PDA

View Full Version : Swype Beta for Android News

brian1
08-29-2010, 3:30 PM
We re-launched the Swype Beta for Android in June, but registration is currently closed. You may register to be notified when it re-opens, and read more about it, here: http://beta.swype.com/ (http://beta.swype.com)

rsheffield
08-31-2010, 1:35 PM
It says Beta is closed right now, but since I am a registered user, can I still download Swype to my other two Android devices?

We re-launched the Swype Beta for Android in June, but registration is currently closed. You may register to be notified when it re-opens, and read more about it, here: http://beta.swype.com/ (http://beta.swype.com)

brian.resnik
08-31-2010, 2:08 PM
It says Beta is closed right now, but since I am a registered user, can I still download Swype to my other two Android devices?

Absolutely! As an active beta user, you can download Swype any time by logging in at http://beta.swype.com, clicking the "resend activation email" link in the lower right corner, and following the instructions that are emailed to you.

If you still have the original activation email we sent when you were first accepted into the beta program, you can just use the link in that email as well; no need to resend the activation email in that case.

Unregistered
08-31-2010, 9:32 PM
I updated my mytouch3g to cyanogen mod 6 to enjoy foyo as I couldn't wait for tmobile anymore. I still have my registration email so I used it to re download the installer and swype. the thing is I can type but not swype as an error appears telling my that

"the swype package you installed is configured for another device and will operate with limited functionality. please contact swype about this issue"

And I am following swype's advice as I love it more than my unborn children. please help!

EDIT by Admin: This forum is not supposed to allow posting if you're not registered. Not to mention, this is in entirely the wrong forum. Please register an account, read all of the troubleshooting instructions and post in the proper forum if necessary. Thanks!

jay84uk
09-01-2010, 2:37 AM
Hi,

I have used swype briefly on a friends phone and love it. How come it isn't available openly for download? I don't understand how companies like samsung can send it out preinstalled on their new galaxy yet it isn't available for download in the android market. Surely if it's good enough for them it's good enough for release. Even if it needed updating at a later date that can't be a problem- some of my apps update weekly!

Thanks

Jamie

brian.resnik
09-01-2010, 9:15 AM
Hi,

I have used swype briefly on a friends phone and love it. How come it isn't available openly for download? I don't understand how companies like samsung can send it out preinstalled on their new galaxy yet it isn't available for download in the android market. Surely if it's good enough for them it's good enough for release. Even if it needed updating at a later date that can't be a problem- some of my apps update weekly!

Thanks

Jamie

We have considered a direct-download sales model, but there are two challenges to that approach:
Customer Support - Providing Swype users with the level of professional support they deserve is a priority for us. We're still a small (but quickly growing!) company, and we don't have the resources necessary to support a full end-user sales model. It is much more efficent for us to focus on improving Swype and to partner with large organizations like Samsung and T-Mobile who already have customer support structures in place.
Device integration - Swype isn't just an app; it's a keyboard - the most widely used piece of software on a device. It interacts with nearly every single application on the phone. As such, it's more like a system component than an application. For each device release we do a tremendous amount of testing and we *always* find issues due to the varying components - the OS version, the device hardware, the OEM UI implementation, etc. In addition, some features can't be implemented without an OEM's engineering assistance. We end up doing a large amount of work on each device to be sure that you have a great experience entering text using Swype.

So, we appreciate your enthusiasm, but we are not ready to do direct-downloads at this time.

Aaron Walker
09-01-2010, 10:43 AM
I signed up for Swype beta when I first got my Evo, and never received the Download link. Please help!

brian.resnik
09-01-2010, 10:57 AM
I signed up for Swype beta when I first got my Evo, and never received the Download link. Please help!
If you registered after the beta closed in June, there's not much we can do to help. You'll be notified once the beta re-opens down the line.

grizzld
09-01-2010, 4:52 PM
I have a different phone from the original one I had when I signed up for Swype Beta. How can I install Swype on my new phone? Your old FAQ page said to send you and email with my new MEID and email address, but when I did that, I got a return email referring me here.

Silent1
09-01-2010, 4:58 PM
I registered and received the download link and used Swype for about a month. Then I switched phones and now when I try to install Swype it says the phone ID isnt the same as the registration. I sent the emails according to the troubleshooting and then receive a email today directing me to this forum. How do I proceed?

brian.resnik
09-01-2010, 4:59 PM
I have a different phone from the original one I had when I signed up for Swype Beta. How can I install Swype on my new phone? Your old FAQ page said to send you and email with my new MEID and email address, but when I did that, I got a return email referring me here.

I registered and received the download link and used Swype for about a month. Then I switched phones and now when I try to install Swype it says the phone ID isnt the same as the registration. I sent the emails according to the troubleshooting and then receive a email today directing me to this forum. How do I proceed?
Head over to our "Troubleshooting" section and read through the threads there. If after trying what's listed in our HOW-TO and reading through other user-submitted threads you still haven't resolved your issue, post in the appropriate thread (please don't make a new one if there's one already there that covers the same problem) and we'll respond as soon as possible with instructions on what you need to do to get Swype up and running again.

For the record, we'll most likely need to release your old devices from your account, since each account is limited to 2 devices, but PLEASE read through the rest of the forums to make sure that your issue isn't already covered. Thanks!

grizzld
09-01-2010, 5:01 PM
Just read in another thread to go to the top of the page, click on "InfoDesk," and submit a trouble ticket with the subject of ESN Reset. Include your new MEID and email address. I did this and hope to receive a reply.

jay84uk
09-02-2010, 9:55 AM
Would it not just be possible to release your beta version onto the android market? Then all Android handsets would be tested and people could email you as with all other developers in the market. Already it seems that people are having problems either updating their current version or getting swype on their new phone. It seems as if you are being far too cautious with the keyboard- in addition there is a similar keyboard already on the android market which potential customers like myself will start use and grow familiar with, as with T9 keyboards people either love or hate them and once they get to grips with it continue to use it. I'm certain swype or similar is the future for touch screen keyboards however as other people are developing similar products you could easily lose out on this.

brian.resnik
09-02-2010, 12:52 PM
In regards to the Android Market, it really IS something we're constantly looking at, ESPECIALLY for the beta. Distribution via the Android Market would be ideal, but we also are restricted by Google's Terms of Service from providing an "installer" on the market. What I mean is, we'd have to develop a method of applying our licensing through the Android Market installation itself - we aren't allowed to provide our installer on the market and use that to install Swype and its licensing. This isn't SUCH a huge problem, but more than anything we just don't have the man-hours to handle that transition at this point.

hanschke
09-03-2010, 1:24 AM
we dont need the installer. the installer only download the apk file and start it. if i run the apk without the installer i can install it too.

jay84uk
09-03-2010, 8:50 AM
Sounds like your answer- could you not send the file out to a select few without the installer and see how we get on? may be that your worrying over nothing, like I said I am currently using an alternative to swype and quickly getting used to it, overall I prefer swype but only because it looks better- not something that will get me to chance back once I'm used to it.

brian.resnik
09-03-2010, 9:07 PM
The installer does more than just download the APK; it also generates the licensing files for each installation. If you are using a Swype APK WITHOUT using the installer, then your copy of Swype is unlicensed, unauthorized, and will not be supported.

Due to contractual obligations with our partners, ALL copies of Swype must include a valid registration license. This is the primary reason the installer is necessary.

jay84uk
09-04-2010, 10:37 AM
Thats a shame. I'm assuming you couldn't support the download from your own site otherwise this would be done already. Looks like i'm sticking with slideit then.

hanschke
09-04-2010, 10:58 AM
i dont have seen any different if licenced or not. i have got the installer of the beta but dont use swype cause of missing german language.

but thank you for explaining.

joe_morris
09-06-2010, 2:33 PM
Hi Brian,

Can you explain the erratic licensing for Swype for Android? I have a Verizon HTC Incredible, and would like to install swype -- beta, final, or otherwise. If I understand correctly, you have licensed swype for the Verizon Droid X (same OS and carrier) and for the HTC HD2 (same hardware). But as an HTC Incredible owner, I cannot for love or money get a copy of Swype . . . so I'm trying begging here. From a consumer perspective, this seems like a bizarre business model: to offer the product to some customers without charge to them, and then deny it to others absolutely. I feel like there is a Swype vendetta against my phone.

I have also tried bringing it up with Verizon Customer Service reps when I have been talking to them about other things, but they have never heard of it. "Hey by the way do you know if there is any way I can get Swype on my phone?" "Is that an application?" they ask. "Can't you download it from the Android Market?" "No," I say, "they only license it through carriers, like Verizon does with the Droid X, I was hoping I could suggest Verizon put it on the Incredible." "Oh. Well, I've never heard of it, and if they don't ship it with the Incredible then it seems like it's probably not available for it. Sorry." I've had that conversation twice with two different Verizon reps. Whole process is frustrating.

Thanks,

Joe

nickster20
09-07-2010, 11:22 PM
I could of sworn I registered for the swype beta before June an ive been waiting so anxiously for that email to pop up on my phone but never did, I might have done it wrong but I doubt it cause it ain't really that hard to register haha, I really want swype on my HTC hero so is there anything at all you can do for me please help, if not can you at least tell me when the next beta will open so I can look forward to it?? Please an thank you sir

umplarry
09-10-2010, 9:29 PM
Brian, How can I get current update of the beta program. I downloaded original beta but I would like to get the current version if possible.

Thanks,
Larry

Well, never mind, the update came today

teritturtle
09-11-2010, 5:47 PM
I am receiving an error which states my Swype Installer is expired. Log onto beta.swype.com to get the new version.

When I do this I get the same error, please help I love my swype and can't live without it!

swschultz
09-11-2010, 6:04 PM
I am receiving an error which states my Swype Installer is expired. Log onto beta.swype.com to get the new version.

When I do this I get the same error, please help I love my swype and can't live without it!

Same problem here. Help!

brian.resnik
09-11-2010, 6:59 PM
Please make troubleshooting requests in the proper forum. Thank you.

David_IJkema
09-13-2010, 1:38 AM
I am an enthousiastic user from The Netherlands. Showed swype to many people. Works very good on my Desire!
Till the september update; I lost the ability to use the Dutch dictionary in swype. Only 5 languages left to choose from. Is this something I can repair myself?

brian.resnik
09-13-2010, 12:21 PM
David_IJkema: We have never released an official beta copy with Dutch support.

harry19
09-14-2010, 6:56 PM
The Android beta for Swype has been closed since June, will it ever re-open? If so, do you have any idea when? Unfortunately I was not able to get the beta in time before it went off-line and I absolutely love Swype and hope it comes to Android market in the near future as it would be a HUGE success.

Thanks for your time

ProbateGeek
09-17-2010, 2:07 PM
[. . .]
But as an HTC Incredible owner, I cannot for love or money get a copy of Swype . . . so I'm trying begging here. From a consumer perspective, this seems like a bizarre business model: to offer the product to some customers without charge to them, and then deny it to others absolutely. I feel like there is a Swype vendetta against my phone.
[. . .]
I find myself in the same predicament as Joe: wonderful new HTC Android Incredible phone - no way to get it to run Swype.

Did I simply make the wrong phone choice, or was it more a timing gaff?

Crappy feelings notwithstanding,

Terry

PurplePeopleEater
09-18-2010, 8:31 AM
Hello! I'm curious when I will receive an e-mail from SwypeInc. For the Beta. I am a Droid Incredible user, and have been waiting since middle of June. I'm very anxious and would truely love to hear back from Swype. Maybe i've waited too long? Please reply back or drop an email at dbtenner@gmail.com. Any ideas?

TheeChill
09-18-2010, 3:50 PM
I would really like to have a copy of this program for my evo. Is there any way you can pay to be a beta tester. I love this keyboard it is amazing. I would pay up to $50 to have it on my evo.

bwell01
09-18-2010, 6:47 PM
I applaud the swype team for making a product that everyone seems to love. I absolutely adore this and see it as a leap forward for the way we communicate. Now theres one issue... My wifes Epic came with SWYPE preloaded and once I played with it I fell in love and began searching for a way to install it on my EVO. Well, after finding the apk I installed it and had been using it for about two weeks when suddenly it expired... WHAAAAAAAT? Yup, that was the expression I made as i frantically searched the web to find out what was going on which led me here. If I had known the app were to expire I would never have installed it because now I am seriously addicted and I want my SWYPE Back!!! After SWYPE going back to a regular keyboard is like mankind suddenly going back to being cavemen. This blows so whatever you do PLEASE HURRY THE HELL UP AND GET A PRODUCT TO THE PUBLIC!!! If we have to pay, we have to pay. Just dont make it some astronomical price and we will anty up. Now all my friends with EVO's will be pissed at me because I introduced them to this product and as soon as they get used to it, its going to die on them. AHHHHH!!!!!!

wrytyr
09-20-2010, 7:25 AM
Would it be possible to get my wife in the beta program?
Seriously, the fact that I have it and she doesn't is kind of a problem ;)
Help!

tldr: my wife is jealous of my swype-tasticness; help!

`Thats`
09-20-2010, 5:29 PM
So, I had Swype on my Droid from a .apk download (sorry I didn't realize at the time you wanted it closed so tightly. It is android after all.) And now that a new month has hit, I am unable to use Swype. Texting totally sucks for me now. I miss swype so much and can't wait for this awesome keyboard to be open up again! Thanks devs for the awesome keyboard. I'm ready to pay $50 for it. Today.

rogersweden
09-20-2010, 10:00 PM
Since the version I had on my Droid expired and I'm not in the Beta I find myself pushed to buy the competing product SlideIt.

How is it possible for you to not have a version available for purchase online? I've had zero issues with the pre beta version I used. I don't see why you just couldn't offer the darn thing for me to buy.

I'm not happy.

marklmathews
09-21-2010, 3:39 AM
I have been in the beta since June. Used Swype on my Moto Droid and now my HTC Incredible. It expired and will not re-install. Should I have received my new email for the September Beta upgrade by now?

PurplePeopleEater
09-22-2010, 1:00 PM
I would like to hear something from the developer of this swype program real soon... I wait each and everyday and is very disappointed on the development of a program that may only go out to a select few. Unruly behavior.

brian.resnik
09-22-2010, 7:27 PM
For those wondering about distribution model, definitely check out this article: http://www.rcrwireless.com/article/20100917/ENABLERAPPS/100919963/spotlight-on-swype You get the word straight from the mouth of our CEO :)

As to accounts that have been waiting a while: The beta has been closed since early in June. We have nothing to announce at this point about when we'll reopen the beta. We need to make some changes on our end before we're able to do that. There's a lot of you already :)

SteveG
10-04-2010, 12:17 AM
Here is a copy of the email I received when I downloaded Swype. As I wrote in earlier emails my copy expired and I could not get an update because I was never told I had to register? Did you purposely leave out the fact that I would have to register. For what purpose? How do I get back in your good graces, so I can use Swype again?

On Jun 17, 2010 9:08 AM, <Android@betainfo.swype.com> wrote:
>
> Hi Steve,
>
> Thanks for being part of our beta. Activate the link below to download the Swype Beta Installer to your device. By downloading the Swype Installer you agree to Swype's Terms and Conditions.
>
> https://beta.swype.com/android/get/
>
>
>
> If you have problems or questions please visit http://beta.swype.com and read the Swype Step-by-Step Install instructions, the Swype FAQ, or the Swype forums to see what other users are saying. You are also welcome to send email to androidbeta@swype.com with additional feedback or questions - We are happy to get emails and will answer questions as soon as we can, but please also check the resources above for information.
>
> Thanks!
>
> The Swype Team

Hardwood
10-04-2010, 5:22 AM
I, too, would like to see Swype released for public consumption. I have been using the unauthorized version for my EVO, and found a copy for my wife's Hero. Both worked for a long time, but now they are both expired. Hers 2 weeks ago, mine today.

If anyone up the ladder at Swype reads these forums, listen to the outcry!

Slide-It is going to eat your lunch if something isn't done to retain the masses out there who dug deep and found a working copy for their phone model. Myself included.

I haven't even looked at Slide-It. Don't want to. Swype is a great product.

Why not work it from all angles? Go ahead and sell it to the manufacturers as an embedded keyboard! Genius! Sell it to the rest of us who want to pay! More genius!

Whatever the reason is for holding out, it is damaging your future in ways that only the internet can!

I have an HTC EVO and would like to get Swype back. My email is 93xLowRider@gmail.com Anyone from Team Swype listening?

Thanks and good luck to Swype!

Joseph Monaco
10-04-2010, 7:31 AM
I agree. I was getting the .APK from the same place everyone else was getting it. I bought my girl a EPIC BECAUSE of SWYPE. I would love to get it legit for my EVO. Why are we FIRST.... like the commercial says... but LAST for swype. Its obvious it works on EVO. Kick it down!

bmhorn
10-04-2010, 9:07 AM
I must echo the sentiments of the previous posters. For those of us who were using swype and now have lost it are being forced to find other keyboard tools, and the longer we wait the higher the likelihood is we won't return. The product is great. I would recommend those who were already using it be permitted to continue using it - ad hoc beta testers if you will - and then close off any additional downloads until you go public. There are a handful of people who were using the product, telling their friends about the product, and now we have to go back with our tail between our legs and explain what is happening. Not good for us, not good for Swype either. Please reconsider. Thanks.

chrisonline
10-04-2010, 9:43 AM
I echo those thoughts of recent posters. All press from here on will be bad press because everyone is complaining. It is totally clear that it works fine on the HTC Evo - it is wonderful - so please just release it and stop the growing outcry, which will in the long run have a negative impact.

I am prepared to pay - this is not a penny-pinching exercise by the "freebie bandwagon", it's a genuine cry from supporters of the product who are happy and willing to pay for it.

I am forced to switch for the time being to ShapeWriter. Don't like it as much, but as time goes by I am likely to get more comfortable with it and will be more reluctant to switch back.

Anyone from Swype listening? Please respond, and please understand that IT WORKS FINE ON THE EVO (with froyo).

themogul
10-04-2010, 10:07 AM
I have to agree. I am shocked that this is not yet available on the marketplace. I have been using swype on my evo for months now without an issue and still nothing official from swype. I am happy to pay for swype even in the old form, just get swype working for us again.

evo4guser
10-04-2010, 10:54 AM
Just wanted to let you and your company know you have already lost hundreds of thousands of dollars to slideit and thousands of users to shapewriter. I know that once you gave out the swype software i definately used it in everything i did, including emails and texting. I have an evo 4g and know at least 16 other people with them, all of which had swype and loved it. This last weekend we made a pact to move on to another software that did the same thing but was open for download now. We refused to go back to typing, and as swype is done for now, the only alternative is to look for a permanent keyboard on my phone.

Hope you come out with a great product for a reasonable price, but your product is near perfect and can be updated, nothing is perfect on release day. I dont understand why you dont release it, but its your company not mine.

Just wanted to let you know you have lost over $100 (assuming a $7-$10 price on the program) in revenue from this guy and his evo friends. Model that out to the entire evo community and that will be millions of dollars lost. Oh well! Someone else has my money now!

That is my one and only post and im sticking to some other program with a better business model. Thanks for the fun few months.

GiftedPlacebo
10-04-2010, 11:39 AM
Adding my name to the list of people that will just buy SlideIT. My "unofficial" beta on my EVO ran out today, and I'm just going to buy SlideIT. Congratulations Swype, you have a killer app, but for some reason you refuse to sell it to me.

bwell01
10-04-2010, 1:13 PM
UGH!!! back to this expired sh*t again. it is unbelievable to me how a company could ignore the cries of its community. a community it created with its innovation but will quickly loose as people discover other alternatives. hell, the only flaw my beta had is the ticking timebomb that made it expire. other than that it performed flawlessly on my device (another evo).

more of the swype team needs to visit their forums and get off their butts and get this software released to the public. we are ready and willing to pay, nobodies asking for any handouts. but if you folk keep d*cking us around we will be forced to go elsewhere. I have shown everyone i know with an evo or any droid phone for that matter this sofware and they all have expressed interest or found a apk for it. now they all are pissed as hell just like me as its expired once again and its harder and harder to find the apk + we see the developers dont seem to really care that we want the product asap and are eventually moving elsewhere. sigh!! i wish i were smarter at these things, id crack it myself. UGH!!!!!!

-- ANOTHER PISSED OFF EVO OWNER.

Hardwood
10-04-2010, 7:35 PM
Mike McSherry

CEO of Swype

Are you listening to this?

Anyone have his email address? I would love for him to join the discussion and let us know why he does not want our money.

Sell it to us. Sell it to the manufacturers.

SELL IT. Expired software results in LOST SALES....

Have you taken a pulse of the economy lately? Um, sales are usually something a company SEEKS, not AVOIDS.

Someone get Mike McSherry's email address so we can ask him directly....

Thank you.

vmi2k2
10-05-2010, 7:22 PM
Registered so I could echo the comments from the previous posters here.

I have an Evo & HAD a working version of swype until a couple days ago. I just got a link from a friend since the BETA was closed after I finally got my Evo. I had also shared it with several of my friends that recently bought Evo's as well.

I can't STAND the old keyboard, but I also can't stand slideit or shapewritter - they suck worse than the trail version of swype that for some reason you guys have developed but aren't comfortable releasing to others yet.

I don't know what the drama is, just sell this thing - while it's still hot, before (as the others mentioned) you piss everybody off & lose the fan base.

I'll even pay for the beta - that's what updates are for, nobody expects this stuff to be perfect, expecially on phones that have just been introduced to the market as well. I'm constantly updating my apps on my Evo, I don't mind having to update swype either.

You guys are LOSING $$$$$. Big time. SELL IT & STOP BETA, BETA, BETA, BETA testing the thing!!!!!!!!!!

negativefx
10-05-2010, 11:51 PM
For those wondering about distribution model, definitely check out this article: http://www.rcrwireless.com/article/20100917/ENABLERAPPS/100919963/spotlight-on-swype You get the word straight from the mouth of our CEO :)

So if I understand correctly, as a Evo 4G swype beta user, I will never receive a final product because you're only targeting OEMs? That's cool, free beta testing and no need to ever produce a finished product.

Swype won't be around on android for long anyway now that Google has purchased blindtype.

Fish-Ninja
10-06-2010, 8:11 AM
Ditto to all. Love the keyboard, hate that I can't buy it to USE IT. I'm using the HTC Incredible. Please change your mind and make the app available!

bwell01
10-06-2010, 9:04 AM
BlindType looks extremely promising. I hope its released soon...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9b8NlMd79w

Swype should be on all droid phones.. it has the potential to change the game but due to the sillyness of the chairman of this company it appears many of us may miss out. This reminds me of the way Sonys PS3 leaped ahead of Microsoft and Nintendo. They were willing to market to what the community wanted while Nintendo concentrated on kids and Microsoft was late to the party. Old folk out of touch with the customer base shouldnt be allowed to make decisions of this nature lol.

BlueZannetti
10-09-2010, 4:02 PM
I really have to reinforce the sentiment that a number of other posters have mentioned. When there is this much pull from your potential customer base, the manner in which it's being handled now tends to leave a taste that can only be described as disdain for the end-use customer.

I realize than on OEM based approach is the preferred path. That's obvious to anyone with commercial experience. However, it's already been put out that an end-user app is a likely eventuality, so we're not talking a business model change. It's simply a matter of timing. The problem is that real life doesn't always wait for those nice looking business plans to play out as initially positioned. When something is hot, desired, works very well by all accounts, and is put out there in highly controlled doses, failure to adapt to a changing situation is more likely to result in permanent alienation than continued patience.

Look, I converted my entire family - there are 4 or us - to Swype via the beta. The only issue faced thus far has been related to that blasted expiration. Sure, we navigated that without real issue, but I find it absolutely amazing how Swype is approaching this situation.

More options are starting to appear. You have BlindType becoming part of Google. Look back in history, there are plenty of technically superior solutions that are in the dust bin of technology because the mishandled that initial cultivation of a customer base. I understand the risks of overwhelming a young support structure, but you're ignoring the risk of losing the edge that Swype now has. That edge is very fleeting these days and nothing to be trifled with.

Right now most of the folks asking about this are rooting for you. That passion is difficult to win and all to easy to squander and lose forever. Personally, I think that a lot of the end-user passion would be a benefit in cultivating the OEM base since there are a lot of us who would make handset decisions on the basis of the availability - native or otherwise - of features such as Swype.

As for leaving this type of decision to "old folk out of touch with the customer base"...., I'd guess that I'm either a contemporary of or a little older than the folks making these decisions. It's not an age thing, it's not seeing the situation for what it is in the marketplace.

B

keridel
11-04-2010, 12:33 PM
i have been a member of the beta from the get go, i have had a htc hero a htc desire and now i have the htc desire hd. i cant get the beta now on my hd because i have had it on two phones. how can i get round this?

P.s. i too think your coporate position on selling swype is wrong, and pointless, and self defeating, and costing you users, and costing you money.

i would pay for this.

joemango
11-08-2010, 1:35 PM
Swype (the program) - great. I was able to grab a hacked beta for my EVO. I convinced a number of people to upgrade to android JUST because of Swype. Now all my friends have it on their new phones and I'm back to hunt-and-peck because the beta expired. Total bull$hit.

Swype (the company) - Woefully short-sighted. Losing potential customers by the bucket load. SlideIT and others can manage to get a public release out, why can't Swype? Business model, I know... Guess what? Your business model sucks. If you sold Swype for even $.99 a copy you'd be swimming in so much money you would be able to hire all the support personnel you need. Let me guess... you signed a contract with some OEM to keep the product out of retail channels, didn't you?

Nice move. Now I guess the world will have to wait until they upgrade to their next phone (in another year) in order to get your great software.

brian.resnik
11-08-2010, 2:19 PM
Money today !== long term security

If giving up $100 and 100 users today means gaining $1000 and 1000 users tomorrow, what do you do? Our experience in the industry tells us that long-term company stability in this market requires an embedded software model. Think about Microsoft. They spend much more effort on getting Windows pre-installed on computers than they do on selling it at Best Buy. Could we make a lot of money next week if we put Swype on the Android Market? Absolutely. But where would that leave us in 5 years? With a market distribution, there's no incentive for manufacturers to pay us to include Swype. If the user wants it, they can just buy it on the market like any other app. Which inherently means there are people who WON'T buy it. Compare that to our current model, where we make "tens of cents" (quoth our CEO) for every device sold that has Swype on it. If we move too quickly to the Android market, we become just another market app among many. If we make ourselves an embedded technology, and become the defacto standard, we can then come to the market and make everyone happy.

Let me make that clear. We fully intend to sell to end-users eventually. Now is simply not the time. Doing so introduces more risk than reward, as we see it.

jay84uk
11-09-2010, 7:41 AM
Well guess that forces us to use shapewriter as an alternative then. Sounds like rubbish to me as last I was aware I can go into PC world and buy windows 7. That's launched at the same time as the bloody laptops running it. All I'm hearing is if you want swype you'll have to buy a new phone because the manufactures are paying us and we don't have to support the software. Personally my view would be to boycott this and never buy a phone running swype- sell it on the market or face p-ing people off like apple do with their closed software.

MadFlava
11-10-2010, 4:45 PM
Money today !== long term security

If giving up $100 and 100 users today means gaining $1000 and 1000 users tomorrow, what do you do? Our experience in the industry tells us that long-term company stability in this market requires an embedded software model. Think about Microsoft. They spend much more effort on getting Windows pre-installed on computers than they do on selling it at Best Buy. Could we make a lot of money next week if we put Swype on the Android Market? Absolutely. But where would that leave us in 5 years? With a market distribution, there's no incentive for manufacturers to pay us to include Swype. If the user wants it, they can just buy it on the market like any other app. Which inherently means there are people who WON'T buy it. Compare that to our current model, where we make "tens of cents" (quoth our CEO) for every device sold that has Swype on it. If we move too quickly to the Android market, we become just another market app among many. If we make ourselves an embedded technology, and become the defacto standard, we can then come to the market and make everyone happy.

Let me make that clear. We fully intend to sell to end-users eventually. Now is simply not the time. Doing so introduces more risk than reward, as we see it.

Your Microsoft comparison is flawed. I dont see Microsoft forcing people to buy new PCs to get the latest Windows.

Will there ever be any more beta spots open? I applied almost 6 months ago.. still waiting.

MrObvious
11-11-2010, 5:39 PM
Your Microsoft comparison is flawed. I dont see Microsoft forcing people to buy new PCs to get the latest Windows.

Will there ever be any more beta spots open? I applied almost 6 months ago.. still waiting.

I agree that you should at least give everyone wanting the chance to use the program a way to buy it. Some of us may want say a HTC phone or something instead of a phone that has Swype on it.

umplarry
11-11-2010, 6:50 PM
Brian, from a business standpoint, what you are doing does make sense. Fortunately, I have your beta and I am glad to have it. I really like the latest update. I do have one question. I have downloaded your beta on two phones, one of which went kaput and was replaced. Is there any way to delete the damaged phone and install the update on the newer phone. Both are Nexus one phones and the first had to be sent into HTC for warranty replacement. Now the new one will not download the new installer.

brian.resnik
11-11-2010, 11:22 PM
umplarry,

Log in at beta.swype.com and check the "phone info" box for a link to reset your device association. Let me know if you have trouble with that process.

xtoshh
11-12-2010, 6:34 AM
Hi,

today I got an activation email with a link. After (succesfully!) activating my beta account I tried to log in, but it didn't work out at all. It constantly says: "The email address and password is either incorrect or not in our system."

I'm quite sure that I used the correct user name and password. Is there any chance to get this thing working?

Thank you!

joemango
11-14-2010, 11:12 PM
I understand your point of view. I find it unsavory in a few regards but my point is this: Your excellent software apparently markets itself, and too well at that, to your own chagrin. You have succeeded in deflecting customers who would normally pay you money (me and a few others on this forum) towards other suppliers who willingly provide a similar service (SlideIT, in my case) to yours. Have fun swimming in your cash.

keridel
11-21-2010, 12:20 PM
Think about Microsoft. They spend much more effort on getting Windows pre-installed on computers than they do on selling it at Best Buy. with all due respect to microsoft they also suck as a mobile company. THEIR business model for mobile hasnt worked so has been changed.
Could we make a lot of money next week if we put Swype on the Android Market? Absolutely. But where would that leave us in 5 years? With lots of money. because the world will continue to buy your product. look at fishing to go. a stupid fishing app. it has downloaded 200,000 copies at $2.25 thats Half a million dollars for a silly little game. imagine if you could sell the keyboard at $3 on all the 160,000 sold a day! thats $480,000 a day! or even a quarter of them? $120,000 EVERY DAY! how does that not make good business sense?

brian.resnik
11-21-2010, 6:11 PM
They spend much more effort on getting Windows pre-installed on computers than they do on selling it at Best Buy. with all due respect to microsoft they also suck as a mobile company. THEIR business model for mobile hasnt worked so has been changed. With lots of money. because the world will continue to buy your product. look at fishing to go. a stupid fishing app. it has downloaded 200,000 copies at $2.25 thats Half a million dollars for a silly little game. imagine if you could sell the keyboard at $3 on all the 160,000 sold a day! thats $480,000 a day! or even a quarter of them? $120,000 EVERY DAY! how does that not make good business sense?

Because the odds of even a quarter of users buying Swype is virtually nil. It's not just about getting Swype into the hands of all the people who know about it and want it. It's also about getting it into the hands of people who've never heard of it before, and rarely if ever open the Market app. You also have to realize that the mobile market isn't our only market. We're looking at literally every touchscreen device there is, and even some non-touchscreen devices (think of categories like the Wii).

To be blunt, I'm kind of tired of justifying our business model over and over again. We've beaten this horse to death in several threads, on several forums. Any question you can ask or point you can make, I've probably already answered it :P The bottom line is, even if we decided tomorrow that we wanted to change our model, it's virtually impossible at this point, because it would require a hefty restructuring of the company internally (think along the lines of firing our marketing people and hiring a ton of Customer Service Reps, and firing our teams of QA people in favor of ... more CSRs :P). Not. Gonna. Happen.

The bottom line is this: We know you all want to see Swype on the market. We're not ignoring you, we're just choosing to disagree at this point. Should that ever change, we'll let you know :)

daonesteven
12-07-2010, 8:19 PM
This post has been deleted by author.

darkmax
12-08-2010, 5:09 PM
Wow... I registered for beta a few months back, and it seems I've been left out, again, of the beta program. Is there anyway to get into this beta? I would love to try the new Chinese PinYin method.

brian.resnik
12-09-2010, 9:11 PM
Wow... I registered for beta a few months back, and it seems I've been left out, again, of the beta program. Is there anyway to get into this beta? I would love to try the new Chinese PinYin method.

Ummm...your account shows that not only are you in the beta, but you downloaded a copy of Swype to your Sony Ericsson X10i on 10/29 :O

dez93_2000
12-10-2010, 5:29 AM
hi, quick one, apologies if this should be somewhere else or is a problem only i'm having: clicking on the 'register' button to register interest to get on the beta program doesn't seem to be working - nothing happens in firefox and it takes me to a generic 'page dead' in IE. Thanks in advance for looking at this / helping.

Coldom
12-10-2010, 7:21 AM
Great !! All registered & pumped to have Swype Functional

jray9242
12-10-2010, 8:14 PM
brian.resnik,

Got the new beta installed on my HTC EVO and all went well and looking forward to pounding on it for you all.

Keep up the great work!

Jim

creekdog
12-11-2010, 12:37 AM
if you're giving up mass release of Swype now because of how you might be able to market it in 5 years...none of us are going to be using Swype in 5 years. there will be a new medium of data entry by then, possibly several new ones. what if you'd invented the ipod 12 years ago and waited 5 to market it?

Sorry to be critical but I check in on this board from time to time to see if Swype will be available and I got teased by the latest release a few days ago because upon installation, it informed me that my phone was not an Android. I realize this is beta, but i was fumbling around, restarting my phone, searching through this forum --all for an application that was never going to work on my phone no matter what. Am I expected to read the whole forum to find out? Am I expected to remain interested in all the posts on a forum about an application that I can't even use?

I'll just use slide it. It's probably not as good as swype, but to be honest, maybe it is. it's been almost a year since i was able to use swype...it's been so long, i honestly don't remember if it's better or worse than slide it...though slide it's getting the job done.

i was really excited about the new beta offering but all it is for me is about an hour of pointless frustration that i will not be getting back.

and you know what else? it was announced it was on the samsung phones, approximately 35 days after i bought my phone (an incredible). so i couldn't take mine back and exchange it to get your product.

creekdog
12-11-2010, 12:46 AM
So if I understand correctly, as a Evo 4G swype beta user, I will never receive a final product because you're only targeting OEMs? That's cool, free beta testing and no need to ever produce a finished product.

Swype won't be around on android for long anyway now that Google has purchased blindtype.

you got used for the beta test. you're no longer needed.

must feel good.

as for me, i've raved about swype to my friends, posted on fb about it, all for naught. heck, i've spent money on keyboard apps trying to replicate the swype experience --with some success, but it took buying both slideit and shapewriter to do so. i probably have spent $30 on various keyboard apps related to finding this capability.

RobWest
12-11-2010, 3:29 AM
Yesterday I received my email acceptance to to use the beta Swype on my android phone (HTC MyTouch OS v2.2.1). I downloaded the Installer (fine), login then my phone hangs on the download of the app (no arrow indicating downloading). I let the spinning indicator go on for almost an hour, but nothing happens. The Swype installer is there fine, but no further. Is there a manual install?
I apologize if this is wrong thread to post this in.
Thanks.

jay84uk
12-11-2010, 11:08 AM
So when do those who have signed up and waiting patiently for the beta get the change to try it?

BlueZannetti
12-11-2010, 3:17 PM
At the risk of beating a dead horse....

The 5 myths of building a great mobile team (http://techcrunch.com/2010/12/11/the-5-myths-of-building-a-great-mobile-team/)

See myth 3...., the author does have some credibility in the area. Just sayin'

Blue

BetaMan
12-20-2010, 9:59 PM
I am hoping that this WILL be available for non-OEM phones. I have the HTC Incredible currently and was thinking of upgrading to the Incredible HD when it becomes available. Hopefully, the Incredible HD will have Swype pre-installed. If not, I have SlideIt and UltraKeyboard already, but prefer Swype.

The ONLY thing I wish Swype would do that it doesn't but the other 2 programs afore mentioned is that when you get to a double letter in a word you don't have to "stutter" move on the letter to get it to type 2 letters. Instead, it will know the word has 2 of the same letters and let you go on.

Other than that, Swype rules!

leon_heller
12-22-2010, 7:58 PM
I've been using the Swype beta for several months on my Dell Streak. I've just upgraded it to Android 2.2, and I see that Swype is included with the new OS. How do I enable the Swype keyboard?

ScottyBrown
12-28-2010, 7:54 AM
I've been using the Swype beta for several months on my Dell Streak. I've just upgraded it to Android 2.2, and I see that Swype is included with the new OS. How do I enable the Swype keyboard?

Long press on a text field - select INPUT METHOD - select SWYPE

Should be active then.

ScottyBrown
12-28-2010, 8:06 AM
if you're giving up mass release of Swype now because of how you might be able to market it in 5 years...none of us are going to be using Swype in 5 years. there will be a new medium of data entry by then, possibly several new ones. what if you'd invented the ipod 12 years ago and waited 5 to market it?

Disagree. See T9. Heck, see any QWERTY keyboard.

Sorry to be critical but I check in on this board from time to time to see if Swype will be available and I got teased by the latest release a few days ago because upon installation, it informed me that my phone was not an Android. I realize this is beta, but i was fumbling around, restarting my phone, searching through this forum --all for an application that was never going to work on my phone no matter what. Am I expected to read the whole forum to find out? Am I expected to remain interested in all the posts on a forum about an application that I can't even use?

I'm still waiting for the Apple App Store on my Android device. I didn't find anywhere on the Apple homepage about it not being for Android, so I should see it soon... right?

I'll just use slide it. It's probably not as good as swype, but to be honest, maybe it is. it's been almost a year since i was able to use swype...it's been so long, i honestly don't remember if it's better or worse than slide it...though slide it's getting the job done.

Don't you love an open market?

i was really excited about the new beta offering but all it is for me is about an hour of pointless frustration that i will not be getting back.

Because it took you an hour to learn that your device wasn't supported? That's a bummer. If you're ever in my area, I'll buy you a beer to earn that hour back.

and you know what else? it was announced it was on the samsung phones, approximately 35 days after i bought my phone (an incredible). so i couldn't take mine back and exchange it to get your product.

Now that does suck. But really, is that anyones "fault"? In the mobile industry, most devices have about a 90 day lifespan before something "better" comes out...

BetaMan
01-03-2011, 7:48 AM
Well, this latest December version of the beta stops swyping on my Increcible. The prior version worked flawlessly. This new "improved" update will only work for a short while and then it stops swyping altogether. I have to uninstall and reinstall it again for it to start working again and it only works for a short while.

Bummed out.

Luke-W
01-03-2011, 1:22 PM
There were some comments about a similar problem on another thread. A simpler solution than reloading is to long press on the input area; change input; then change back to Swype. That fixes the bug for a while. It would be best if they figure out how to resolve the bug altogether. We have to wait for that.
Good luck,
Luke

juliansdad
01-05-2011, 9:57 PM
I'm using I’m using Android Version 2.2,
Software #3.70.651.1 on my HTC Evo.

I still can't use Swype even after I've uninstalled the trial version and rebooted my device.

Here's what kind of error messages that I'm receiving:
Sorry!
The application Swype (processcom.swype.android.inputmethod) has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again.

Force Close

Then, I see the following message on my screen:

Swype Installation Failed
Registration of Swype failed.
OK

I thought that Swype would automatically work with the new software version. I was obviously mistaken. Can you offer any ideas of what's gone wrong and what I can do to correct this?

Thanks.

jdwada
02-03-2011, 3:08 PM
Well, this latest December version of the beta stops swyping on my Increcible. The prior version worked flawlessly. This new "improved" update will only work for a short while and then it stops swyping altogether. I have to uninstall and reinstall it again for it to start working again and it only works for a short while.

Bummed out.

I'm having the same problem. It got so frustrating and turned off Swype. Hope the GR version comes out soon!

pkaufman
02-19-2011, 7:56 AM
I thought the latest version of the Beta was GREAT. My only complaint is that I'd like to hide the "voice" key, which I hit accidentally and have to wait a few seconds each time to cancel - and with Swype I have no intention of using Voice...

But a big problem: yesterday, I got a message "Your trial period has ended. Please upgrade your copy of Swype" and it will no longer swype. I can't find that anybody else here has posted something similar recently, and I've received no other message about upgrading. This is a rude way to find this out - it would have been better to have a 30-day warning so I wouldn't be left without my most indispensable input method in the middle of being nowhere near a real computer or keyboard. Perhaps I was supposed to get an email or other message about upgrading, but I've checked my SPAM and junk folders and don't see such a message since the December update (which I did). Any HELP out there?

rob.boehm
02-20-2011, 12:32 AM
I thought the latest version of the Beta was GREAT. My only complaint is that I'd like to hide the "voice" key, which I hit accidentally and have to wait a few seconds each time to cancel - and with Swype I have no intention of using Voice...

But a big problem: yesterday, I got a message "Your trial period has ended. Please upgrade your copy of Swype" and it will no longer swype. I can't find that anybody else here has posted something similar recently, and I've received no other message about upgrading. This is a rude way to find this out - it would have been better to have a 30-day warning so I wouldn't be left without my most indispensable input method in the middle of being nowhere near a real computer or keyboard. Perhaps I was supposed to get an email or other message about upgrading, but I've checked my SPAM and junk folders and don't see such a message since the December update (which I did). Any HELP out there?

Just uninstall and reinstall and you should be set for a few more weeks

pkaufman
02-21-2011, 9:50 AM
That sounds fair, but it was interesting what happenned when I just tried that (uninstalled Swype, opened Swype Installer which required me to upgrade the installer so I did, logged in, choose "English/Spanish" smaller version, and clicked "download"). I got a "Parse Error: unable to parse the package." But then it asked my permissions, and said "Application Installed." AND IT WORKS.

You can forget how really great Swype is until you have to use the other keyboard for a couple of days!

weedod
03-21-2011, 7:40 AM
Swype is brilliant....my beta just expired so I download the latest.....but I was just wondering if there is an expected release date?
HTC Desire (2.2)

chrisonline
03-30-2011, 3:55 AM
I'm disappointed that the latest update does NOT include a resolution for the Xoom.

I registered for the Beta when it first reopened, but immediately lost out because my HTC Evo was updated with the built-in Swype (which was not the latest update).

Now I also have a Motorola Xoom and eagerly downloaded the latest update - to find that the max resolution it goes to is 1024 x 768, not the 1280 x 800 of the widescreen Xoom, and it won't install. I am surprised, because with last weekend's release of the new 32GB wi-fi only model, there are going to be a lot of disappointed Swype fans unable to install Swype.

When can we expect a Xoom compatible Swype Beta?

turbopunk
05-10-2011, 10:24 AM
Need another resolution. I recently got a T-Mobile G-Slate (LG-V909). It has a screen resolution of 1280 x 768.

*sad face*

Dávid Horváth
05-14-2011, 11:46 AM
I got the trial period expired message with hungarian beta on Samsung Galaxy S, tried to reinstalling... Not working, i can't live without it please help

martyall
05-17-2011, 6:21 PM

Contact the administrator who work in your swype. I think he knows it.

Jordon2
08-04-2011, 9:48 PM
This has already been addressed in a new maintenance release. uninstall swype, re-run the installer and you'll have the newest version.

jpagebarlow
08-10-2011, 6:03 PM
I have a Motorola Xoom that is Wi-Fi only and I went through the steps to download the beta and after entering the account code I received the message that the screen size is not supported. Do you have any suggestions on what to do?

rob.boehm
08-14-2011, 12:37 PM
I have a Motorola Xoom that is Wi-Fi only and I went through the steps to download the beta and after entering the account code I received the message that the screen size is not supported. Do you have any suggestions on what to do?This is a known issue with Android 3.2 as Google changed the way they were reporting the screen size. Will be resolved in the next version of the beta.

ehay2011
08-23-2011, 5:12 AM
It seems a LOT of tablet users have upgraded (or have BEEN upgraded) to Honeycomb 3.2 and this is causing issues with many apps, including Swype.

Now, the beta is free, so people really should not complain too much, but they all realize that the longer the beta takes, the longer it will take to see the GA product. I believe that is the source of a lot of expressed impatience. But, there are resource constraints so we will just have to wait.

My recommedations for future releases to improve customer satisfaction *and* reduce development effort:

It would be nice if the resolution check were not so brittle - in the case of the 3.2 update we are talking 48 pixels. A popup telling the user that the resolution is not supported, but letting them proceed anyway, would be a good idea.

Auto-scaling *within* certain resolution settings would be a good feature. For example, if 1200/800 is supported, then anything down to 1000/640 (20% reduction on each axis, just as an example) would auto-scale. People can always uninstall using the App manager, so if they have any issues, they won't be fatal.

Thanks for a cool product. I love it on my Droid X. Looking foward to using it on my Xoom.

hlwoodcock
08-23-2011, 8:50 AM
Hi - I'm having a very hard time finding the answer to this question: Is the new beta released today for both tablets and phone or just for phones?

brian.resnik
08-23-2011, 9:11 AM
hlwoodcock: please see the supported resolution table - http://beta.swype.com/android/supported/

sscblackrock
08-28-2013, 10:33 AM
I am new so probably wrong forum, but..... Is Swype availible for iPhone? If not then when?

Jacob.W
08-28-2013, 12:28 PM
I am new so probably wrong forum, but..... Is Swype availible for iPhone? If not then when?

iOS is a closed-environment for third-party keyboards. Although we would love to be on these devices, as things are right now, we don't fit into the picture for iOS.

Perhaps this will change in the future, just keep letting them know how much you want Swype.

Thanks

script
08-29-2013, 6:07 AM
Will it be possible to use Swype beta after September 14th? Swype beta is important for me because my galaxy note stock email has problems with the enter key of the regular Swype.
Btw: I live Swype!!
Greetings, script

amanda30
09-03-2013, 5:39 AM
swype keyboard is now available on Android play store which is a great news for fans, I have downloaded it and have recommended it to my friends as well.

user01
10-11-2013, 6:02 PM
Swype Beta ran out Sept 14 and was successfully running with russian and English language. Attempted to download FULL version at Google Store and it says "not a valid android device". Is there a work around for this? Thanks

hanschke
10-27-2013, 7:29 AM
maybe we will get the new beta with play store beta channel :D nice goodie

provolino
11-01-2013, 9:31 AM
I also suggest to use android embedded beta channels to deliver the beta

agent.soap
11-15-2013, 12:28 AM
this experience of being a beta for about 3 years with various devices, and now I have to buy it? (then not compatible) blah, samsung is starting to make me sick. next time, Ill avoid galaxy & go nexus. terrible final user experience. going to find a modded version for free that works. took me 3 min and I had a working version on my phone fully set up. took me 4x as long to register and type this.

dev3_Swyp_e
11-23-2013, 1:27 AM
How do I try SWYPE beta on my phone?

mcarver2000
11-23-2013, 5:12 AM
Currently, you can't. At the present, they do not have a beta program running.

There is a 30-day trial at the Play Store.

dev3_Swyp_e
11-25-2013, 1:33 AM
When will it start again? I have the latest version.

mountainbikermark
11-25-2013, 3:38 AM
When will it start again? I have the latest version.

I asked to join the beta group back in August. Haven't heard a word, yes, no or anything.

Support Our Troops!!!
<><
s pen aholic in Beast Mode (Notetoo)

dev3_Swyp_e
11-26-2013, 1:52 AM
I asked to join the beta group back in August. Haven't heard a word, yes, no or anything.

Support Our Troops!!!
<><
s pen aholic in Beast Mode (Notetoo)

I've also asked to join the beta group. How do we test the new beta not the expired one?

mcarver2000
11-26-2013, 7:24 AM
One doesn't, or can't, as there is no new beta. That is unless we consider the paid version as beta, it certainly sounds as if the last release needed a good beta test before was released.

forums
11-26-2013, 8:54 AM
One doesn't, or can't, as there is no new beta. That is unless we consider the paid version as beta, it certainly sounds as if the last release needed a good beta test before was released.That's funny. I was thinking exactly the same thing. I'm pretty sure there were fewer problems with 1.4.9.13905 than there are with 1.6.3.22544 .

dev3_Swyp_e
11-27-2013, 1:46 AM
One doesn't, or can't, as there is no new beta. That is unless we consider the paid version as beta, it certainly sounds as if the last release needed a good beta test before was released.

That's funny. I was thinking exactly the same thing. I'm pretty sure there were fewer problems with 1.4.9.13905 than there are with 1.6.3.22544 .
Really something's weird.

spider623
03-31-2014, 9:54 AM
What is going on with the beta, is it dead or something?
Did you guys moved to a Google group?
If no why I can't find any information about it after the 30th of October 2013?

forums
03-31-2014, 6:04 PM
What is going on with the beta, is it dead or something?
Did you guys moved to a Google group?
If no why I can't find any information about it after the 30th of October 2013?Swype has made the paid version the new beta. Not officially, but for all intents and purposes. Sadly, when it was really beta, it was much better than the last two paid versions. If you want a beta, pay $3.99 for the current pad version. Just don't expect updates like when it was really in beta. Nuance purchased Swype and has completely let the Swype users down.

spider623
03-31-2014, 8:00 PM
I already have bought the keyboard, in fact since the first day the payed version released, that makes sense, I better report that Twitter data migration is broken

shady225
04-26-2014, 12:47 PM
is swype dead or when is the next update?

mcarver2000
04-27-2014, 5:13 AM
Rumor has it that an update is in the works. Whether that means they finally started coding an update or that it's finished and they are getting ready to push it out, is the big question.

Jesus_C31
04-27-2014, 7:19 AM
Waiting for beta with emoji....

Denverfix
05-04-2015, 6:37 AM
Hello, I'm from Brazil would like to download the beta swype for testing, could send me the link poor favor! Thank you!

mcarver2000
05-05-2015, 1:24 AM
There hasn't been a beta release in ages. Basically, the beta program was shut down.

mrduongonline1
08-09-2016, 6:31 AM
There are plenty of great choices when it comes to a keyboard for your Android device, and Swype has long been a crowd favorite

Magpie42
03-09-2017, 2:03 AM
It still is ... if you just stay with v2 and don't update to the latest version (v3.02), as it doesn't capitalize any more by swyping over the upper border.
Aaah, right now a market update popped up: Obviously there was an update on March, 6th ... v3.04 ... trying ... still doesn't work. :(
Although the support promised a fix months ago. But although even a version has been skipped, nothing has been fixed.

Probably this outstanding feature has been dropped (although still mentioned in the manuals and tutorials).
Very sad, esp. as this (and the swype for Copy 'n Paste) was my main reason over e. g. SwiftKey.

But thanks god I still have an old apk ... thus reverting to v2.2.3 again.

Kind of disenchanting to see that they still give a sh*t on user feedback. :((