+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Bilingual Feedback

Hi FotisK,

Right now Greek is not compatible with the bilingual feature in Swype. Currently, when you have downloaded languages that are compatible with each other for bilingual you will see an option in Settings > Languages that says "Type in two languages" directly under your current language. In most cases, compatible languages have similar keyboard layouts (e.g. English/Spanish or Russian/Ukrainian), though sometimes layouts are pretty different (e.g. Vietnamese/English).

We are working on adding more options to bilingual (for instance Chinese/English and Korean/English), but we don't have a timeline for all languages.

We apologize for the inconvenience.

Hi,
    I'm happy I found this thread, because it covers exactly what I wanted to report.
    It might be the same thing as Amorpheus has mentioned before, but to me it seems with the newest update things have become worse for bilingual use (German / English in my case).

For some reason Swype seems to be prefering words of the previously used language way over the other. No matter how accurately I swype in a word in the other language, it has almost no chance of getting recognized.
    It works both ways round, so when I'm currently texting in German and then e.g. swype "Egypt" I get German results like "erhol", "ertappt" or "erhält". Even though from my swype-track these words are highly unlikely!
    But then if you tap on one of the suggested English words just once after a wrong German word was recognized, Swype immediately switches English internally and from then on recognizes other English words perfectly (of course no German words are recognized after that anymore).

This wouldn't be so bad if Swype would switch by itself after some words which are obviously in another language, but even after swyping many sentences in English it only produces non-sense of German words.
    If it would learn after a few words it would at least only take correction of these few and the rest would be fine.

Maybe it is possible to increase the likelihood of the other language's words, as this seems to be a big issue for now.
    I know it's not easy to implement multi-language support like this, but please spend some more time on it. You have built such a neat way of entering text (the new update improves reactivity and speed a lot! :-) ), just bring it a little closer to perfection ;-)

Thanks for reading and considering,

Regards
    Chris

Hi Chris,

We greatly appreciate the detailed feedback here. We're sorry that you're running into issues getting predictions in German when using En/De bilingual. As you say, this is a tricky nut to crack. Of course, we are still working on it and plan on making further improvements (especially in cases where the trace path and your language model make it likely that you are trying to enter a word in your second selected language.

Thank you!

Ich schreibe einen deutschen Satz und schreibe jetzt Egypt, and from here I continue in English and now I wechsel zu deutsch und schreibe auf deutsch weiter, but from here I write again in English. So I can say: no problems with two languages.

Honestly, it worked perfectly. Galaxy Note 10.1, recent Swype version. I had only two or three mistakes in that mixed sentence above, due to my inaccurate writing. The bilingual writing works perfekt und ohne Probleme.

Viele Grüße, script

Ps. Nice to see you, Jacob. I have always been a Swype fan and always was happy about your help! Good that you're still here.
    Last edited by script; 08-22-2014 at 2:58 PM.
    Greetings, script

Galaxy Note 1 and Note 10.1 (2013), all stock, no root
    Android 4.1.2, recent swype paid version

Hey script, thanks for your reply :-)
    I just swyped the same sentence as you did on my phone (HTC Evo3D) very accurately and slowly but still with horrible results...
    This is what swype gave me without any corrections made, interesting thing is that in each case of a wrongly detected German word, the correct English one was at the 3rd place of the other suggestions...

Ich schreibe einen deutschen Satz und schreibe jetzt ertappt, ans fromm Herr on i Cingular in englisch ans nie i Wechsel zu deutsch und schreibe auf deutsch weiter, Bit fromm Herr i weite in englisch Alain. So i van Dax: no Problems weit zwei Landtages.

No need to say that most of the wrongly taken German words I barely ever use ;-)
    Just out of curiosity I'll try and swype the same text on my tablet for comparison:

Ich schreibe einen Deutschen Satz und schreibe jetzt Egypt, ans fromm Herr on i Cottbus in englisch ans nie i Wechsel zu deutsch und schreibe auf deutsch weiter, Bit fromm Herr i weiter in englisch Alain. So i Canon Dax: Mo Problems witzig zwei Landtages.

That's my sad result... :-( it got Egypt right but the rest still far off. I have to say I Swype really accurate, even using the small arcs to skip letters in between...

Regards
    Chris

P. S.
    I gave it another try:
    Ich denke dass sollte bedeutend besser funktionieren ran Tennis dies right nie ans rappelvoll sind im Typen Hundes piercen außer. (Swyped with De/En keyboard)
    Ich denke das sollte bedeutend besser funktionieren than this does right now and especially since I'm typing hundred percent accurate. (Intended sentence)

After this I couldn't resist and tried a competitor's keyboard on both sample texts and it had not one mistake :-/

I'm writing very much in English atm, maybe my Swype is better trained than yours. Good luck, script
    Greetings, script

Galaxy Note 1 and Note 10.1 (2013), all stock, no root
    Android 4.1.2, recent swype paid version

+ Reply to Thread