PDA

View Full Version : Too many for individual thread

Yondering
12-06-2014, 10:43 AM
As I Address below, you should have an email address available, not Forums, for suggestions. Capitol F brought to you by Swype- again, keep reading:
Swype issues:
I know this going to sound like a rant, but I seriously believe your product is just shy of awesome. Worse, by being so close, it's like an glimpse into the future, but it seems like you don't use your product enough to know that these aren't just annoyances, they are a distant look into the future. Further, by using a forum instead of suggestion/ Tech support email, it's like a closed door instead of a glimpses. By the way, Swype randomly added the capitol T in Tech, added the unneeded space after the / and I had to type in the word glimpse because Swype wouldn't even offer out up as an option when I swyped it nor did it ask if I wanted to add it to my personal dictionary after I typed it in. Please read these suggestions as if I were begging you to consider them- which I am. Don't make 90% of the perfect keyboard:
Randomly capitalizes.
Puts a space after a slash. If Swype can backspace automatically when you type in a backslash, it should know to backspace after adding a slash
Doesn't put a space after selecting an auto-fill name in Facebook.
Randomly capitalizes (so annoying, it gets mentioned twice).
Really hard to distinguish between words along same Swype path like our/ or and what's worse, doesn't seem to recognize how much it shows a user down to read everything being typed to know whether it typed or or our.
Won't type 'type' until you Peck it in (demonstrating the crazy random capitalization with Peck (there, it did it again). Maybe they wanted me to use Swype?
Although it is marginally faster to use Swype and then go back and correct swypos than using the Apple keyboard, I wished I could hover over the 'u' to get it to distinguish our from or rather than make me read along as I type or fix it later. Maybe there's a way and I am just not privy to the trick?
I an email field, Swype should change to a type only option or turn off Auto fill/ auto-correct and put the ampersand on the top level. For password fields, Swype should turn off Auto fill/ auto-correct and/ or switch to the Apple keyboard quickly and then switch itself back on.
You can't add words to the personal dictionary so that if you aren't asked to add it-you can't. In the forums Swype suggests you use the Apple keyboard shortcuts as a solution, but Swype only recognizes about half of my shortcuts.
It takes too long to switch between keyboards in Swype. For Apple and others, you can quickly press and hold the keyboard button to switch between keyboards. Since Swype doesn't recognize when it's in an email or password field, it's infuriating to try to use Swype, but just as infuriating to take all the steps Swype requires to get to a keyboard that will actually let you put in an email or password without auto-filling the wrong characters.
You can't put in spaces at the beginning of a paragraph because Swype always adds a period instead if only adding a period after two space bars at the end of a sentence. I checked, the Apple keyboard makes the distinction.
Why in the heck are the Swype and number keys opposite of the Apple keyboard? Is this some sort of foul joke to trip your users and make them want to avoid using your keyboard or do you not realize your brain automatically looks for shortcuts and by swapping them you are building in failure?
Randomly capitalizes. Needs to be mentioned three times. I tried dropping my finger up to avoid it and away from the u in our to avoid it using our instead of or but you can't trick Swype without it choosing the wrong word altogether.

alex17
04-01-2016, 10:05 AM
Agreed, I am a long time fan, on android... and iOS is just poor enough that I'm constantly debating whether I can keep using it. A few changes would be so useful. I've posted them elsewhere, don't want to pile on here, just wanted to agree with the spirit of your post.

Anyone from Swype: I used to recommend Swype for android routinely, people love it. On iOS, when they try it, it's a bit better in some ways, and worse in others, it's just not a compelling alternative, yet. I'm honestly trying to sell your product for you, and it's just not there yet.