PDA

View Full Version : Option to have arrows in keyboard

migr668256
06-08-2010, 6:38 PM
For phones that don't have a trackball, there's no way to navigate between text fields with Swype open. There's also no way to navigate between suggested words without moving my thumb to the middle of the screen to pick one. This may sound trivial, but on a 4.3" glass screen like the EVO's, it's pretty important.

migr668256
06-08-2010, 6:51 PM
Perhaps the bottom row could be [sym]zxcvbnm,.[arrows][space]. Swiping on the arrows button would dispatch a keyboard event for the proper direction. Tapping or long-pressing it would spawn a pop-over with the 4 arrow choices inside.

Icculus760
06-08-2010, 10:46 PM
Have you tried swype-ing from the swype key (used to bring up alternate words) to the "sym" key? It brings up a whole slew of navigation options and I *think* it does what you're both looking for.

migr12357361
06-17-2010, 6:24 PM
Nice! Swype to Sym works great. I have big fingers, and selecting a letter in the middle of a word is hard to do via pecking. I wonder if the Iphone magnifying glass trick can be copied or bettered in some way? Hold and move around to magnify and move the cursor, let go to choose your spot exactly?!

migr12641859
07-04-2010, 12:30 PM
I use Swype on my EVO. Without arrow keys it's impossible to backtrack and edit the entry. The only way to edit is to use the backspace key. This is high on my wish list.

liquidarmz
07-05-2010, 5:25 PM
I agree that no arrows or form of navigation of the cursor, or between text fields is the biggest detraction from an almost perfect app. On my previously owned Hero I had use of the trackball, however on my currently owned EVO I am finding it hard to quickly navigate through text fields and move the cursor to change errors swiftly. BTW I consider this the best and most useful app on my phone and I love the fact that the Devs comment in the forums and take our thoughts into consideration. I hope to continue to beta test this app and watch it reach its full potential.

migr13265895
07-26-2010, 2:30 PM
Droid X - love the application - would love a couple of enhancements - 1. Navigation keys and 2. The ability to paste from the clipboard. I am able to quickly add to the the clipboard (holding) - I am just not smart enough to retrieve/select/paste from the clipboard (yet).

negativefx
07-30-2010, 12:20 AM
Agreed! I find myself having to tap three or four times to get the cursor to go where I want it to. Arrows would be great. Up/down aren't necessary in my opinion, but left/right would be GREATLY appreciated.

migr13712189
08-02-2010, 6:49 PM
Yes, the op also missed that it really sucks trying to move a few letters forward or back on the evo. Its hard to exact tap between them and it comes up all the time.. Thanks for a great product, glad to see the voice button coming.. the stock evo keyboard is a great example of functional simplicity in the placement of navigation buttons, if those of us without trackballs/pads had them optionally itd make swype perfect..almost.

migr8626353
08-02-2010, 6:54 PM
Swype from the swype key to the sym key and you get arrows and editing things...enjoy

rick
08-29-2010, 12:09 PM
Swype provides an amazing editing keyboard with arrows keys. Look in the help under "Editing keyboard." It is easy to call up and works great. But you have to know it is there.

Newend
09-03-2010, 7:10 PM
The swype to sum tip is awesome, thanks.

It would be even better if it had a second level for control and tab keys for ConnectBot users.

alex17
03-13-2011, 2:45 PM
The swype-to-sym key is a really good *2nd* choice, at least for me. When I'm swyping along, the swype guidance is "just type and then go back and correct later." Ok, I do that, and there are tons and tons of errors. Now I have to manually select them, I never get the cursor right, and now swype-sym on each one and then go back to kb to retype. It's a burden, even though it's *much* better than trying to get cursor in right place w/ just my fingers. So: I strongly support the suggestion to add something like iphone's long-press-to-see-magnifying-glass method...even long-press to see cursor (vertical bar, caret, anything that shows where it really is), so long as the indicator is not hidden under the finger doing the pressing, that's where iphone's method is really elegant.

luloutoo
03-15-2011, 6:03 AM
I've enjoyed using swype, but really miss the arrows that allow me to navigate the text so that I can go back and fix mistakes that my old keyboard had. Clicking on the screen to get the cursor in the correct place to make a change rarely works the way I want it to.

jdmeer
03-16-2011, 8:08 AM
Use your phones trackpad if it has one otherwise swype from the swype key to the sym key. The tutorial videos are awesome for teaching numerous neat tricks like that!

Sent from my NookColor using Tapatalk

brian.resnik
03-16-2011, 9:27 AM
As jdmeer suggested, swyping from the SWYPE key to the SYM key will give you access to our editing layer with lots of great features including arrow keys. Check out http://swype.com/tips-tricks.html for more great power-user stuff!

hltmaguire
05-11-2011, 2:26 AM
I definitely agree to the addition of arrow keys.In fact that is how I found this exact thread.Please add this. I do love the app otherwise.

jamorford
08-24-2011, 7:32 AM
I agree this should be added...it would be greatly appreciated.

yurkennis
08-24-2011, 2:38 PM
To Swype team: consider how A.I.Type keyboard done that: long-tap on J/B/N/M to single-time use of arrow. No need to switch change keyboard layout and back if you only need to move a character or two from the cursor.

dodongitri
08-25-2011, 4:23 AM
i don't see the need for this though... either the swyped word is correct or totally wrong. i never really ran into the situation where, i NEED to peck at this one letter to get it right. i usually just re-swype the whole thing.

yurkennis
08-25-2011, 5:31 AM
i never really ran into the situation where, i NEED to peck at this one letter to get it right. i usually just re-swype the whole thing.
But I do, one to several times per paragraph entered - as even now it's easier to correct a single letter than to re-swype a whole word, especially when a word is quite long. What am I doing wrong?

dodongitri
08-25-2011, 6:18 AM
But I do, one to several times per paragraph entered - as even now it's easier to correct a single letter than to re-swype a whole word, especially when a word is quite long. What am I doing wrong?

i guess. i usually don't type anything nearly considered a paragraph on my phone though. if that's the case, i would at least hope it's some gesture based thing, rather than ANOTHER dedicated button. :)

rob.boehm
08-26-2011, 1:10 PM
I use to be a proponent of adding this functionality; however with the cursor reticule added in Gingerbread, I really don't see a use for this anymore. I will point out however that Swype has always had arrow keys available in the edit layer of the keyboard. You can access the edit layer by tracing from the Swype key to the Sym key.

PhilDX
08-29-2011, 5:13 PM
I use to be a proponent of adding this functionality; however with the cursor reticule added in Gingerbread, I really don't see a use for this anymore. I will point out however that Swype has always had arrow keys available in the edit layer of the keyboard. You can access the edit layer by tracing from the Swype key to the Sym key.

Swype is awesome as is, and the edit layer is great but there's nothing better than having a thin row of arrow keys at the bottom of the portrait keyboard, it's just faster, i configure my other keyboards like that, would be an awesome option for folks like me who dislike the gingerbread reticule thingy.

yurkennis
08-30-2011, 2:34 PM
with the cursor reticule added in Gingerbread, I really don't see a use for this anymore.

What's that reticule? Is it available for HTC Android 2.3.3-updated phones?

Swype has always had arrow keys available in the edit layer of the keyboard.

As for me, it's much faster to tap-and-hold on a word to position precisely than to invoke a separate layout and hiding it back (and risking to occasionally swype a word in the process) - but not anything near the hardware optical joystick I used to have at the original HTC Desire. Just my 2 cents, not very constructive this time.

rob.boehm
08-31-2011, 6:33 PM
All versions of Gingerbread have the text selection cursors by default on whatever text is currently highlighted. To my knowledge, there is no way to turn them off.

Example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9vdqfVIcuJA&t=0m31s

yurkennis
09-01-2011, 11:40 AM
Rob, maybe I missed something in the video--but what I see, specifically from the timestamp you linked to, is selection of fragment of text, for cut/copy purposes. Not sure what other posters here meant--but I referred specifically do arrows for a different purpose. Namely, to move cursor several characters to the left (and sometimes back to the right) to fix a mis-swyped word--either close to the end of swyped text, or close to the place in the middle where I placed a cursor with a not-too-precise tap. And for the latter purposes, existing Gingerbread functionality doesn't seem to help at all.

Have I misunderstood your point?

PhilDX
09-01-2011, 7:32 PM
...Not sure what other posters here meant--but I referred specifically do arrows for a different purpose. Namely, to move cursor several characters to the left (and sometimes back to the right) to fix a mis-swyped word...

this is the point i intended to make as well - the option of displaying arrow keys at the bottom of the main portrait keyboard would allow for very fast and precise text editing (i find that it takes many tries to position a cursor within existing text using the Gingerbread reticule). sorry if i added confusion to the discussion.

dlorde
05-23-2012, 6:45 AM
Rob, maybe I missed something in the video--but what I see, specifically from the timestamp you linked to, is selection of fragment of text, for cut/copy purposes. Not sure what other posters here meant--but I referred specifically do arrows for a different purpose. Namely, to move cursor several characters to the left (and sometimes back to the right) to fix a mis-swyped word--either close to the end of swyped text, or close to the place in the middle where I placed a cursor with a not-too-precise tap. And for the latter purposes, existing Gingerbread functionality doesn't seem to help at all.

Have I misunderstood your point?

You can use a single reticule to move the cursor without selecting a chunk of text, by just tapping close to where you want the cursor. When the reticule appears, press and hold it for a magnified section of the text and slide your finger on the reticule to move the cursor - much like the iPhone system. Works fine for me - although I would prefer left & right cursor keys on the main keyboard.

yurkennis
05-23-2012, 6:56 AM
You can use a single reticule to move the cursor without selecting a chunk of text, by just tapping close to where you want the cursor. When the reticule appears, press and hold it for a magnified section of the text and slide your finger on the reticule to move the cursor - much like the iPhone system. Works fine for me - although I would prefer left & right cursor keys on the main keyboard.

What version of Swype / Android do you refer to? I have some kind of reticule -- but not any magnification.
I have official Android 4.0.3 on SGS2 with pre-installed Swype 3.26.92.38235.8444.I9100.

dlorde
05-23-2012, 8:43 AM
What version of Swype / Android do you refer to? I have some kind of reticule -- but not any magnification.
I have official Android 4.0.3 on SGS2 with pre-installed Swype 3.26.92.38235.8444.I9100.

I'm using Swype 3.26.92.39125 (downloaded & installed last weekend) on Android 4.0.3 on a Vodafone HTC One S.

The reticule I get is a black teardrop with a green disc inside. What happens when you press and hold the reticule?

yurkennis
05-27-2012, 1:47 AM
What happens when you press and hold the reticule?

Reticule moves, but text is not magnified at all.

thnidu
05-29-2012, 10:13 AM
As jdmeer suggested, swyping from the SWYPE key to the SYM key will give you access to our editing layer with lots of great features including arrow keys. Check out http://swype.com/tips-tricks.html for more great power-user stuff!

Aha, at last!

I've gotten that screen a few times by mistake but never known how to get it on purpose. I wind up opening my Samsung Android Stratosphere's physical keyboard just to use the arrow keys.

This really is a great feature. So why isn't it mentioned in the Tips and Tricks or Tutorial?

Allen SGS2
07-06-2012, 7:05 AM
The arrow keys are very used. I think that the left and right keys can be placed at the right of the prediction line, this is over the "o" and "p" keys. The up and down arrow keys are not so necessary, these would be in the edit layer, so being only two small keys in the prediction line I believe there will be no problems with the space for the predictions.

By the way if we could be able to long press these left and right keys for home and end respectively of the actual line, this would be grate!

PhilDX
08-11-2012, 10:50 AM
i switched to SwiftKey 3 a while back because sometimes i really NEED arrow keys at the bottom of the portrait keyboard. i still miss Swype although i'm starting to get over it, but i'd probably come back if the Swype team would just add this option...

Allen SGS2
08-14-2012, 6:34 AM
i switched to SwiftKey 3 a while back because sometimes i really NEED arrow keys at the bottom of the portrait keyboard. i still miss Swype although i'm starting to get over it, but i'd probably come back if the Swype team would just add this option...

I also want this option, but I would add the functionality of making long press left key for home of the actual line, and long press right for end of the actual line.

SharpSniper2013
02-18-2013, 4:28 PM
Swype provides an amazing editing keyboard with arrows keys. Look in the help under "Editing keyboard." It is easy to call up and works great. But you have to know it is there.

greetings everyone... newbie onboard

I have been searching the threads regarding How To Open Up the Clipboard when you are typing Specially When You Have a lot of stuff on the clipboard... need help on this one please...

jarayn
02-20-2013, 7:34 PM
greetings everyone... newbie onboard

I have been searching the threads regarding How To Open Up the Clipboard when you are typing Specially When You Have a lot of stuff on the clipboard... need help on this one please...

Because this is related to arrow keys?

Arrow row would be great. Actually a fully customizable top row like Thumb keyboard would be better. Arrows, text shortcuts, home, end, copy, paste etc etc.

Puffolino
04-10-2013, 8:29 AM
Left and right cursor keys on the main keyboard would be valuable to correct typos on the fly!
Another reason: to change the cursor position with the finger does not work as accurate as needed, so the cursor needs to be shifted left or right one character.

kabhijeet.16
04-11-2013, 7:29 AM
I want to suggest that you Add arrow navigation keys & Reduce height of keys. Since most of the times, we only swype through keys, the height of keys can be reduced and arrow keys can be added in last row by reducing height of the last row easily coz it only has space bar etc.

handled_badly
04-19-2013, 8:34 PM
Presently a single flick can be used to summon the Edit keyboard, arrows and all. From Swype to Symbols.

I have seen oem copies of Swype implement this feature, but never a beta version. I'm afraid if Swype did implement this, they would probably force out on everybody without option to remove it, like they usually do.

manudoanld
06-28-2013, 3:13 AM
It is a must, the swype to sym works when you learn about it but it doesn’t make sense not to have it on the main window. Touch can only get you "so" accurate with fat fingers!

Caeper
09-02-2013, 12:12 AM
Hi there,

Just wondering if there is a possibility of you guys adding arrow keys for correcting words, spaces etc...

I try using my finger to tap on the word that i would like to correct and if i don't hit the right spot, then i try to move the arrow to the section i want to and because of my fat fingers, i never get to where i want.

I honestly think that if arrow keys were implemented, then it would be easier to tap the left arrow 2 times to move the cursor 2 spaces left etc

Please let me know if this is in the works

Thanks

Caeper

mcarver2000
09-02-2013, 6:24 AM
Depends on version you have, but gesture from the Swype key to "number pad/layer" key should work on all versions.

Cooper
09-02-2013, 6:51 AM
Yeah, arrows somewhere on the primary board would greatly improve my effective typing
Please add the option.

Verstuurd van mijn GT-I9300 met Tapatalk

Bad_Biogene
09-02-2013, 9:19 AM
Actually, I think that the swype to the «123» button works great. You have all what you need to navigate and edit your text.

The true problem, imho, is the cursor in Android. I'm not a fan of IOS but I have to admit that the cursor on the Apple OS works much better and is really accurate!

Btw Swype, can you add a «return» button on this edit panel. Not a return/smiley button but a true dedicate button. The fact is, in some apps, the return button transform in a smiley button and I cannot make a new paragraph :/

P.s.: sorry for my ugly English ^^

kevins89notch
09-02-2013, 7:04 PM
Depends on version you have, but gesture from the Swype key to "number pad/layer" key should work on all versions.

Well I'll be damned. I did NOT know this. Thanks!

Jacob.W
09-03-2013, 9:26 AM
Great Idea Caeper,

I've gone ahead and merged your thread with an existing one on the same topic.

Thanks!

blauwollf
09-14-2013, 3:20 PM
In one of the versions, there was a row of arrows above the keyboard allowing you to freely and easily back your cursor to and fro to make corrections and insertion.

BRING THAT BACK AS A PERMANENT FEATURE. it was much easier to than press and hold to get to the edit mode and go right back to typing.......IF is is still there i dont see how to turn it on.... Or at least allow it as
customizable feature that you can turn on as a preference.... When it was there i used it exclusively as i had togo back and correct or insert word on edit from typing for voice entry.... It kept my speed up becasue i cold do the edits without delay

blargle
11-15-2013, 7:09 AM
In one of the versions, there was a row of arrows above the keyboard allowing you to freely and easily back your cursor to and fro to make corrections and insertion.

BRING THAT BACK AS A PERMANENT FEATURE. it was much easier to than press and hold to get to the edit mode and go right back to typing.......IF is is still there i dont see how to turn it on.... Or at least allow it as
customizable feature that you can turn on as a preference....

Huge +1 for how important this is.

I had Swype installed, but had to replace my phone, installed Swype one hte new one, and no more nav arrows. They were one thing that made it much much better than current Android keyboards, which have built-in Swype-like behavior.

Is it a feature of the paid version? BTW, what ARE the differences between the current free and paid versions, or where would I find a list of them? Not super inclined to pay without knowing.

REALLY want those nav arrows. I just don't understand how anyone could think that removing them was better FOR USERS than making them an option.

forums
11-15-2013, 8:32 AM
Huge +1 for how important this is.

I had Swype installed, but had to replace my phone, installed Swype one hte new one, and no more nav arrows. They were one thing that made it much much better than current Android keyboards, which have built-in Swype-like behavior.

Is it a feature of the paid version? BTW, what ARE the differences between the current free and paid versions, or where would I find a list of them? Not super inclined to pay without knowing.

REALLY want those nav arrows. I just don't understand how anyone could think that removing them was better FOR USERS than making them an option.I don't remember Swype ever having navigation arrows other than the arrows available by Swyping from the Swype key to the 123/+!= key. What Swype version were you using before?

One Play Store version is a 30 day trial, and the other version is paid with no time limitation. There is no other difference.

marcgutt
11-19-2013, 9:00 AM
Maybe you like my idea:
http://forum.swype.com/showthread.php?12716-Long-pressing-the-shift-button-shows-arrow-keys

jodiwer
12-27-2013, 2:55 AM
When my Razor Maxx was repaired, I lost the Swype OEM and had to download from Google play store. But the arrow keys that were on the top disappeared. Howan I get them back?

jodiwer
12-29-2013, 5:12 AM
The OEM versions had them do why can't the download have them. At least have them as a preference. Or tell me how I can get the OEM version back.

forums
12-29-2013, 5:29 AM
The OEM versions had them do why can't the download have them. At least have them as a preference. Or tell me how I can get the OEM version back.Unless you uninstalled it somehow, which you probably couldn't do unless you rooted your device, it is still available on your phone. What phone do you have?

lharrison1962
01-18-2014, 3:58 PM
When will this be resolved? I have seen some threads from administrators that indicate that having arrow keys on the main swype keyboard (not just the edit layer) is popular
user concern and they are looking to resolve it. Any indications when arrow keys might be added? I understand they are on the edit layer but that adds two extra steps (getting there and the getting back to alpha keyboard). Thanks

LawDoctor
03-07-2014, 7:45 AM
In order to make Swype much more user-friendly , it desperately needs directional arrows included on the keyboard , so that you can move the cursor around text much more easily instead of constantly having to touch the screen and hope that you're placing the cursor
correctly.

Currently, the keyboard app SwiftKey has directional arrows , as do many other keyboard apps . Honestly, I'm quite surprised that
Swype doesn't have directional arrows.

Anyone who does a lot of typing on their smart phone knows how constantly annoying it can be to constantly have to go back and move
the cursor around on the touchscreen in order to correct text. You can easily spend up to one minute trying to correctly place the
cursor for just one simple correction.

Other keyboard app developers have already figured this out and since Nuance is always on
the cutting edge, it's about time that Swype has directional arrows added to its keyboard
as soon as humanly possible!

Jacob.W
03-07-2014, 12:28 PM
Hi LawDoctor,

Good point. The ability to add optional cursor controls to Swype is a highly requested feature. I've gone ahead and merged your thread with the existing topic on the issue (it's an oldy, but a goody).

For now, you can still use the Edit Layer to use cursor controls. To go to the Edit Layer Swype from the Swype key to the +!= key, or long press on the +!= key and select the arrow icon.

Thanks!

campagnj
04-03-2014, 9:58 AM
Seriously, this should be an easy fix. My Droid Bionic also had the arrows appear above the keyboard magically a year or more ago. It recently died on me (I swear Verizon sends updates to break phones when you don't upgrade on their schedule!) so I upgraded only to find the arrows aren't only gone but not even available. If Motorola did it OEM it must be coded out there somewhere! Come on Swype!

PS- Please put them ON TOP, not at the bottom, or at least give the option. I got used to them being on top of the keyboard and though there are downloadable keyboard replacements they ALL want to put them on the bottom.

PSS - I know a lot of people are cool with the swype to sym, but I think it's ridiculous to have to go to a new keyboard just to go back a few spaces.

Now... Make it so!

Sinner
05-04-2014, 9:25 AM
Have you tried swype-ing from the swype key (used to bring up alternate words) to the "sym" key? It brings up a whole slew of navigation options and I *think* it does what you're both looking for.
I thought I'd seen this feature before, but couldn't remember where nor how I got there. Thanks a lot for sharing.

olathenicegal
06-23-2014, 11:33 AM
There used to be an option to display the navigation arrows at the top of the keyboard all the time. That's not an available setting anymore... would like to see that return.

ikeeki320
09-29-2014, 10:43 AM
+1 from me. I had the Droid Razr Maxx which had the 4 directional arrows above the main keyboard. Don't remember if it was an option or not, but I REALLY REALLY liked it. Recently bought the Galaxy S5 and I no longer have the arrows row or the option to have it. Please bring that feature back!!!

SL SAVAGE
04-23-2015, 7:52 PM
The developers are laughing at our pitty knowing how important it is to have arrow keys but no they want so spend time on stupid emoji smiling faces, aint nothing funny I.will uninstall this app and use smart keyboard until they improve this

mllive
06-06-2015, 6:57 PM
I believe that 'medium Swype drag to V' does a PASTE as do to 'A, X, C' do Select-all, Cut, Paste.

I'd like these to not require the medium times, and to also be able to drag to get the other control operations,
as well as Left,Right, Up Down, and if possible Z to implement UNDO, even a mistaken rewriting due to a mistaken highlight.