PDA

View Full Version : Text Shortcuts [Implemented]

BrianGGG
10-07-2014, 4:58 PM
It would be great if there was a way to enter shortcuts for text or text blocks (similar to what is done with keyboard shortcuts in IOS).

I assume that it's currently impossible to access the existing keyboard shortcuts, but there should be a way to enter Swype-specific shortcuts separately.

This would be incredibly powerful. You could create shortcuts for commonly used words and phrases.
You could swipe "lmkt" and it would expand into "let me know, thanks."

Or, you could use shortcuts to easily write out your phone number, your signature, etc.

This would be a great time-saver...

thanks
BrianGGG

Jacob.W
10-08-2014, 2:44 PM
Hey BrianGGG,

We appreciate the request. Adding shortcuts/text expansion has been a popular request for our Android version for a while now. We are considering this feature for future versions of Swype.

Thank you

BrianGGG
11-06-2014, 4:06 AM
Hi. Looks like shortcuts are accessible in Swype 1.1. They show up as a choice if you type or swipe the shortcut.

This is great and should be announced with the rest of the new features. I'm glad I stumbled on to it.

Ricardias
11-07-2014, 11:26 AM
Hi. I'd love to have this possibility on my iPhone, the native keyboard allows it (example, my address is too long; I just type ende - that is not a word in portuguese, my language - and the full address appears. The same for my mail, everything I usually write), is it possible? I could not figure it out, could you explain? Thanks in advance!

Jacob.W
11-10-2014, 5:10 PM
Hello Ricardias,

If you have updated to the latest version of Swype, you should be able to use your shortcuts.

Here's how:
1. Tap out your shortcut (e.g. if you have "omw" set to expand to "on my way", tap "omw")
2. You will see it suggested in the Word Choice List
3. Tap on your expanded shortcut in the Word Choice List

You can enjoy using your pre-existing shortcuts with Swype!

Ricardias
11-10-2014, 7:50 PM
Thank you very very much! Great, was so easy that I didn't notice! Thank you for the useful help.

steenkh
11-11-2014, 12:04 AM
This only works on my iPad 3. My iPhone 4S acts as if I have no shortcuts defined. Both are running iOS 8.1.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jacob.W
11-12-2014, 10:33 AM
Hi Steenkh,

We're sorry to hear that you're having problems with shortcuts on one device. We'll investigate to see if we can reproduce your problem.

Thanks

steenkh
11-17-2014, 5:18 AM
I have additional information for you. We have four iOS units, and the shortcuts work fine on the two iPads (an iPad 2 and an iPad 3), but it does not work on either of our two iPhone 4S

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JeremyM33
11-20-2014, 4:39 PM
Only some of my shortcuts actually work using the Swype keyboard. I'd be happy to give you examples. I am running iOS 8.1.1 on an iPhone 5S