+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Add automatic text replacement/expansion

Text expansion and gestures like this are a common request. It's not available yet, but I'm sure it will be implemented in time.
    Rob Boehm
    Community Relations & Beta Associate
    rob.boehm [at] swype [dot] com

http://www.swype.com/wp-content/them...mages/logo.png
    Asus EEE Transformer | WiFi | 3.2 Honeycomb | Stock Firmware | Swype Beta
    HTC G2 Vision | T-Mo | 2.3.3 Gingerbread | CyanMod 7.0.2-Vision | Swype Beta
    HTC G1 Dream | WiFi | 2.2.1 Froyo | CyanMod 6.1.0-DS | Swype Beta

Please note, I will not respond to direct emails and messages for support until I'm able to attend to EVERY post in the forums. Please be patient. Thank you :-)

Any luck with the pushing to get this feature added? I just installed the latest version and LOVE it so far. Feature wise this is now the only thing that I can think of that it's really (desperately) missing to make it near perfect. :-)

--
    GeekDrop.Com

Still looking in to this one, guys! Keep 'em coming...

Lightbulb Add shortcuts to phrases (including spaces) to user dictionary

Two similar but related requests:

1) I'd like to be able to add word pairs to my user dictionary. For example, if I want to swype "Hong Kong" (where I live), with proper capitalization, I can enter each word separately and Swype correctly inserts them capitalized. But to speed things up, I'm wishing for a way to enter this phrase without pausing between words. Thus, I'd like to be able to swype "hongkong" and have it auto-correct as "Hong Kong". Is there no way to select a word pair and add it to the dictionary?

2) A brilliant addition would be the ability to program in shortcuts, as is possible in MS Word. So that, using my example of Hong Kong, I could swype "hk" and have it expand as "Hong Kong". This would be immensely useful if users could set their own shortcuts for frequently used phrases: company names, street addresses, salutations (yours sincerely, etc.). Imagine how much faster we'd be able to type!

I have searched these forums with no solution found. I also purchased FlexT9 and found it has no such facility either, even though their marketing documents hint at it.
    I have decided to use an Android app "autotext free" and switch keyboards when I need to enter some complex stuff (URLs, email addresses, etc.) that are almost impossible to do in Swype or FlexT9.

+1
    Iphone keyboard also have this kind of shortcut, very convenient. Can use it for most uses phrases, complete email address, etc.

This was one of the improvements I was going to propose to swype, good to have more people wishing this! It is a great help to improve the write speed that we can define our own abbreviations for frequently used words.

This is one of the old features that made SlideIT so appealing -- slide a couple characters and the rest appear. Granted, if you use a word a lot in Swype you can usually tap a few letters for the whole thing (useful for recalling Twitter usernames, or stored passwords, although sometimes UNUSEFUL because it recalls passwords when you don't want). Okay, the tapping has nothing on expanded phrases

Autotext

Please add autotext capability to Swype, like on Blackberry devices. Swype is great, but it could be even greater with less swyping needed. As it stands, you can get autotext apps, but they replace the swype keyboard, so they can't co-exist. I read an earlier post where an administrator said he would like this feature too, but it is not high on the priority scale for new features. Please bump it up.

Thank you.

Autotext

Please add autotext capability to Swype, like on Blackberry devices. Swype is great, but it could be even greater with less swyping needed. As it stands, you can get autotext apps, but they replace the swype keyboard, so they can't co-exist. I read an earlier post where an administrator said he would like this feature too, but it is not high on the priority scale for new features. Please bump it up.

Thank you.

+ Reply to Thread