+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is the 'handwriting' feature and how do I use it?

What is the 'handwriting' feature and how do I use it?

I just got the Samsung Galaxy S3 and I'm wondering what the handwriting feature is about. I enabled it, then instead of swyping for words as per normal, I started to try and write 'over' the keyboard, like a cursive 'hi' or just writing letters in cursive. Is this not what the handwriting feature is supposed to be?

If it is supposed to do something different, what is handwriting supposed to do?

If it's anything like the Swype Beta, there should be a new icon beside the space bar of a pencil. Tap that, and the screen should switch to handwriting mode.

It doesn't recognize cursive, just print letters, but it's quite quick. Very similar to Jot/Jot 2 on Symbian.

John Lacson
    Tech Gospel According To John

Pencil....nope...not unless you mean the Swype button? The thing you hold to access Swype settings? (when i tap it, nothing happens, and I can't seem to do any sort of gesture-handwriting as you suggest)

Any idea? (this is for my Samsung S3 btw)

Swype preferences. Enable Handwriting.

It's more of a feature for Chinese users, though... they have so many more letters than we Western language writers do. If I understand these things correctly.
    Last edited by primetech; 10-29-2012 at 4:33 AM.

Aye I know how to enable it, I just have no idea what it does or how to use it.

Do you know, primetech?

Great advice all!

Once you have handwriting enabled and you select the pencil icon, you can trace letters and words to be input as text.

As techgospel explained, it recognizes letters and words. You just have to write as if you were using a pen/pencil.

For instance, tracing the letters h, e, l, l, o would entered hello. Otherwise, you can trace the whole word; hello would be entered as "hello"

I'm not especially sure, unfortunately. I know sliding your finger forward gives you space and backwards gives you backspace, and that a vertical line crossed by a horizontal one gives you T.

Again, I doubt western users have much of a reason to use this now. You can probably glide a word or two by the time you can write one letter in handwriting mode. I mean, granted, you can write around four letters in the space provided, but that's not preferable when you have longer words either.

Again, I daresay this is only for users of Eastern languages, who have much more detailed symbols that mean much more, and thousands of them to keep track of. I don't know enough Chinese, Japanese etc to show you a good example, but here's an idea...

("Tree")

Other fun tricks:

*simultaneously sliding two fingers to the left deletes the last word entered.

*simultaneously sliding two fingers to the right deletes a word to the right.

Quote Originally Posted by Jacob.W View Post
    Other fun tricks:

*simultaneously sliding two fingers to the left deletes the last word entered.

*simultaneously sliding two fingers to the right deletes a word to the right.
    It strikes me that would be a good idea in the Swype layout (i.e. not handwriting) as well - given there is no way to do that currently.

Multi finger support... Will a feature like this ever see the light of day in the regular Swype, where people have been yearning for backspace support?

+ Reply to Thread