PDA

View Full Version : ERROR: "Swype is already installed" even though it's definitely not

migr9790127
08-09-2010, 3:50 PM
Just an FYI in case it might help someone else. I tried no fewer than ten times yesterday and today to install Swype again after I had to do a reset on my phone. Removed ALL traces of Swype on my phone (using Astro to search), uninstalled it one way/checked that it uninstalled via another way; downloaded the newest install link. Followed the install directions here on Swype's website. NO GOOD....

This is the only thing I did differently this time as opposed to the other 9-10 attempts. I already had UNKNOWN SOURCES (allow install) checked so I had just been trying to install per directions except for that part. THIS LAST TIME, I decided to start with that UNCHECKED, and follow the install directions to the letter. It gives you an option to check that Unknown Sources option as you go thru the instructions. BINGO, this time it worked.

Maybe that's why it worked. It was the only thing I did differently.

GT
08-09-2010, 8:48 PM
I haven't had Swype back on my phone for months after the so called "Update" back in June. Did the same, wiped all traces of Swype, but won't install. Says it is already installed, then the keyboard won't do anything but make noise, like I typed a wrong word. Support SUCKS. No help. Have posted multiple times with NO help.

Vincent Poy
08-26-2010, 4:04 PM
Didn't work for me, still getting the Download of the package failed. Swype is already installed. Please uninstall and try again.

brian.resnik
08-31-2010, 11:37 AM
This is a known issue for us with the beta at the moment. Check out our list of known issues here: http://forum.swype.com/showthread.php?993-KNOWN-BETA-for-Android-ISSUES-Please-read-before-posting-(UPDATE-8-18-10).

Here are somethings you can try, if you're a ROOT user...
If you're able, make sure that Swype is UNCHECKED in Settings -> Language & Keyboard before you uninstall/reinstall.
Make sure there are no files starting with com.swype.android located in your /data/app directory BEFORE installing Swype
If you're using APPS2SD, make sure it is DISABLED before trying to install Swype. You can re-enable it afterwards.
Try deleting your Dalvik-Cache if you're using a custom-recovery image.
Last resort, you can always try a full factory reset/wipe. These problems usually crop up after multiple system upgrades, when Swype was installed prior to the upgrade. It's thought to be a side effect of file remnants hanging around despite the new version being incompatible with the previously installed license files.

Almighty1
08-31-2010, 11:52 AM
Thanks Brian for the response in both threads. I just noticed that it's covered in the known beta issues, hopefully the next beta will get installed properly.

I am a root user and Swype is unchecked in Settings -> Laguage & Keyboard before the uninstall/reinstall.
There is no files starting with com.swype.android in /data/app as I even used root explorer to search for swype with no results found.
As far a APPS2SD, are you talking about apps2sd added to certain custom roms or just froyo Android 2.2 in general as I am using the later and you can install apps to SD or force it with Titanium Backup.
For Dalvik-Cache, I have used cache cleaner as well as the Dalvik-cache cleaner in Titanium Backup and it didn't help.
The last resort is something I'm trying to avoid since I am still trying to figure out what specific area of the phone each Titanium Backup option backups so if I did do a full factory reset/wipe, I would be able to restore the configuration, SMS messages, etc of the phone before the reset/wipe.

The last resort is really a band-aid solution and not really a way to solve the issue since is there a way to log the installer so one can see where it's failing as I am sure this will help swype figure out where the problem exactly is as the last resort is almost like telling someone to fully reformat their computer and reinstall from scratch which really isn't a solution.

brian.resnik
08-31-2010, 12:00 PM
Almighty1,

When I talk about apps2sd in this case, I'm referring to the version that comes in some custom ROMs, not the Froyo version.

I agree completely. Wiping your device is NOT something we like suggesting. As for capturing debugging logs, we've got a ton of them for this issue, but we can always use more :) Check out this link (http://forum.swype.com/showthread.php?994-HOW-TO-Get-BETA-for-Android-troubleshooting-help#LOGCAT) for information on gathering and submitting the information.

Almighty1
08-31-2010, 12:36 PM
Thanks for the clarification on the apps2sd as I know it's a term used by Cyanogenmod originally which basically was to move the apps to SD but Froyo also added that function.

I just did the logcat so hopefully this helps:

http://pastebin.com/XtmbXbVb

brian.resnik
08-31-2010, 12:55 PM
Ahhh. Looks like you're running into an Out of Memory problem.

It looks like you have some runaway processes in your logs there. kcryptd, loop#, and kcryptd_io are duplicated over 9000 (http://www.google.com/url?url=http://www.youtube.com/watch%3Fv%3DSiMHTK15Pik&rct=j&sa=X&ei=jmx9TKXRB8KclgeK9fDrCw&ved=0CBoQuAIwAA&q=over+9000&usg=AFQjCNEPjKCWY2ny8Wr0GRaNqZOzkqeKYQ) times. Try rebooting, and see if you can figure out what process is giving you those dupes. Also, you can try enabling swap to gain some extra memory.

Almighty1
08-31-2010, 4:45 PM
Thanks Brian, I'm sure to solve the problem, all I need is to enable swap but I thought on the Motorola Droid 1, the swap partition isn't even there unless you completely reformat the SD card? I already rebooted and haven't been able to figure out what's causing the dupes yet. Ofcourse it doesn't help that with froyo, a lot of the tasks can't be killed even with a task manager so there is some sort of memory leak except not sure where it's coming from.

brian.resnik
08-31-2010, 4:55 PM
The application on the Android Market called SWAPPER allows you to create a file-based SWAP. It's slow as heck but it should get the job done :)

Happy Keller
09-01-2010, 10:24 AM
When posting, please include the following information:
Device Make/Model - MyTouch 3G (original)
Wireless Carrier - T-Mobile
Android Version (2.2 FroYo? 1.6 Donut?) - 2.2
ROM Version (Stock? Custom ROM?) - CyanogenMod 6.0.0-DS
Are you using APPS2SD? - No
Full text of the error message you are receiving (if you are not receiving an error, describe the problem in as much detail as possible)
What troubleshooting steps have you completed so far? - Swype is already installed. Download failed.
Are you a ROOT user? (If you don't know what this means then the answer is "no") - Yes

I have tried everything suggested with no luck (remove widgets, swap file, etc.)

Any help you could give would be appreciated! Hopefully this will get found/fixed prior to Swype being available for purchase.

Thanks,

Hap!

brian.resnik
09-01-2010, 10:39 AM
Happy Keller,

Please provide some debugging logs using the link I provided earlier in this thread. Thanks!

Almighty1
09-01-2010, 1:36 PM
The application on the Android Market called SWAPPER allows you to create a file-based SWAP. It's slow as heck but it should get the job done :)

I noticed there is Swapper and then there is Swapper 2 from 2 different authors, there is a warning that it will shorten the life of the SD card.

brian.resnik
09-01-2010, 1:39 PM
Either one should work, and yes, leaving SWAP enabled for long durations will shorten the life of your SDcard. SDcards have a set number of read/write operations they can perform, and using your SDcard to store a SWAP file drastically increases the number of read/write functions that occur on the card. Fortunately, you'll only need to enable SWAP for the duration of the installation procedure. Once Swype is installed and working properly you can disable Swapper completely.

Almighty1
09-01-2010, 2:50 PM
Hi Brian:

I guess swapfiles always will have high I/O so I wonder if having apps run from SD would have a bad effect on the SD card too since froyo 2.2 has grown so large that apps will install to SD or Titanium Backup's Move to SD function comes in handy as otherwise, I will get the low storage notification. Speaking of which, I always use Titanium Backup to move both Swype Installer and Swype to SD except on every restart, the input method will revert to the default Motorola DROID keyboard until I select Swype for the input method again. Hopefully in the newer versions of Swype, there will be a way for Swype to remain as the input method while installed to SD.

In any case, I still haven't used the Swapper application yet since I have been reading basically all the threads since your response yesterday and tried this again:

The first one I read is this:
http://forum.swype.com/showthread.php?1017-Problem-with-Swype-Beta-and-Froyo-on-restart&p=5794#post5794

Where you mentioned to kill everything in Running Applications and Running Services which is what I did and your note:
"note: yes, this is a huge pain. The memory problem is something we're looking at fixing. Basically the installer needs to run as a service instead of an app to prevent it from being shut down by the memory manager"

So the memory issue is a known problem so I attempted to reinstall by downloading Swype Installer and proceed with the rest of the process, only to be stuck at the same area when I noticed that Lookout started running sometime after Swype Installer was installed so I killed Lookout in Running Service and ofcourse it ran again after step #15 in the installation guide. So I uninstalled Lookout because of this post from a fellow Swyper:

http://forum.swype.com/showthread.php?1003-Swype-not-installing-after-2.2-Update&p=5729#post5729

After that, I unchecked Swype as the input method and just ran the Swype Installer again from applications without uninstalling the Swype installer and then did the Start Download and this time after I click Done on step #15 in the installation guide, it says Registering Swype and then it says Swype has been installed successfully and to enable Swype as a input method so it looks like Lookout is the one that is preventing Swype from installating. I looked in Titanium Backup and it appears that the previous Lookout versions didn't have problems as my last Swype install was on August 7, 2010 and Lookout came out with a new version on August 24, 2010 which is version 4.10.1 so maybe for everyone else, it's Lookout that's causing the problem as well. If so, then it might be wise for Swype to contact Lookout to figure something out. Other than that, the only thing that seems weird is in the Swype Settings screen, Audio feedback is greyed out and already has a selected checkmark, is it supposed to be that way? Thanks!

brian.resnik
09-01-2010, 3:49 PM
Glad to hear you got things working, Almighty1! I'll definitely get in touch with the Lookout people and see what we can come up with.

It should be noted that you should NOT run Swype itself from the SDcard, as Swype's boot-time load procedure requires access to certain functions that won't be available if Swype is loaded AFTER the SDcard is mounted. Please keep Swype on internal storage, so that boot-up with Swype enabled goes off witihout a hitch.

The audio-feedback button being greyed out and checked is something we've seen on a few beta installs, and seems to be related to various OS settings. We're not sure exactly WHY this happens, but it only happens in the beta, and only in certain circumstances, with certain devices.

Almighty1
09-01-2010, 4:13 PM
Yesterday, I tried disabling the antivirus portion of Lookout and it didn't make a difference since sometimes the AV program can stop something from running so perhaps you should mention Lookout in the FAQ too so you have all bases covered.

As far as Swype, I would run it on internal except the problem is that the Motorola DROID 1 with froyo 2.2 FRG22/FRG22D builds are 12MB+ bigger than the versions before so it will trigger that Low Storage alert which will not allow me to install/update apps and to reclaim space, I am moving all large apps to SD as the smaller apps being moved won't really help in terms of turning that indicator off. I sure hope the auido is not on since I don't want to be heard when typing. :) Any ideas what circumstances cause it though?

brian.resnik
09-01-2010, 4:17 PM
We're not sure. If you'd like to help us capture some more comprehensive logs, you're welcome to take a run at installing the Android SDK on your PC and using the Android Debug Bridge to capture system logs from bootup onward directly to a file.

I'd like to get in touch with Lookout first before I post anything to the FAQ. If it's something they can fix with a simple update, that'd be best :)

Almighty1
09-01-2010, 4:28 PM
I figured it out except you beat me in replying :), to get the Audio Feedback button to be available, it has to do with Settings -> Sound -> Audible Touch Tones under the Feedback section. Good point about getting in touch with the Lookout people first since maybe it had to do with that article in the Wall Street Journal they had that claimed a lot of apps were trojans but I'm sure others who have the installation failed problem might read about the Lookout issue here and try it first before proceeding further. :)

migr12368319
09-03-2010, 7:35 PM
I've got this same problem.

Device Make/Model - Motorola Droid (the original one)
Wireless Carrier - Verizon Wireless
Android Version (2.2 FroYo? 1.6 Donut?) - 2.2 Build FRG22D
ROM Version (Stock? Custom ROM?) - Stock, I guess
Full text of the error message you are receiving (if you are not receiving an error, describe the problem in as much detail as possible)
What troubleshooting steps have you completed so far? - Swype is already installed. Download failed.
Are you a ROOT user? (If you don't know what this means then the answer is "no") - No

Swype says that the download failed, but Swype is available as a keyboard to select. However, it doesn't work when selected as no words come up when you Swype. I've uninstalled and reinstalled many times, following all the troubleshooting directions.

Log is here:

http://pastebin.com/mxtC58Da

migr12368319
09-03-2010, 7:51 PM
Wouldn't you know it. Once I go to the trouble of posting my error, it goes away.
Since I noticed that Swype was an option, although not selected, in my Keyboard settings, I decided to select and unselect it, as mentioned in the Troubleshooting steps somewhere. I then did an uninstall and reinstall. And, it worked without a problem! I am now Swyping again!

mybrokengoldwing
09-09-2010, 7:06 PM
ok si i uninstalled everything and tryed again, and it still said the same thing, and then i took off all my widgets and still the same thing, did what migr12368319 said, and still the same thing.even used the task manager! lol. i've had it installed before, but cant figure out why its doin this now. but it's killin me! lol. i've tried everything i can think of.im runnin
mod:sparkco mod, based of cm6 stable
phone:g1
firmware:2.2(froyo)

link to error log comin soon! lol

GOT IT!
http://pastebin.com/9CGs5Tsj

09-09 20:11:25.075 I/ActivityManager( 224): Process com.swype.android.installer (pid 1157) has died... R.I.P. swype.. :( lol

brian.resnik
09-10-2010, 11:39 AM
Looks like you're having out-of-memory issues. Please check the "Known Issues" thread for information on how to enable SWAP to try to work around this issue. Since you're using a CM6 based build, you can also try enabling COMPCACHE.

Porch Song
09-12-2010, 12:54 PM
I tried everything to no avail until I accidently hit the back button on the screen after you hit install and BEFORE you hit done. When I hit the back button, it went to the register screen and then it enabled. EVERY other time I made it to the "Done" screen and choose the only option of "Done," I would get the "Download Failed. Swype is already installed." message.

Trust me when I said I tried EVERY option available and must have tried to install swype about 20 times with various configs and widget kills, and swap files, and killed processes, but none of them worked until I hit back button instead of "done". Hope this helps others.

ErocETC
09-12-2010, 1:47 PM
I tried everything until I did what Porch Song accidentally did, and it worked for me as well!
If you hit the back key instead of clicking "Done," it will register and continue to enabling it like it should. Well done!!

Droid 1
Rooted with Bugless Beast v4

mpenda
09-12-2010, 3:59 PM
Fantastic find!! Porch song you da bomb!! I tried everything over and over, reboots, battery pulls, emptying browser caches, etc., etc., etc.
This trick fixed it beautifully!!
Thanks so much for posting it!!

jkrell
09-12-2010, 5:29 PM
I tried everything to no avail until I accidently hit the back button on the screen after you hit install and BEFORE you hit done. When I hit the back button, it went to the register screen and then it enabled. EVERY other time I made it to the "Done" screen and choose the only option of "Done," I would get the "Download Failed. Swype is already installed." message.

Trust me when I said I tried EVERY option available and must have tried to install swype about 20 times with various configs and widget kills, and swap files, and killed processes, but none of them worked until I hit back button instead of "done". Hope this helps others.

Porch Song, thanks -- that worked like a charm! I've posted your solution to a couple different threads here, hoping to help others here, but wanted to say thanks to you for "accidentally" discovering a fix!

GirLuvsDroid
09-12-2010, 6:43 PM
This just goes to show you how every Droid is different! I tried all the troubleshooting steps for installing Swype many times, and also used both the "Done" key and the "Back" key after Swype installed and got the error message without getting to the registration process every time. The only thing that worked for me was installing Swapper2 and temporarily enabling swap.

praveen_harik
09-13-2010, 5:40 AM
I too got the error "Swype is already installed.. " on my Nexus One (Froyo, Build: FRF91) with the September Beta release of Swype.
Read in one of the threads about uninstalling TasKiller and retrying, I did the same and the installation went fine, Swype works perfectly now :)

matrod
09-13-2010, 6:14 AM
I've the same problem as everyone here, and have had it for a few months/ROM versions

Device Make/Model - TMobile G1
Android Version - 2.2
ROM Version - Cyanogenmod 6.0
Are you using APPS2SD? - Froyo-style

I tried the workaround posted here but it did no good. http://forum.swype.com/showthread.php?993-KNOWN-BETA-for-Android-ISSUES-Please-read-before-posting-%28UPDATE-9-12-10%29

GirLuvsDroid
09-13-2010, 8:06 AM
I've the same problem as everyone here, and have had it for a few months/ROM versions

Device Make/Model - TMobile G1
Android Version - 2.2
ROM Version - Cyanogenmod 6.0
Are you using APPS2SD? - Froyo-style

I tried the workaround posted here but it did no good. http://forum.swype.com/showthread.php?993-KNOWN-BETA-for-Android-ISSUES-Please-read-before-posting-%28UPDATE-9-12-10%29

Did you also try downloading Swapper2 and temporarily enabling swap before attempting the Swype install? That was the only thing that worked for me.

jordob
09-13-2010, 9:00 AM
Device Make/Model - MyTouch 3G (original)
Wireless Carrier - T-Mobile
Android Version (2.2 FroYo? 1.6 Donut?) - 1.6
ROM Version (Stock? Custom ROM?) - stock
Full text of the error message you are receiving (if you are not receiving an error, describe the problem in as much detail as possible) - After installing swype and clicking done, get message "Swype is already installed. Download failed". Also still see swype as an input option but get message "This version of swype is not configured for you device"
What troubleshooting steps have you completed so far? - Uninstalled and reinstalled numerous times verifying uninstall and delete with multiple apps. I've tried suggestions from other users such as turning off Lookout and hitting the back button rather than done on the application installed screen to no avail. I won't however factory reset my phone in order to use swype.
Are you a ROOT user? (If you don't know what this means then the answer is "no") - No

*UPDATE*
After trying all of the suggestions above and below I still could not install. I then realized I had other non-stock keyboards installed; Thick Buttons and HTC Touch Input. I uninstalled those and tried one more time and swype installed without any issues.

rcr484
09-13-2010, 2:28 PM
This is precisely what worked for me. My one difference was backing out after the install and not hitting "done".

Minor note to developers: while I'm able to select a language now I still have the sound option greyed out.

Thanks, Swype.

Just an FYI in case it might help someone else. I tried no fewer than ten times yesterday and today to install Swype again after I had to do a reset on my phone. Removed ALL traces of Swype on my phone (using Astro to search), uninstalled it one way/checked that it uninstalled via another way; downloaded the newest install link. Followed the install directions here on Swype's website. NO GOOD....

This is the only thing I did differently this time as opposed to the other 9-10 attempts. I already had UNKNOWN SOURCES (allow install) checked so I had just been trying to install per directions except for that part. THIS LAST TIME, I decided to start with that UNCHECKED, and follow the install directions to the letter. It gives you an option to check that Unknown Sources option as you go thru the instructions. BINGO, this time it worked.

Maybe that's why it worked. It was the only thing I did differently.

skeezicks
09-13-2010, 5:23 PM

Holy Moly, Porch Song, that's amazing. Man, do I hope the Swype admins are monitoring this thread. I, too, tried nearly everying I could think of to get this current version to install, but nothing worked. Then, following your directions (press the BACK key after pressing INSTALL, but without pressing DONE) works perfectly. Now I can finally move on to evaluating this current version of Swype. I certainly hope it's not as buggy as the install procedure, though!

imhimh
09-14-2010, 12:54 PM
Can't install either.

Device Make/Model - Magic 32B
Wireless Carrier - Vodafone
Android Version - 2.2
ROM Version (Stock? Custom ROM?) - CM6
Are you using APPS2SD? - Froyo-style only
Full text of the error message you are receiving - After installing swype and clicking done, get message "Swype is already installed. Download failed".
What troubleshooting steps have you completed so far? - Multiple attempts. Reboots and turning off services, turned of and on the JIT compiler, keep home in memory etc. Used swapper2. Pressed back instead of done etc.
Are you a ROOT user? - Yes

Shame to see such a good app ruined by a convoluted install process.

brian.resnik
09-14-2010, 7:27 PM
First, an explanation: So I want to go on record as to what is causing the vast majority of problems people are having installing. Currently, the Swype-Installer runs as an application. At a recent Google I/O conference, Google engineers discussed how installers should be created as services, so they get higher resource priority. Since this time, our developers have been working overtime. We're still a small company (under 50) and have been on a lot of the major Android devices released in the past 3 months, with even more to come. We're actively working to bring in additional developers, and the installer issue is definitely an important task on the list of work that needs to be done.

And we're definitely monitoring the threads :) We'll take a look at what happens at that point in the install process and see if there's not something hinky happening.

Next, the final word on getting Swype installed if you're having Already Installed or Configured for another device errors: Follow these steps precisely and sadly if it still doesn't work, you've either got an application conflict, or other configuration problem that will simply not allow you to install the beta without factory resetting your device, until we get the install fixed. Sorry, but this is a beta folks. Swype was never designed to be installed this way.

Make sure Swype and SwypeInstaller are both INSTALLED (even if showing errors when trying to use)
Go to Settings -> Language & Keyboard and UNCHECK Swype.
Go to Settings -> Applications -> Swype Press CLEAR DATA. Then press UNINSTALL.
Go to Settings -> Applications -> SwypeInstaller Press CLEAR DATA. Then press UNINSTALL.
Delete everything from the download directory on your SDcard
Download, install, and configure the application SWAPPER2 from the Android Market (it's free!)
Reboot your device.
Force Stop any non-system background tasks running in Settings -> Applications -> Running (tab)
Install the update.

imhimh
09-15-2010, 4:18 AM
[b]Next, the final word on getting Swype installed if you're having Already Installed or Configured for another device errors: Follow these steps precisely and sadly if it still doesn't work, you've either got an application conflict, or other configuration problem that will simply not allow you to install the beta without factory resetting your device, until we get the install fixed. Sorry, but this is a beta folks. Swype was never designed to be installed this way.

Make sure Swype and SwypeInstaller are both INSTALLED (even if showing errors when trying to use)
Go to Settings -> Language & Keyboard and [color="red"]UNCHECK Swype.
Go to Settings -> Applications -> SwypeInstaller Press CLEAR DATA. Then press UNINSTALL.
Download, install, and configure the application SWAPPER2 from the Android Market (it's free!)
Reboot your device.
Force Stop any non-system background tasks running in Settings -> Applications -> Running (tab)
Install the update.

Just followed the above and it's worked. The installer did force close at the end of the process after registering, but on going into Language & Keyboard the Swype option was present and worked once turned on. Unfortunately I did this at work so didn't get a logcat to catch the FC, sorry.

The only real difference from what I'd tried before was the Clear data step.

Thank you Brian.

Reji007
09-16-2010, 3:24 AM
First, an explanation: So I want to go on record as to what is causing the vast majority of problems people are having installing. Currently, the Swype-Installer runs as an application. At a recent Google I/O conference, Google engineers discussed how installers should be created as services, so they get higher resource priority. Since this time, our developers have been working overtime. We're still a small company (under 50) and have been on a lot of the major Android devices released in the past 3 months, with even more to come. We're actively working to bring in additional developers, and the installer issue is definitely an important task on the list of work that needs to be done.

And we're definitely monitoring the threads :) We'll take a look at what happens at that point in the install process and see if there's not something hinky happening.

Next, the final word on getting Swype installed if you're having Already Installed or Configured for another device errors: Follow these steps precisely and sadly if it still doesn't work, you've either got an application conflict, or other configuration problem that will simply not allow you to install the beta without factory resetting your device, until we get the install fixed. Sorry, but this is a beta folks. Swype was never designed to be installed this way.

Go to Settings -> Language & Keyboard and UNCHECK Swype.
Reboot your device.
Install the update.

So I tried all the above (as well as other ideas mentioned in other posts) and nothing seems to work:
Device Make/Mode: MyTouch 3G
Wireless Carrier: Tmobile
Android Version (2.2 FroYo? 1.6 Donut?): 2.2 Froyo
ROM Version (Stock? Custom ROM?): CM6
Are you using APPS2SD? No
Full text of the error message you are receiving (if you are not receiving an error, describe the problem in as much detail as possible): Swpye cannot be installed because it already is installed, please download again
What troubleshooting steps have you completed so far?: I’ve read through various posts and tried many things that people suggested (turning on SWAP, totally removing the software as per latest instructions, hitting back button instead of clicking DONE, force stopping apps, etc)
Are you a ROOT user? (If you don't know what this means then the answer is "no"): YES
Logcat: http://pastebin.com/jRqnLeeH

aldenpotamus
09-17-2010, 11:26 AM
So I tried everything listed here to no avail... however I did just find a solution that worked for me...

No credit goes to me the solution I found was located at:
http://swype.uservoice.com/forums/55960-swype-for-android-beta/suggestions/816035-new-beta-fails-swype-configured-for-another-devi

The critical bits being:

Uninstall all things to do with Swype.
Reboot phone.
Download the installer.
Reboot the phone.
Run the installer.
Reboot the phone.

I followed the uninstall step in this thread, eg... unclick swype then uninstall and cleardata on the installed and then the keyboard itself.

Hope this helps someone!

SteveTheOcean
09-19-2010, 8:45 AM
I tried the original suggestion, unchecking "allow unkonwn sources". It didn't help.

The Dolphin browser was set as a default for the installer download. I unistalled Dolphin, unchecked "unknown sources" again, powered down and rebooted.

This time the installation succeeded (prompting for, and using, the default Browser).

It worked!

I'm curious. If I do a factory reset do all my existing applications get reinstalled (i.e. are they backed up and restored somewhere - hopefully in the cloud)?

Bob Denny
09-22-2010, 8:56 PM
Brian --

With respect to:

Currently, the Swype-Installer runs as an application. At a recent Google I/O conference, Google engineers discussed how installers should be created as services, so they get higher resource priority.
The separate installer is solely for copy protection as far as I can tell. No other keyboard/IME that I know of needs a separate installer, even those that are paid apps.

I have used successfully a couple of "bandit" Swype keyboards, one which has the #1 feature request, a Voice/Mic button. Both install like any other app/IME, no installer needed. These are now expired, and I felt funny using them anyway. I just wanted to see for myself :-) I am on the Sept beta now.

Are you guys shooting yourselves in the foot with this copy protection scheme? It's worth considering the damage being done by the problems, versus the "damage" that might be done by selling Swype in the Market and dealing with the support issues. At least you'd be adding to your revenue!

dethduck
10-17-2010, 7:50 AM

Worked for me, too.

I take that back, after a few
Days swype started lagging and
now i get the "designed for another device" error
reducing it back to a tap keyboard.

Merlot myTouch 3G
FRG83B (2.2.1) Stock
T-Mobile

Icculus760
11-15-2010, 5:40 AM
Motorola Droid 1 - Verizon Wireless - Rooted Android 2.2.1 - various ROMs (Ultimate Droid 8, MIUI6.0, Liquid Frozen Yogurt 1.95)
No APPS2SD - Yes Swapper2 turned "on" -
Logcat @ http://pastebin.com/hthAvfx5

Steps
Unchecked Swype in settings/keyboard
In settings/application, cleared data from Swype
Uninstalled Swype
In settings/application, cleared data from Swype Installer
Uninstalled Swype Installer
Found no com.swype items (either Swype itself or the installer) in /data/data or /data/app
Found no /system/lib/libSwypeCore.so file
Deleted all downloaded files in /sdcard/downloads
Reboot
Stopped non-essential running services
Confirmed no Swype in /data/data, /data/app, or settings/keyboard
Followed my email link & installed Swype Installer (version 1.1.14120)
Swype Installer installed properly
Swype.apk installed through the Swype installer
Post instal, received "Swype is already installed. Please uninstall and try again" error message

Icculus760
11-15-2010, 4:06 PM
I removed me quoting myself in the last post

So the ONLY thing I did differently the 5th time around was to download the installer from Android's default browser and not a third-party one. I have no idea how or why that made any difference, but everything is working normally again.

Icculus760
11-28-2010, 4:00 PM
We're still a small company (under 50) and have been on a lot of the major Android devices released in the past 3 months, with even more to come. We're actively working to bring in additional developers, and the installer issue is definitely an important task on the list of work that needs to be done. And we're definitely monitoring the threads :)

Hey Brian I have to ask - I haven't used Swype in 2 months :D
The Swype folks haven't forgotten about the beta installer issue, right?

Definitely not asking WHEN, just want to make sure it's still being supported
Thanks for all your help here (okay - also on the old forum too :))