+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Bilingual Feedback

Hi,

I just discovered this thread. I use DE/EN, works perfect for me. Most of the times I write in German with single English words, and its very impressive, that swype recognizes by itself, when I write more than one English word and turns into "English-main-mode" automatically. Great work!

Quicker language recognition

Hi Jacob,

I just recently came back to swype and I'm happy to see that you now have a bilingual option - and that you're keen on improving it. I use English/Spanish, switching throughout the day between the two. I do like using it because it saves me having to change the dictionary (and sometimes not remembering what language I have the keyboard in). However, I do wish it were quicker in recognizing which language I'm using. Instead of having primary/secondary I would prefer it to be more equally weighted, giving preference to the language currently being used. In other words, I don't type in English and mix in Spanish once in a while. I type in one or the other, but switch often (with a few exceptions of course). It's sometimes frustrating to be typing in Spanish and then have the suggested word come out it English out of the blue.

Hope this helps!

Great feedback, all!

@cavatelli, We're looking into more intelligently handling the situation you explain so that Swype moves between languages more fluidly.

Thanks!

I think the issue is that commonality of words doesn't seem to get taken into account. For me, Swype will usually find an obscure English word to match the pattern when I "suddenly" want to input something in German. (Even if it's a completely separate action, like adding to a to-do list, where the keyboard hasn't even been used for a while.)

I had posted something on reddit prior to coming here, maybe you'll get some more feedback from that: http://www.reddit.com/r/Android/comm...it_added_dual/

Quote Originally Posted by Amorpheus View Post
    I think the issue is that commonality of words doesn't seem to get taken into account. For me, Swype will usually find an obscure English word to match the pattern when I "suddenly" want to input something in German. (Even if it's a completely separate action, like adding to a to-do list, where the keyboard hasn't even been used for a while.)

I had posted something on reddit prior to coming here, maybe you'll get some more feedback from that: http://www.reddit.com/r/Android/comm...it_added_dual/
    Hi Amorpheus (clever name, by the way),

Based on feedback so far this is one of the biggest criticisms we're seeing. We've got a few ideas on how to better handle this situation and are working on it.

Thanks for the feedback!

Hi! I was super excited when bilingual keyboard was first introduced. I use Finnish and English every day, I live in Finland but my husband is American, so I am constantly switching between languages. At first it seemed like it was a great change, but one of the updates changed the keyboard. In the older version, the bilingual keyboard had the 's and 's that we use in Finnish. After the update, I'm supposed to use a's and o's for my 's and 's. This is very frustrating, as I often have to still type in words that don't exist in the vocabulary letter by letter, so then I'm constantly long pressing the a and o to get my and in the words. It makes my typing a lot slower and I have actually quit using the bilingual keyboard. Now I just switch in between languages like I did before. Anyway, my hope is that I would get my 's and 's back in the bilingual keyboard!

Quote Originally Posted by Jacob.W View Post
    Are single words from your secondary language frequently interspersed with your primary language? Do you use whole sentences in your secondary language at a time?
    Yes sometimes it happens and it should not happen at all. My languages: Italian/English

How do I set up Bilingual?

When I press my spacebar to change languages, my keyboard stops working and I have to wait more than 5 minutes for the keyboard to work again. What's up with that?

Quote Originally Posted by kells_bells_1 View Post
    How do I set up Bilingual?

When I press my spacebar to change languages, my keyboard stops working and I have to wait more than 5 minutes for the keyboard to work again. What's up with that?
    You can set up bilingual by going to Settings > Languages > Type in two languages. Once you tap on "type in two languages" you can select languages that are compatible with your primary language.

Please create a new thread in the Bug Report section of the forum including details as explained in the "How to Report a bug" thread.

Thanks!

I read about the bilingual feature, but I can't find the feature (no option in Settings > Languages > Type in two languages) on the latest (1.6.16.27862)
    I have English, Greek and Chinese installed but mostly use Greek with some english words here and there (eg. computer, RAM, swype, android, the mall etc), so the bilingual feature would had been very welcome; still I haven't managed to see it in action... am I doing something wrong, or is due to incompatibility between greek and english keyboard layouts?

+ Reply to Thread