+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Easy language change on the Keyboard

Thumbs up Easy language change on the Keyboard

Hi!

A feature that the Froyo keyboard has and the Swype keyboard needs is the easy language change. You pre-configure the languages you want and when the keyboard is active you can switch among them swiping the space-bar sideways.

What would be REALLY nice is for Swype to automatically detect the language (maybe between pre-configured ones)

Great App!

Best Regards,

Daniel

Completely agree, the default android keyboard metod to change language is the best for me, swipe over the spacebar and you have 3 language quick change, which is what most people need, for example I need to change between italian, spanish and english

You can quickly switch between any installed language by long pressing on the Q key to bring up a list of currently installed languages.

Likewise you can swype from the swype key to the Q key to toggle between the two most recelty used languages.
    Rob Boehm
    Community Relations & Beta Associate
    rob.boehm [at] swype [dot] com

http://www.swype.com/wp-content/them...mages/logo.png
    Asus EEE Transformer | WiFi | 3.2 Honeycomb | Stock Firmware | Swype Beta
    HTC G2 Vision | T-Mo | 2.3.3 Gingerbread | CyanMod 7.0.2-Vision | Swype Beta
    HTC G1 Dream | WiFi | 2.2.1 Froyo | CyanMod 6.1.0-DS | Swype Beta

Please note, I will not respond to direct emails and messages for support until I'm able to attend to EVERY post in the forums. Please be patient. Thank you :-)

Hi, sorry for digging up this thread, but exactly this doesn't work for me.
    I'm using the latest Swype on my HTC Sensation, which has a qHD resolution. Unlike on my Desire S, which I had before, the language switcher is now between the SYM and the comma/dash key not on the Q. But neither swyping from the Swype button to Q nor to the the newly positioned language key switches between languages. The latter only opens the arrow key panel, the former does nothing.

Is there any solution for this? I use English and German most of the time and the one is on the top of the language list and the second on the bottom. So switching between both is very inconvenient.

Thanks.

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by rob.boehm View Post
    You can quickly switch between any installed language by long pressing on the Q key to bring up a list of currently installed languages.

Likewise you can swype from the swype key to the Q key to toggle between the two most recelty used languages.

Yes and that is already an improvement over having to start the settings for every second email you answer.
    HOWEVER
    * it is still too slow to scroll through a list of languages you never use every time
    * it is still a problem to type quotes from different languages into the same block of text without much of a break as you do on a real keyboard where languages does not matter.

Note that switching languages is something you do ALL THE TIME so it must be as fast as humanly possible to get great usability.
    Last edited by MarcusWolschon; 08-23-2011 at 7:15 AM. Reason: typo

i prefer the old way, personally. i don't want the additional button just taking up space on the already too crowded bottom line. the mic icon is already there, and i never use that.

Quote Originally Posted by MarcusWolschon View Post
    Yes and that is already an improvement over having to start the settings for every second email you answer.
    HOWEVER
    * it is still too slow to scroll through a list of languages you never use every time
    * it is still a problem to type quotes from different languages into the same block of text without much of a break as you do on a real keyboard where languages does not matter.

Note that switching languages is something you do ALL THE TIME so it must be as fast as humanly possible to get great usability.
    it is really fast and simple as long as you only use 2 languages! just swype from the swype key to the q and it will toggle between the 2 most recently used languages

just swype from the swype key to the q and it will toggle between the 2 most recently used languages
    But as described above, this doesn't work for me.

it no longer works with the latest version to be remapped to that obnoxious globe key.

i have 3.25 and it works great! try this. long press q and select a second language that you use, long press q again and select english (assuming that is the other language you us) then swype from the swype key to the q. i use english and spanish, above the q it says "EN" i swype from swype key to q and it switched to "ES" everytime! since i learned this it has worked everytime! it can only toggle between 2 languages though...
    dodongitri, i have no idea what globe key your talking bout

+ Reply to Thread