+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bilingual Feedback

Bilingual Feedback

Hey all!

After being a popular user request for some time, we've implemented Bilingual in the latest versions of Swype (versions 1.6 and up)! While creating this feature, we wanted to make sure that users had more control over their experience. Now that our implementation of bilingual is out there, we want to know what you think!

A few questions just to get things started:
    • Do you use bilingual?
    • What language pair do you use?(ex: English/German)
    • How do you use your secondary language?
      Are single words from your secondary language frequently interspersed with your primary language? Do you use whole sentences in your secondary language at a time?
    • Do you like using bilingual?
    • Is using bilingual intuitive?
    • What could be improved?
    Please feel free to offer any other observations or ask any questions about Bilingual input as a new post in this thread! For a bit more information, read our short blog post.

Thanks!
    -Swype Community Management

Wow not much traffic here... I love the bilingual keyboard. But I hate it that swype has been so laggy lately. Overall I can't use it at the moment cause it crashes my phone. If I use it I'm on English/German and swype away as I need it without switching language. This text I write with cm 10.1.3 on my n7000 with the android keyboard. Hope there'll be an update soon....

gesendet mit Tapatalk

Glad to hear you're liking the bilingual keyboard. We know that performance issues (and lag) have been a major issue for some users and are still working on fixes to address this.

We appreciate the feedback here, and thank you for adding your thoughts to the existing thread on this issue.

Thanks

Hi, I'm a new Swype user and love it so far.

I do use the bilingual feature, and it is essential for me, as I continually switch from French to English, and sometimes use both languages in the same email. Manually switching from a language to the other is too annoying.

I do not normally insert French words in English sentences, but I do use some English words when writing in French.

The one thing I find annoying in Swype is that it takes a few words for Swype to detect if I'm writing in French or English. Once the detection is done it works very well, though. I wonder if it would work better if Swype had both dictionaries simultaniously instead of switching back & forth.

Thanks,
    David

Quote Originally Posted by DBestman View Post
    Hi, I'm a new Swype user and love it so far.
    I wonder if it would work better if Swype had both dictionaries simultaniously instead of switching back & forth.
    I now realize that both dictionaries are working simultaneously, but it's the word prediction? that is language sensitive.

I use english and german at the same. I write most my sentences in english and insert german words in english sentences.
    I noticed that if your swiping in english and want to insert a word in german, swype will most of the time input a word in english and offer the german one a second or third prediction, which is pretty good(it all depends on the word you're entering and the swype pattern)
    Overall I am very happy with this feature. Its strange though that there is little feedback beacuse it was one of the most requested features for a long time.
    Last edited by Psclkhoury; 12-19-2013 at 12:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jacob.W View Post
    Hey all!

After being a popular user request for some time, we've implemented Bilingual in the latest versions of Swype (versions 1.6 and up)! While creating this feature, we wanted to make sure that users had more control over their experience. Now that our implementation of bilingual is out there, we want to know what you think!

A few questions just to get things started:
    • Do you use bilingual?
    yes
    spanish / english
      Are single words from your secondary language frequently interspersed with your primary language? Do you use whole sentences in your secondary language at a time?
    no, i have very little trouble with it
    yes, I live in miami and use both languages a lot and the delay to switch between 1 language and the other all the time was beoming annoying
    for me it is
    the spanish dictionary is lacking, and the ability to delete words from the swype dictionary could also be very helpful
    for the spanish dictionary issue refer to : http://forum.swype.com/showthread.ph...8980#post48980

Quote Originally Posted by Ale23arg View Post
    the spanish dictionary is lacking, and the ability to delete words from the swype dictionary could also be very helpful
    for the spanish dictionary issue refer to : http://forum.swype.com/showthread.ph...8980#post48980
    Actually, you can delete words from the Swype dictionary by typing in the word, then long-pressing on the word in the word selection bar (or whatever the word prediction bar above the keyboard is called)

• Do you use bilingual?
    yes
    Catalan/(Spanish and UK/English).
    Together with the primary.
    Are single words from your secondary language frequently interspersed with your primary language? Do you use whole sentences in your secondary language at a time?[/list]
    Catalan and Spanish are very similar in some words and it is a nightmare writing. I would prefer having the option of having many languages separately, like he primary language only option, but I'm not able to achieve it. I mean I want to choose the language each time.
    Not much, I would prefer having the option of separate each language.
    Yes, but fails when both languages are similar.
    I want to configure Swype like old times, having separate languages, like if all were primaries.

Hi Logoff,

We're sorry to hear that bilingual doesn't really work for you between Spanish and Catalan at the moment. You can still use languages separately from one another even though we offer the ability to use bilingual. To disable bilingual, either re-select your preferred language (long press on space bar) or go to Settings - Languages - Current language. You can also disable bilingual by selecting your secondary language (in Settings > Languages ) and choosing "none".

We appreciate the feedback you all have given us so far! Keep it up!

Thanks everyone!

+ Reply to Thread