- The Service is not intended for children under 13. By using the Service, you are representing that you are at least 18, or that you are at least 13 years old and have your parents' permission to use the Service.
- The Company can refuse registration or cancel an account in its sole discretion at any time.
- You are responsible for using the Service in a private and secure manner. The Company is not liable for any damage or loss due to unauthorized account access resulting from your actions, such as sharing your account password or not logging out of the Service.
- You may not register accounts with unauthorized automated methods ("bots").
- You may not use the Service for any illegal activity or to violate laws in your jurisdiction.
- You may not use the Service to distribute unsolicited email ("spam") or malicious content such as viruses or worms.
- You may not exploit the Service to access unauthorized information.
User Conduct and Submissions
- Any remarks, ideas, graphics, photographs, or other information communicated to Swype (collectively, "Content") belongs to the person who sent the information. You may only use Content posted by others in the ways described in these Terms of Service.
- In order to operate and improve the Service, the Company needs the right to make certain uses of your Content as well. Therefore, when you post Content in any Hosted Area, you also agree to grant the Company an irrevocable, perpetual, worldwide, royalty-free, fully sublicenseable, non-exclusive license to copy, distribute, sell, publicly display, publicly perform and make derivative works of your Content on the Service and on services affiliated with the Service regardless of the form of media used or of whether such services now exist or are developed in the future.
- The submission of your Content on the Service is entirely voluntary, non-confidential, gratuitous, and non-committal. You understand that the Company may be working on the same or similar Content, that it may already know of such Content from other sources, that it may simply wish to develop this (or a similar Content) on its own or it may have taken/will take some other action. In return for the Company's review and consideration of your Content, you acknowledge that you have read, understand and agree to the terms enumerated below, and further agree that these terms shall apply to any additional material previously or later submitted:
- The Content represents your own original work. You have all necessary rights to disclose the Content to the Company. In doing so, you are not violating the rights of any third party and you know of no other individual or entity whose rights will be infringed upon by the Company's review and/or use of the Content.
- You understand that disclosure of Content to the Company does not establish a confidential relationship or obligate the Company to treat your Content (or any related materials) as secret or confidential.
- You understand that the Company has no obligation, either express or implied, to develop or use your Content and that no compensation is due to you or anyone else for any inadvertent or intentional use of your Content, related ideas or ideas derived from your idea. You understand that the Company assumes no obligation with respect to any of your Content unless and until the Company enters into a written contract with you, and then only as expressed in that contract. In the absence of a separate formal contract, your rights shall be limited to those existing under the patent laws of the United States.
- If your Content is the subject of a pending or issued patent, you have disclosed or will disclose that fact to the Company. To the extent you hold a patent in the Content, the Company acknowledges that no license under any patent is herein granted to the Company. Any license to use a patented Content shall be in the form of a written contract, in which event the Company's obligations shall be only those expressed in such contract.
- the Company will give your Content such consideration as is warranted by its sole judgment.* The Company's review of your Content shall not be construed as any recognition of the novelty or originality of the Content.* The Company is not obligated to give reasons for rejecting your Content or to reveal the Company's activities that are related to the subject matter of the submitted Content.
- Neither the discussion or negotiations between the Company and you relating to the possible purchase or license of the Content, nor the making of any offer for the purchase or license of the Content, shall prejudice the Company in any way, or be construed as recognition of the novelty, originality, priority, other rights or value of the submitted Content. Further, the Company's consideration or its discussions or negotiations with you will not in any way impair the Company's right to contest the validity or infringement of your rights.
- You acknowledge that the Company, directly or indirectly, may (i) be working on the same Content or a similar Content to the Content, or (ii) already know of such Content from other sources, or (iii) simply wish to develop this Content or as similar to the Content on its own.
- You hereby irrevocably release and forever discharge the Company and their affiliates and subsidiaries (together, the "Released Parties") from any and all actions, causes of actions, claims, damages, liabilities and demands, whether absolute or contingent and of any nature whatsoever, which you now have or hereafter can, shall or may have against the Released Parties or their respecting successors and assigns with respect to the Content, including without limitation in respect of how the Company and its affiliates and subsidiaries, directly or indirectly, use the Content, with the sole exception in respect of the foregoing release and discharge being your right to bring a claim of patent infringement.
- The Company has the right, but not the obligation, to remove Content that it determines in its sole discretion to be unlawful, offensive, threatening, libelous, defamatory, obscene or otherwise objectionable, that violates any party's intellectual property, or that is detrimental to the quality or intended spirit of the the Service.* The Company also has the right, but not the obligation, to limit or revoke the use privileges of account of anyone who posts such Content.
- Examples of unacceptable Content or behavior on the Service include
- abuse, harassment, threats, flaming or intimidation of any person or organization
- engaging in or contributing to any illegal activity or activity that violates others' rights
- use of derogatory, discriminatory or excessively graphic language
- providing information that is false, misleading or inaccurate
- hacking or modifying the Company Service or another Web site to falsely imply an association with the Company
- implying or pretending to be affiliated with a company or organization with which you are not affiliated, or misrepresenting the extent of your affiliation or role with an affiliated company or organization
- transmitting worms, viruses or harmful software
- sending spam
- disclosing personal or proprietary information of another user, person or organization
- The Company cannot control all Content posted by third parties to the Service, and does not guarantee the accuracy, integrity or quality of such Content. You understand that by using the Service you may be exposed to Content that you may find offensive, indecent, incorrect or objectionable, and you agree that under no circumstances will the Company be liable in any way for any Content, including any errors or omissions in any Content, or any loss or damage of any kind incurred as a result of your use of any Content. You understand that you must evaluate and bear all risks associated with the use of any Content, including any reliance on the content, integrity, and accuracy of such Content. If you would like to report objectionable materials, you may use the "Report post" feature on any thread or post. Urgent issues can be reported to info [at] swype [dot] com.
Copyright, Ownership, and Data Security
- The Company owns intellectual property rights to any protectable part of the Service, including but not limited to the design, artwork, functionality, and documentation. You may not copy, modify, or reverse engineer any part of the Service owned by the Company.
- You acknowledge that any text, images, or other audiovisual information (collectively, "Content") posted on the Service by you become, immediately upon posting, the property of the Company controlling the Hosted Area where you posted such Content. You are herin granted an irrevocable, perpetual, worldwide, royalty-free, fully sublicensable, non-exclusive license to use any Content posted by you in any other way without restriction. You may only use Content posted by others in the ways described in these Terms of Service.
- In order to operate the Service, the Company needs the right to make certain uses of publicly posted Content. Therefore, all Account Holders you agree to grant the Company an irrevocable, perpetual, worldwide, royalty-free, fully sublicenseable, non-exclusive license to copy, distribute, publicly display, publicly perform and make derivative works of the Content on the Service and on services affiliated with the Service regardless of the form of media used or of whether such services now exist or are developed in the future. By posting Content to the Service, you hereby represent and warrant that you have the right to post that Content and to grant the foregoing rights to the Company.
- By posting Content to the Service, you hereby represent and warrant that you have the right to post that Content and to grant the foregoing rights to the Company.
- The Company reserves the right to remove any Content from the service, at its sole discretion.
- The Company is not liable for any damages or losses resulting from the Service transmitting information such as invoices and personal messages over unencrypted networks such as email.
- The Company respects the intellectual property of others. It may, in appropriate circumstances and at its discretion, disable and/or terminate the accounts of users who repeatedly infringe others' rights. If you believe that your work has been copied in a way that constitutes copyright infringement, or your intellectual property rights have been otherwise violated, please provide the following information to the Company's copyright agent:
- an electronic or physical signature of the person authorized to act on behalf of the owner of the copyright or other intellectual property interest;
- a description of the copyrighted work or other intellectual property that you claim has been infringed;
- a description of where the material that you claim is infringing is located on the site;
- your address, telephone number, and email address;
- a statement by you that you have a good faith belief that the disputed use is not authorized by the copyright owner, its agent, or the law;
- a statement by you, made under penalty of perjury, that the above information in your notice is accurate and that you are the copyright or intellectual property owner or are authorized to act on the copyright or intellectual property owner's behalf.
The Company's agent for notice of claims of copyright or other intellectual property infringement can be reached as follows:
71 Columbia Street
Seattle, WA 98104
By email: bizdev [at] swypeinc [dot] com