Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Swype makes almost 4000 location requests every day

Thumbs down Swype makes almost 4000 location requests every day

Device Make/Model: Samsung Galaxy S3
    Android Version: 4.3.1
    ROM Version: CyanogenMod 10.2.0
    Are you a root user? Yes.
    Swype Version: 1.6.5.23769

I just installed CyanogenMod 10.2 on my phone, and was delighted with the "Privacy Guard" feature. This feature allows you to see (and block) what permissions apps have. In four days, Swype accessed my location data 14989 times. That is, 3750 times a day, or 2.5 times a minute. I can see from some other threads that Nuance are reticent to comment on why they need location data, but the extent of this havesting is quite scary! Can anyone from Nuance comment on this?

Screenshot here.

That's interesting. Might be what's causing some of the lag. Some abandoned unnecessary piece of code that is still running.

Swyped from my LG G2 VS980 using Tapatalk Pro

I'd like to have a statement from Swype about this. Is Nuance in the business of data-mining now?

Nuance's business IS data mining. It's how they improve Dragon. This is probably an oversight because they still don't understand the Swype code.

Swyped from my LG G2 VS980 using Tapatalk Pro

I'm not sure how active Nuance are in this forum, so if they don't reply, then I'll send them an email instead. I've found them to be responsive in the past.

Also, in this post-Snowden era, I think users should be paranoid. I'll keep an open mind, but I'll need a lot of convincing to write this off as an "oversight" and "abandoned unnecessary piece of code".

Hi Humboldt,

This definitely sounds like a bug. We check for last known location in order to provide regional dialects via Living Language. Swype shouldn't request location info to this extent.

I'll make sure that this is logged as a bug so that we can look into it.

Thank you

Jacob.W, thanks for the reply. However, this sounds bad for a number of reasons. Firstly, there is a potential privacy issue here, especially in light of this "bug". Secondly, it doesn't make any sense to check location any more than once, on initial setup.

I just installed SwiftKey and Kii Keyboard, and neither asks for location. Instead, they have a simple setting to change your locale manually. It's straightforward and unintrusive. In fact, I think that using location is the wrong way to do it. Say I'm from England, and I fly to the US for a holiday. Should my keyboard temporarily change its locale to the US for a few weeks? That doesn't make sense to me.

I really like Swype, but I am going back to SwiftKey until I can turn location tracking off.

So long.

Quote Originally Posted by Solutions Etcetera View Post
    I really like Swype, but I am going back to SwiftKey until I can turn location tracking off.

So long.
    If you don't want to install Cyanogenmod (to refuse location access to Swype), you could instead root your phone and install something like AFW+ (Android Firewall +). Then you can disallow Swype from connecting to the network at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Humboldt View Post
    If you don't want to install Cyanogenmod (to refuse location access to Swype), you could instead root your phone and install something like AFW+ (Android Firewall +). Then you can disallow Swype from connecting to the network at all.
    Thanks, but I'm not interested in rooting my moto X (it is good out of the box). This is a swype issue.

+ Reply to Thread