PDA

View Full Version : Move the 'close' icon for suggested word pop-up to right-hand side

mikebrennan
08-07-2010, 11:13 AM
It goes against web (and most OS) UI design standards having the suggest popup's close 'x' on the left.

It's quite a large left-hand margin, but only contains the close icon, waste of screen real estate and blocks the user's view of the words behind it. As a UX designer, this was the first thing I noticed and it really bugs me.

Perhaps a red, semi-transparent 'x' at the top right of the suggest window would feel more intuitive and take up less space?

Otherwise, love the speed improvement over normal text entry and appreciate the reduced need for accuracy.

Cheers.

rewtnull
09-05-2010, 5:34 PM
This is one of the thing i noticed when i tried swype the first time. It should def. be on the right side.

brian.resnik
09-08-2010, 7:21 PM
We put it on the left side, because we want selecting words from the popup to be easiest for the majority of users (right-handed swypers). The preferred method for selecting words from the word-choice window is to tap-and-drag off the side of the window (instead of just tapping the word). Drag off the top for the default choice, off the right for another choice, off the bottom for the next page, and off the left to close. Putting the close option on the right would make cancelling the dialog take ease-of-use priority over actually selecting an alternate word, which isn't something we want.

rewtnull
09-11-2010, 5:29 PM
Ok, I understand. How about making it configurable then? Left/Right.. maybe even Up/Down? That would be sure to please most people, be they left- or right handed. :)