+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Swype replacement?

Question Swype replacement?

I recently bought an LG spirit. The phone itself is phenomenal, but there's one problem.

LG, in their "infinite wisdom," has decided they would implement their own version of swype. Having been using android's swype for quite a while now, the LG version absolutely sucks!!!!! It's incredibly inaccurate, it fails to autospace half the time, and if it chose the wrong word and you click on it later to be able to replace, that option isn't available so you have to retype the word from scratch. Also, it continuously wants to use short variants of words...like if I type "completion, it will autofill "complete." All of these things combine make the texting experience a nightmare.

I asked my carrier what I could do, and they suggested I download one of the other swypes available from the Playstore, but I'm wary about using something different. What I really want is the basic Android one, but it isn't available for download.

What can I do? Would I be able to use the beta one? If I can, is it bad?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Yes, you can install the beta version at http://beta.swype.com.

Ding ding ding!

Mcarver2000 is correct. I also recommend checking out the Swype Beta. There may be a few bugs here and there (it is a Beta afterall), but you are getting the latest features Swype has to offer.

I did and....WOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!! HOLY $#17 is swype so much better...

I'm very happy now, thank you so much!

So just for clarification, it sounds like the absolutely horrible sliding keyboard you're talking about isn't Swype at all, but another sliding keyboard. Probably LG's own creation... I've never seen them attempt it but Samsung, HTC, and Asus have, so LG attempting it wouldn't be too surprising.

My Nexus 4 came with a keyboard with "swype" functionality. Granted it is an LG, but as a Nexus it should be free from all the manufacturer/carrier BS, so I guess your keyboard is actually Android native JB keyboard.

Installling Swype was like a third thing I did. The first and second were setting up my account. Thanks to my Defy for introducing me to Swype. Cannot live without it now

Quote Originally Posted by Fabo.sk View Post
    My Nexus 4 came with a keyboard with "swype" functionality. Granted it is an LG, but as a Nexus it should be free from all the manufacturer/carrier BS, so I guess your keyboard is actually Android native JB keyboard.

Installling Swype was like a third thing I did. The first and second were setting up my account. Thanks to my Defy for introducing me to Swype. Cannot live without it now
    Swipe-based input is a part of the AOSP keyboard. The Nexus 4 has nothing on it that's not stock AOSP.

+ Reply to Thread