PDA

View Full Version : Use built-in Android Dictionary

migr2871365
04-10-2010, 12:50 PM
Instead of keeping the internal Swype dictionary, just use the Android dictionary system. This will allow you to reinstall Swype without having to add your custom defined words again.

I don't like having to re-enter all my custom defined words every time I reinstall Swype.

migr2871365
04-10-2010, 2:12 PM
It also adds the advantage of switching keyboards without having to input your custom words again for each different keyboard you may be using.

spbrereton
04-12-2010, 10:35 AM
I've left this comment in a couple of related threads and I'll do so here since I don't have any more votes left..

I agree. Especially since I've had to do it three times already. Once when I upgraded to the official beta, once when I was trying to fix the configured for another device bug and once when Verizon pushed me an OS update (and they were very insistent about it - it's not like I could choose not to install the update, or that swype would have worked post-up date... It's getting lame to keep entering words into a dictionary.

caulif
04-12-2010, 3:10 PM
It's not ideal, but if your phone's rooted shouldn't you be able to backup Swype's dictionary either manually or via an app such as Titanium Backup, then restore after the update or whatever?

migr12337169
06-16-2010, 12:14 PM
Is there anything that's possibly stopping Swype from implementing this?

migr12351097
06-17-2010, 11:53 AM
I wonder whether this new beta is doing this already?? I'm convinced it 'knows' words that it shouldn't....

migr12379131
06-19-2010, 8:25 PM
At this point, I am having a lot of trouble with junk words, garbage words I have inserted into the dictionary by mistake. Especially passwords that I mistype because I can't see them. They go into the dictionary, and now it's getting harder and harder to type passwords because you can't even see the wrong word. I typed something like NHDRS23, and I know I mistakenly typed something close to that, and now it is in the database!!! there should be a way to edit the dictionary and manually being able to delete junk words. the more we use it, the more garbage collection we would need to perform in the dictionary to keep it useful. If we don't delete those words, over the time we'll have more and more and the dictionary will be 20% or more garbage. We need a way to manually edit it to do some housekeeping. The try and fail method currently implemented to delete words would not be enough.

bhall238
06-22-2010, 1:05 PM
I agree, I would like the option to import the dictionary I've already created into the Swype one.

migr12554849
06-30-2010, 3:54 PM
+1 for using the android dictionary if possible. Also, please make it easy to find whichever dictionary you use in order to make edits.

migr13816029
08-05-2010, 6:47 PM
right, makes sense. However having it optional could also be a solution

Nate Piechocki
08-15-2010, 11:07 AM
Almost as troublesome is the "Hidden Word" activity window that pops up anytime that you've typed something that had a user-defined word above it in the choices. It was worth telling me this the very first time I did it, but EVERY time? It's an incredible nuisance.

spbrereton
09-01-2010, 11:12 AM
I've left this comment in a couple of related threads and I'll do so here since I don't have any more votes left..

I agree. Especially since I've had to do it three times already. Once when I upgraded to the official beta, once when I was trying to fix the configured for another device bug and once when Verizon pushed me an OS update (and they were very insistent about it - it's not like I could choose not to install the update, or that swype would have worked post-up date... It's getting lame to keep entering words into a dictionary.

Still no movement on this - and the number of times I've done this has now gone up to 6 (rooting 2.1 and installing 2 2.2 ROMS..)

I've taken to creating a text-file with the most common words and numerical combinations because fortunately you can add more than one word to the dictionary at a time (phew! - you have no idea how happy I was to find that out) - but it's still a PITA...

brian.resnik
09-01-2010, 11:20 AM
This is something we'd like to include in a future update, but at this point we don't have an ETA available. We know it's a PITA. It bugs us too :D