PDA

View Full Version : Bilingual support [IMPLEMENTED]

Cronosmachine
01-13-2011, 5:54 PM
Just wondering if swype able support multi languages input when type in.
Where I came from country with a lot of ethnics. (Singapore).
We always speaking in mix languages.
Most of time person in Singapore is bilingual.
Some people able to speak more then 3 languages.
Main language still english.
If swype able to support 2 languages at least it will be great!
Having trouble to switching languages input when typing.

Arlaken
06-21-2011, 1:25 PM
Hi,

Something has been bugging me since my first use of Swype. I use at least 2 languages when I write (english and french), but I can only swype in one language only. Switching language option all the time is a pain. And sometimes I use both language in one sentence.

I would like to see the option of choosing more than one language to be used with the swype.

I'm sure this is something that applies to most countries that speak more than one language.

Thank you ^_^

eadred
06-22-2011, 1:16 AM
I second that

cksubs
06-24-2011, 12:20 PM
Swap between the last two used languages by using the "Swype Key -> Language Key (Q)" gesture. That should speed things up considerably... as long as you're only using two languages.

Andrew Kisielius
06-26-2011, 3:30 PM
The default Android keyboard (at least in Gingerbread) lets you switch between installed languages with a long press on space. This seems like an easy place for Swype to put it, especially given the drive in 3.0 towards matching Android standards.

Turin74
07-13-2011, 12:38 PM
I wonder that nobody seems to have asked this before. The reason I really cannot use Swype is that it doesn't support 2 languages at the same time, like my standard keyboard does.

I hope I just missed that option, but is it possible to activate two language at once? It's essential for anybody not speaking English as a native language. See if I set my Swype to German I can't really write eo my English friends anymore and vice versa. Auto correction and completition perfectly works with my build in Sense keyboard.

Best Regards,
Ed

cafeoide
07-20-2011, 1:52 PM
A proposal to fix all language issues: let the user choose the layout of the keyboard regardless of the language.

Why?
People who speak/write in more then one language do *not use multiple keyboard layouts!

Example a german/french speaking person, will either have learned the qwertz keyboard layout or azerty (or perhaps qwerty). You cannot switch the keyboard layout based on the language, it removes the support for anyone bilingual.

my 2 cents

Please add a toggle to lock the keyboard in a single layout (i.e. qwerty) for all languages!

rob.boehm
07-22-2011, 5:28 PM
dual languages is something that we are looking into; however the best solution right now is to use the language toggle shortcut, which you may not be familiar with. To toggle back to the most previously used language solo you need to do is to Swype from the swype key to the Q key. You can also long press on the Q let to get the quick list of available languages on you're system.

MakeADictionaryApp
07-23-2011, 11:50 AM
Download Swift Key X. You can use three languages simultaneously. Honestly, Swype just sucks and I'm pissed Android made it our default keyboard, so I would urge every Swype user to download a better-designed app. I can personally vouch for Swift Key X, but I'm sure there are others too.

Nepoxx
07-26-2011, 2:17 PM
I would like to see such a feature!

spbrereton
08-02-2011, 8:34 AM
+1 Although I'm okay with switching between QWERTZ and QWERTY. I would prefer to use french in QWERTY though..

Behindspace
08-23-2011, 12:50 PM
As much as I like your product, I can't use it in my native language (french) because all you offer is AZERTY keyboard, and we don't use that in Canada. We use QWERTY for both french and english, every computer manufacturer already figured that out, why can't we use french QWERTY with Swype yet?

Bibzor
02-17-2012, 1:00 PM
Hello,

I live in Montreal, Quebec and I speak French and English.
The problem is that I usually write both languages in a same sentence.
Do you think it will be possible in the future to combine 2 dictionaries at once?

Thank you,

PS : I started using Swype not so long ago and I have to thank you for this great product. I love it :)

salexanda
02-17-2012, 1:13 PM
hi

i've got a nexus s with android under 4.0.3 and a tablet asus eeepad transformer with android under 3.2.1 and for the both I can't download the french language with the last update. when I go in download language, I haven't got list of language therefore I can use only english us and spanish but I want the french language. how can I do fore the both ?

Bibzor
02-17-2012, 3:28 PM
On my part, it downloads fine but I have to switch languages mid—sentence.

Have you tried reinstalling Swype?

amer24
02-20-2012, 10:25 AM
It is really a no-brainer for Swype to allow simultaneous use of two languages. It would make a revolution in user experience for bilingual users

matejdro
04-23-2012, 3:00 PM
It would be cool if you could use multiple languages at once - so you dont have to ever press that language button again, but rather let keyboard to search both dictionaries and find best match.

koeniekoenie
05-10-2012, 6:32 AM
I agree, the HTC sense 4 trace keyboard this. While the accuracy for the second language is not brilliant, it is better then switching languages for a single sentance. It allows me to swype english stuff for searching on the internet, and swype dutch (my native language) texts to my friends without switching languages.

Kumabjorn
07-13-2012, 2:41 PM
That doesn't work for those of us who have more than two languages installed, and depending on what language combinations that are being used you run the risk of getting undesired input. Also some languages have more characters than the 26 used in English.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2

tagustinus
07-13-2012, 3:49 PM
+1 , at least two languages.
Swiftkey work this way and their prediction is very good. I use two language and mixed them a lot especially for social conversation, that why i still keep that keyboard, though swiping is faster.

liberit
09-20-2012, 1:23 AM
I'm in Italy and often type in Italian, but of course I often type in English too, sometime mixing both languages in the same message (not to mention English words commonly used in Italian too).
Changing language continuously is too inconvenient, so being able to enable two (or more) at the same time would be really great.

rhodeable
09-29-2012, 2:19 PM
+1

This reason right here is why I definitely moved on to SwiftKey. As a bilingual it's too much of a hassle changing your dictionary all the time. Sometimes when you're talking with friends and you want to introduce an English word in your native vocabulary's lexic, having to switch your dictionary settings back and forth just complicates everything.
\

cincin
10-02-2012, 9:27 AM
+1

I would like this feature as well.

musthave
10-03-2012, 1:56 AM
I am unable to use Swype at all, tragically. I have an HTC Desire VC (sold as the HTC T328d in China) which has the brilliant feature of having 2 SIM slots available. That is why I bought the phone. Had I known that HTC seems to be blocking the usage of Swype, I would not have bought this phone. Now I'm texting at a painfully slow rate.

I assume this has something to do with HTC not wanting Swype to run on its devices since it has the inferior rip-off HTC Trace trying to compete. The sad thing is, since this phone was designed for Chinese users, I can't even use HTC Trace. I have a variety of input choices in Chinese, but there seems to be no way to make the swype input option pop up, and I've tried everything. Swype installs, but is never available. Long-press just activates "paste". I've rebooted, and tried everything I can think of. Does anyone have an suggestions?

UPDATE EDIT: PROBLEM SOLVED
long-press doesn't work... hit the little keyboard at the top of the screen, drag down the pull down method, and change it from HTC Sense to Swype Beta. It is working! There is justice in the world.

It would be nice to have the Chinese input options available at the same time... for example if I enter a word in Pinyin, it could suggest the Chinese character. :)

Cerberus™
10-06-2012, 8:12 PM
This would be an interesting option. I would like to try it, see how well it works. Some way to automatically recognise the language after the first 10 words or so would also be great! Not sure how hard that would be to implement. The current slow method of switching languages is a bit frustrating, arg! (I still love Swype, don't worry—but still.)

XRayA4T
10-24-2012, 11:22 AM
I've only learnt German in the last couple of years so the German keyboard layout is unknown to me and slows down my Swyping. Having a "primary language" option combined with a "use primary keyboard for all languages" would suit me.

Lownita
10-24-2012, 12:49 PM
That would be awesome! I am German and I got used to the layout without the extra keys over the years. Would love to choose the layout.

THE_oTe
01-07-2013, 8:24 AM
In swiftkey flow it's possible, I want this on Swype!

matsyoca
01-07-2013, 12:56 PM
Yes, I use French (fr-FR) and English (en-US) all the time, more or less at the same time.

It's also very frustrating to switch from a QWERTY to an AZERTY (ugh) keyboard when switching language.

It would be nice to be able to define a master language (English), and get the appropriate keyboard but also load multiple "minor" languages dictionaries at the same time!

onolox
01-07-2013, 2:42 PM
The swiftkey flow have this option to have 2 dictionaries at same time, but don't work. There are so many words in 2 languages combined that make it impracticable.

I think the best option is to have a way to fast switch between the dictionaries, something like swipe to the left or right starting in the space key to change the language. Something like the default keyboard of android 2.3.

oroboros
01-08-2013, 8:23 AM
+1

same experience here

oroboros
01-08-2013, 8:23 AM
+1

same experience here

mastroalex
04-04-2013, 1:21 PM
Often I need to write in both Italian and English, like when I'm writing in forums, also I know people who write in Italian and German, etc.
We use a keyboard that allows the use of more than one dictionary at the same time and it's really convenient, I hope you decide to add to Swype the same feature.

Could you allow to choose to have a row with arrows always on?

I'd like the possibility to have a BIG Dragon dictate button for when I'm driving.

Jacob.W
04-05-2013, 9:29 AM
Hello mastroalex!

We don't currently support bilingual text input, but we do a few things that should help make using two languages a little easier. First of all, we have a language switch gesture that allows you to quickly switch over from one language to your previously used language. You can use this gesture by swyping from the Swype key to the space bar.

Secondly, in the most recent versions of Swype your Personal Dictionary is shared between languages. This means that any custom words you may use in Italian or German will also be usable in English.

Still though, I can see the value in simultaneously being able to swype in two languages.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Cantello
04-24-2013, 10:45 AM
+1

Definitely necessary. It may not be proper style to mix and match languages but is everyday use for me and as such, it needs to be supported by Swype.

otherGuy
05-04-2013, 3:21 AM
I definitely need this feature as well. I have to change language like 80 times a day. Doing it manually is inacceptable.
Until this feature is implemented I will have to keep using the samsung keyboard.

otherGuy
05-04-2013, 3:22 AM
I definitely need this feature as well. I have to change language like 80 times a day. Doing it manually is inacceptable.
Until this feature is implemented I will have to keep using the samsung keyboard.

otherGuy
05-04-2013, 3:22 AM

kwankl
05-04-2013, 4:04 AM
+1. My 3rd thread to support this kind of request already... (within 2 months?). Its still not being implemented (yet).

kwankl
05-04-2013, 4:10 AM
+1. My 3rd thread to support this kind of request already... (within 2 months?). Its still not being implemented (yet).

gaixixon
05-05-2013, 7:53 PM
Same here, but i have to work around this.
I have to type both English and Vietnamese at the same time, and I use Swype Vietnamese keyboard. Each and every time I need to enter English words, I add it to the dictionary, and the next time, Swype recognize this without any problem.

sephora99
05-21-2013, 8:41 AM
I agree that simultaneous languages have stopped me from using Swype, on top of the slow response times. Swift Key is great for languages and quick response but their new "swype-ish" feature still needs a lot of work on word recognition. I would like to come back to Swype but there need to be some major changes.

dorfmopp
06-02-2013, 6:36 AM
Hi there, I don't know if this has been asked, yet:

I'm from Germany using the qwertz layout. I want to have german AND english suggestions simultaneously. Is this possible?

I'm using the new HTC one.

juan040
06-09-2013, 6:31 AM
Buenos días, les felicito primeramente por su gran trabajo, este teclado es de lo mejor solo que en paises donde hablamos varios idiomas tenemos un inconveniente, por ejemplo aquí en República Dominicana hablamos ingles y español al mismo tiempo y resulta incomodo tener que cambiar entre idioma e idioma para poder poner una palabra bien escrita o que le teclado predizca la correcta escritura en ingles, me explico mejor acá a veces o casi siempre cuando estamos en chat escribimos de las siguientes formas.

Ejemplo: 1- hola como estas TODAY te espero en la universidad cuando salga del WORK.

2- Hello donde quedamos para hacer la tarea de tomorrow?

3- tengo para decirte que esta hoy le celebraremos el happy birthday a Juan!

bueno estos son unos ejemplos de como chateamos acá en RD y mi sugerencia es sencilla porque, e probado varios teclados y tienes esta pequeña pero importante opcion y
es poder usar varios lenguajes simultáneamente osea como máximo 3.

Espero que puedan leer esta sugerencia ya que si creo que es importante mas que cosas como que el espacio mas grande, que colores, que temas de caratula nada eso es tan importante como el funcionamiento interno de la aplicación en si que es facilitar lo mas posible al usuario a la hora de escribir. Espero que en una actualización puedan tomar esto en cuenta y Gracias de antemano me encanta su teclado, ahh antes de terminar el tema Artic es muy difícil de ver, osea es incomodo a la vista el blanco confunde las letras de los símbolos pequeños. bye

Brandobras
06-10-2013, 11:14 PM
Hello,
I second this request.
As for me I live abroad and so I need to write to my colleagues in Spanish and English and to my friends in Italian. I can assure you that it's very annoying chatting with a couple of colleagues and a friend at the same time, having to switch the language every time...
it would be great to have the option to select at least two languages at the same time...

thank you

Psclkhoury
06-13-2013, 5:06 AM
Couldn't agree more. Swype is pain to use if you type in different languages very frequently. It's not intuitive to have to switch languages every sentence or so.

djangodjango
06-30-2013, 10:45 PM
Hello

I tried Swype and I like it very much, but I miss an important feature that Samsung S4 stock keyboard uses. I read somewhere that the S4 is using swiftkey software. On the S4 stock keyboard you are able to fluently Swype between languages without selecting the language at any time. I just Swype between German or English words and the software of the S4 makes the right prediction. It works really flawless. I haven't found any similar option on Swype. Please implement this feature as soon as possible. It's one of the core features I'm missing on Swype.

Best

humy-humsyong
07-01-2013, 2:09 AM
this kind of request has been suggested loooooong time ago (http://forum.swype.com/showthread.php?6582-Language-switching-now-a-hassle). and yet, still no improvement.

swype : no dedicated button for language switching, separated dictionary between each language
swiftkey : no chinese input, and up to 3 language to use at once while i used to type 5 different languages
stock samsung keyboard : beats those two keyboard above, unfortunatelly I can't use international version of jb update since my sgs2 optimized for south korean use :(

cammel
07-10-2013, 12:24 PM
Please, can you add dual language Prediction input like swiftkey has??
I always write in Spanish and English and it will be awesome if this keyboard could predict words in both languages at the same time without having to change it with the space bar every time I enter an English or Spanish word. This can really save us a lot of time.
Thanks in advance!

Enviado desde mi GT-I9300 usando Tapatalk 4 Beta

dorfmopp
07-11-2013, 11:38 PM
Errrrm, hello?

*push*

Jacob.W
07-12-2013, 10:55 AM
We know that this is a major painpoint/request and are working on implementing a solution in future versions of Swype.

Thanks for the feedback!

Cerberus™
07-17-2013, 7:54 AM
That is great to hear, thank you very much! I hope this will be optional? Because sometimes I might want to switch manually, at other times I might want to use two languages in the same text field.

Oh, and can you please, please make the current method to switch between languages stick over a reboot? I mean swiping from the Swype key to the space bar: it works 50 % of the time, because it resets after every reboot. So I would have to remember before switching languages whether or not I have rebooted since the last time I switched languages. So it is actually next to useless for me, though well intended.

Cerberus™
07-17-2013, 8:43 AM
We know that this is a major painpoint/request and are working on implementing a solution in future versions of Swype.

Thanks for the feedback!

It's great to see you are thinking about this! Another important feature to support two or more languages is automatic switching between languages based on what applications you're using. In the SMS application, for example, I'm texting people in my country, so it's 90 % Dutch. In Google Maps, I'm looking for Dutch towns and street names, which will only be in the Dutch dictionary. In the internet browser, however, I will usually search in English. So it would be great if Swype could switch to Dutch automatically when I open Google Maps. I am currently emulating this by using the Beta version in Dutch and the Play version in English, then having Tasker switch between them. But it's slow and inefficient.

ferochera
09-12-2013, 9:27 AM
* For multilanguage people it could be defined a secondary language for suggestions and keep an user dictionary language independent.

Thx

vanwoudt
10-24-2013, 2:13 AM
I'd like the option to use two input languages at the same time. I'm sending messages in Dutch and English, which means I have to switch often. It would be easier to have both languages active at the same time. Sometimes I mix up Dutch and English, making it Dunglish :P. With this feature you should be able to choose your own two active languages. Is this feature on the roadmap yet? Who else likes this idea?

mcarver2000
10-24-2013, 6:24 AM
It's not something I see coming from Nuance (or other producers of similar keyboards). The best solution, until someone builds a simultaneous multi-language keyboard, is to add your most commonly used English words into you Dutch personal dictionary or via versa. A sorta build your own....

Other than keyboard layout issues, I think the biggest challenge for Nuance (or anyone else with "smart & predictive" keyboards) is the overhead in dictionary space, syntax coding, logic, etc. How is the app to know which language one is attempting to input? Does it spell-check English or Dutch? If the two languages are intermixed in a sentence, which language is used for the next word prediction? Perhaps IBM 's Watson could handle this complex of a logic problem, but I doubt the phones & tablets out there have CPU/memory requirements to handle it, if it could be coded.

Then again, I could be wrong. Have you tried the Multiling Keyboard by Honso? They have a new beta available in the Google Play Store.

Elbart
10-25-2013, 9:16 AM
It's not something I see coming from Nuance (or other producers of similar keyboards). The best solution, until someone builds a simultaneous multi-language keyboard
Swype's big competitor has had simultaneous languages for years.

forums
10-25-2013, 9:27 AM
Swype's big competitor has had simultaneous languages for years.Is that SwiftKey?

Jacob.W
11-13-2013, 11:57 AM
Bilingual support has been added in the most recent release for Swype!

We appreciate your feedback and patience and hope that you enjoy the feature!

Let us know what you think at our feedback thread here: http://forum.swype.com/showthread.php?12812-Bilingual-Feedback

Thanks!