running, even when not visible. Only a small number of these instances are used. The location information that we do use is very important because it allows us to improve our language models and user experience. Swype has a feature that sends to devices regionally specific dictionary extensions, and the data will help develop new regional databases we build in the future. We do not track or store location when the keyboard is not actively being used.

Thanks
    -Swype Community Management

Quote Originally Posted by Jacob.W View Post
    Nuance Statement:
    At Nuance, we take privacy very seriously. The location requests you may see occurring when using the Swype app are actually notifications of changes to location from the Android Operating System. We do not actively ping for location information. Swype may show more notifications than some other applications because as a keyboard it is almost always running, even when not visible. Only a small number of these instances are used. The location information that we do use is very important because it allows us to improve our language models and user experience. Swype has a feature that sends to devices regionally specific dictionary extensions, and the data will help develop new regional databases we build in the future. We do not track or store location when the keyboard is not actively being used.

Thanks
    -Swype Community Management
    You could also get that information if you have a look at the keyboard language setting. that would be enought information.

The location information that we do use is very important because it allows us to improve our language models and user experience. Swype has a feature that sends to devices regionally specific dictionary extensions, and the data will help develop new regional databases we build in the future.
    This sounds even worse, if I understand correctly. Are you saying that in order to improve your regional languages, users are uploading words that they use? Even if they have opted out of "contribute usage data"?

Come on, Swype, that's just silly. There's no reason in the world you would need to do this through location. Please remove all location checks ASAP. I'm uninstalling until such time as this invasive app behavior is removed.

To clarify, if you don’t want Nuance to use location information to make improvements to Swype, you can disable our connected services and uncheck the “contribute usage data” in Settings > My Words. You can also disable location services in Android and continue to use all Swype features, but we will no longer use location.

Thank you

To clarify, if you don’t want Nuance to use location information to make improvements to Swype, you can disable our connected services and uncheck the “contribute usage data” in Settings > My Words.
    I just tested this. Even with this unchecked, Swype still checks for location data.

You can also disable location services in Android and continue to use all Swype features, but we will no longer use location.
    This will also prevent all other apps from using location services.

Quote Originally Posted by Humboldt View Post
    Are you saying that in order to improve your regional languages, users are uploading words that they use? Even if they have opted out of "contribute usage data"?
    Can you please answer this question?

Could this be related?

I think that's why Swype gets so laggy sometimes. I notice it's much slower when I'm on the go versus in a static location.

+ Reply to Thread