+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How do I add words to the Swype dictionary?

How do I add words to the Swype dictionary?

Hi. Got a Samsung Galaxy Ace a couple of weeks ago and discovered Swype - I love it!! However, I can't find a way of adding words to the dictionary as I'm typing them in text messages. According to the instructions:

Adding words to Swype's dictionary is easy. Tap in the letters of the word then select it from the Word Choice List. Tap the prompt that appears to add the word.

Only, no prompt appears when I select the word from the list, so each time I want to enter the word I have to tap it in letter by letter. I've discovered that I can go to the dictionary and add words, but it would be a lot more convenient if they could be added directly from the message as I type. There must be a way of doing this, surely?

Actually, I've just been messing about and discovered that if I highlight the word and then hit the Swype key it will prompt me to add it to the dictionary. Not quite what the instructions suggested but it works.

Glad you got it figured out, I was just about to reply!

You may also want to check out the tips section we have on our website as well. Some neat gestures and short cuts there!

Enjoy adding your favorite custom words to your dictionary!

Quote Originally Posted by SarahB View Post
    Actually, I've just been messing about and discovered that if I highlight the word and then hit the Swype key it will prompt me to add it to the dictionary. Not quite what the instructions suggested but it works.
    By hitting the Swype key twice this should occur. Since hitting Swype the first time selects the word

I have tried hitting the swype button twice, as well as selecting the word in the edit window, then in the word choice list. Neither worked...I didn't get a prompt, and when I check the dictionary it is empty, and I can't add any words manually. Is there a setting somewhere I need to enable? Have this on an HTC One V with a custom AOKP ROM.

I am with happybana. I highlight the word, tap the swype button and not prompt. Despite numerous efforts i cannot seem to get any word into the dictionary. Even edit dictionary does not let me add words, since there are no words there, it does not let me edit. I am running version 1.3.5.10176.
    Last edited by simon.bastin1; 12-10-2012 at 12:55 PM.

There is a serious bug with this version of Swype (10176) which prevents some people from adding words. Sadly, either wait until this is fixed in a new version, or you can read through some of the other threads here about it which may help you fix the issue sooner.

okay, I also had the can't save words problem. My fix was to go yo Settings, Apps, Running, Swype. Clear cache, clear data, disable, re-enable. Reconfigure. This time through I didn't enable the Swype backup option. Now I can save again.

Side note - wouldn't it be nice if Swype auto space worked on the Swype forum for posting? Yeah.

I got a belated Xmas present, a Nexus 7, and I remembered a BBC Click program that mentioned something about swype. I found it and downloaded it and after practising a little, am quite happy with it. I have been trying to add words to the personal dictionary and have followed the instructions on the website, as mentioned above; however as mentioned previously, when highlighting a word and tapping once on teh Swype button, no option appears.

Am I doing something wrong or is this a bug in the system?

Personally, I would love lo just load a document or a magazine then go through the whole thing, highlighting worlds (perhaps even short phrases) to the personal dictionary.

Quote Originally Posted by bluemax View Post
    I got a belated Xmas present, a Nexus 7, and I remembered a BBC Click program that mentioned something about swype. I found it and downloaded it and after practising a little, am quite happy with it. I have been trying to add words to the personal dictionary and have followed the instructions on the website, as mentioned above; however as mentioned previously, when highlighting a word and tapping once on teh Swype button, no option appears.

Am I doing something wrong or is this a bug in the system?

Personally, I would love lo just load a document or a magazine then go through the whole thing, highlighting worlds (perhaps even short phrases) to the personal dictionary.
    We are aware of a bug with a previous version of Swype Beta (1.3.5) where the user was unable to add or remove words. Ensure that you are using the latest version of the Swype Beta (1.4.0). You can find your version number in Swype Settings > Preferences > Scroll all the way down.

You can add multiple words at a time as well.

If you have a whole list of words you can add them all using these steps:

1. Swype from the Swype key to "a" to highlight all
    2. Press the Swype key
    3. Select "Add all to dictionary" prompt
    4. Your custom words should now be in your dictionary!

Otherwise, a word cannot be added if it is already in the Personal Dictionary, or Swype's defaut dictionary!

+ Reply to Thread