+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How do I add words to the Swype dictionary?

This doesn't work for me. Also, I am not using 1.4 but I cannot upgrade it it says there are none available...

Swype isn't the only one not adding words though. My regular stock keyboard isn't adding them anymore either. it suddenly stopped doing it recently and no clue why

Quote Originally Posted by Jacob.W View Post
    We are aware of a bug with a previous version of Swype Beta (1.3.5) where the user was unable to add or remove words. Ensure that you are using the latest version of the Swype Beta (1.4.0). You can find your version number in Swype Settings > Preferences > Scroll all the way down.

You can add multiple words at a time as well.

If you have a whole list of words you can add them all using these steps:

1. Swype from the Swype key to "a" to highlight all
    2. Press the Swype key
    3. Select "Add all to dictionary" prompt
    4. Your custom words should now be in your dictionary!

Otherwise, a word cannot be added if it is already in the Personal Dictionary, or Swype's defaut dictionary!

Normally, you shouldn't have to force an update, but we are aware of some issues that users are having updating from 1.3 to 1.4.

In case you are still not able update to the latest version you can force an update by uninstalling and re-installing.

Download the latest version of the Beta Installer here: http://beta.swype.com/

More detailed steps:

Go to Settings -> Applications -> Swype Beta Press CLEAR DATA. Then press UNINSTALL.
    Go to Settings -> Applications -> Swype Beta Installer Press CLEAR DATA. Then press UNINSTALL.
    Reboot your device.
    Install the latest version of Swype.

WARNING: You will lose your Personal Dictionary!

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by BillBauman View Post
    okay, I also had the can't save words problem. My fix was to go yo Settings, Apps, Running, Swype. Clear cache, clear data, disable, re-enable. Reconfigure. This time through I didn't enable the Swype backup option. Now I can save again.

Side note - wouldn't it be nice if Swype auto space worked on the Swype forum for posting? Yeah.
    Thanks guy, I had the same problem with my new Samsung Galaxy Note II (AT&T I317), and your fix above is what finally got it working for me as well, but with two exceptions...
    1. I had to go to "All" instead of "Running" then to the Swype app, under Running it didn't have the clear cache/data options.
    2. Then I still re-set up the backup option, and am now able to save to my personal dictionary.
    Absolutely love, love, love this app!!

Quote Originally Posted by Jacob.W View Post
    We are aware of a bug with a previous version of Swype Beta (1.3.5) where the user was unable to add or remove words. Ensure that you are using the latest version of the Swype Beta (1.4.0). You can find your version number in Swype Settings > Preferences > Scroll all the way down.

You can add multiple words at a time as well.

If you have a whole list of words you can add them all using these steps:

1. Swype from the Swype key to "a" to highlight all
    2. Press the Swype key
    3. Select "Add all to dictionary" prompt
    4. Your custom words should now be in your dictionary!

Otherwise, a word cannot be added if it is already in the Personal Dictionary, or Swype's defaut dictionary!
    I followed the instructions and did have, as others here, problems. I kept tinkering with it; copying a list of words from one doc to a txt file then highlighting etc, etc. I just could not get it to work on my list of British English words. I decided to have a look at the actual list I had downloaded from a website (downloaded the document 896K as a word doc) and saw to my absolute shock that the document (British words a-z no capital letters) held just under 80 000 words!!!!!

I then copied the words 15 -20 pages at a time to a new document, saving those pages under different pages. I copied the new documents over to the Nexus 7, then opened the docs one-at-a-time and followed the instructions as given. And lo-and-behold, it worked just as Jacob W said it would.

I haven't finished entering all the words but I'm getting there.

Before you ask, the original list of words had already been checked for spelling mistakes, those that popped-up red in MS Word I re-checked and corrected (I used a combination of Collins/Oxford/Cambridge/TheFreeDictionary UK sources)them, they were however few and far between.

I have of course been practising my "swyping" and I have been getting better at it, and have been using the list that I have so far put in. The next list I am preparing is a list of British English words that always have Capital letters. I hope that's not as long as the firsts one was/is.

Thumbs up The Below Worked for Me Too!! :-)

Thank you for this information! I was getting absolutely frustrated. Hope the bug will allow me to choose the option to backup again, but for now, this is awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by BillBauman View Post
    okay, I also had the can't save words problem. My fix was to go yo Settings, Apps, Running, Swype. Clear cache, clear data, disable, re-enable. Reconfigure. This time through I didn't enable the Swype backup option. Now I can save again.

Side note - wouldn't it be nice if Swype auto space worked on the Swype forum for posting? Yeah.

Fixed it with similar solution as bill bauman. However slightly different. Unable to clear cache. Option is greyed out. I am using official Samsung software, but it is not yet for my area/device. Using 4.1.2 jelly bean on sii. Went to settings/apps/RUNNING/clear data/disable then had to go into settings/language and input then switch to Samsung keyboard. The swype stays on even after disabling. Then re enable swype and not do any back up when you reconfigure. Skip all the options.
    HOWEVER. .. I am currently inputting this using swype style gestures on the SAMSUNG keyboard and not swype. I do prefer the swype keyboard but right now I don't have a million permissions granted to my personal data. The swype is blue and keyboard lay out is not as functional. Seems to be the only differences. That and all the words I add are all there. ..

Fixed it with similar solution as bill bauman. However slightly different. Unable to clear cache. Option is greyed out. I am using official Samsung software, but it is not yet for my area/device. Using 4.1.2 jelly bean on sii. Went to settings/apps/RUNNING/clear data/disable then had to go into settings/language and input then switch to Samsung keyboard. The swype stays on even after disabling. Then re enable swype and not do any back up when you reconfigure. Skip all the options.
    HOWEVER. .. I am currently inputting this using swype style gestures on the SAMSUNG keyboard and not swype. I do prefer the swype keyboard but right now I don't have a million permissions granted to my personal data. The swype is blue and keyboard lay out is not as functional. Seems to be the only differences. That and all the words I add are all there. ..

Hello. To every one I had the same issue after installing the latest android software in my galaxy s2 and try everything posted here and nothing worked. The only thing that works is to buy in the app store the $0.99 Swype version that after installing says Swype+ Dragon. Everything else just won't work.

Hello. To every one I had the same issue after installing the latest android software in my galaxy s2 and try everything posted here and nothing worked. The only thing that works is to buy in the app store the $0.99 Swype version that after installing says Swype+ Dragon. Everything else just won't work.

I can't figure out how to post my own questions so this thread seemed to be the closest to my problems.

1. My dictionary (swype came with my LG phone) doesn't know simple words like "tonight" "tomorrow" "sure" etc. My dictionary is set to US English.

2. I "add to dictionary" but it still doesn't remember the words the next time I attempt to use them.

I had swype on my Galaxy SII and it was just fine. Having many problems using swype with the LG. Thanks!

+ Reply to Thread