PDA

View Full Version : Please add the ability to remove the microphone button (implemented)

Cokemonkey11
01-03-2011, 1:23 PM
For me and probably for quite a few other swype fans, the microphone button is completely useless. I'd like a larger spacebar or at least an option to disable the button in the options menu.

I'm sure others will agree nothing is more annoying than having to wait for this "feature" to pop up when I just wanted to make a period.

thanks

belomeclone
01-04-2011, 6:29 PM
What is useless about this? Especially since Swype is based on accurate spelling of words, when you get stuck one day on a word you can't spell correctly, you can either tap it in incorrectly (and thanks to Swype's logic, get a misspelled word in your dictionary) or speak it and move on.

Use the feature. It has many other uses - too busy to type it? Want to show off to friends? It's very useful and very accurate. My only problem is its borders for touching might need to shrink a little as I do occasionally hit it by accident, but it's not an issue to me at all.

Cokemonkey11
01-05-2011, 8:57 PM
I'm sorry I've never been in a situation where I was stuck not being able to spell a word, so I felt like I should have to "speak it" to my keyboard. That's just stupid.

All I'm asking for is an option to turn off or hide the button.

belomeclone
01-05-2011, 10:27 PM
Why do you need it hidden or turned off? And why are you so high and mighty and arrogant over your ability to spell? It's not stupid, it's very practical.

Cokemonkey11
01-06-2011, 4:50 PM
I need it hidden or turned off because Swype, the fastest soft keyboard in the world, stops me at least 6 seconds every time I accidentally hit the microphone button, which happens to be useless and in an obnoxious position.

I'm not high and mighty or arrogant over my ability to spell, but I'm pretty sure if there was a word I needed to learn to spell, I wouldn't be asking the microphone button on my soft keyboard.

Practical is an exact antonym for the microphone button on this keyboard.

mountainbikermark
01-06-2011, 5:04 PM
My Incredible has a built in mic button in the options menu below any keypad. I don't need a mic button, I need a bigger space bar.

Support Our Troops!! written in some form from a wifi monolith.

belomeclone
01-06-2011, 8:19 PM
I have asked to make the bounding box for triggering the microphone button smaller on the top. That is a practical way to approach this.

Cokemonkey11
01-07-2011, 2:22 PM
I have asked to make the bounding box for triggering the microphone button smaller on the top. That is a practical way to approach this.

That sounds like a good start.

I've never done any android development so far, so maybe asking for an option to hide the button is too difficult...

SalvoSalvo
01-09-2011, 2:36 AM
My Incredible has a built in mic button in the options menu below any keypad. I don't need a mic button, I need a bigger space bar.

100% with you :) I also suggested this http://forum.swype.com/showthread.php?2321-smilies&p=12043#post12043

sprior
06-19-2011, 9:56 AM
I just installed Swype 3 on my Nook Color running CM7 (Yeah that Swype 3 installs at all on the Nook Color!!!) The Nook has no microphone so there is no chance I can ever use voice input (ignoring Bluetooth). Swype should have a setting to remove the microphone button (and maybe replace it with something else) for situations when voice input will never be used.

njdixon
06-20-2011, 2:59 AM
I second the proposal to hide the microphone button. My HTC Desire S has a microphone, of course, but I rarely use voice input; instead I often find myself pressing the mic button by accident, which slows me down.

Either optionally hide the microphone button, or require a long-press on some other key to activate it. I'd rather have the extra space devoted to wider period and comma keys for the benefit of my stubby fingers (but I assume width is not an issue on the Nook).

antowen
06-20-2011, 1:31 PM
Yup, same here. I don't use it and keep hitting it accidentally.

elevatorsout
06-21-2011, 10:33 AM
Yes, I want to agree with this idea. I'd like to be able to remove mic button too. I am often accidently swyping or touching it.

cmstlist
06-21-2011, 12:10 PM
I third it, as my Nook Color doesn't even have audio input capabilities.

Sent from my Nook Color!

drinkingcoffee
10-28-2011, 8:49 AM
I also would love an option to get rid of this button. I've never used voice input, and I doubt I ever will (swype is just that good... ha!)

rob.boehm
10-29-2011, 5:28 PM
This has been on the development table for a long time as well a other keyboard modifications like editing the language button, themeing, and other nice options. However doing it in a way which would not balloon the install size simply wasn't possible with the way Swype was being constructed on the screen. As far as I know all the necessary changes to create an environment so we can offer there features has been completed. I half expected this version to have some of there options but it looks like we'll have to wait just a little bit longer. 8/

chezybezy
10-31-2011, 8:07 AM
+1 for this suggestion as well, again its my other gripe with swype.
if the option for removing the button increases the installer size, would allowing custom assignment of the button to something else (even as simple as 'repeating' the return key) increase the install size as much as removing it would?

astromanluca
10-31-2011, 2:08 PM
Or what about adding it as a secondary long-press function? I understand if allowing users to choose between several keyboard layouts could cause problems, but the microphone shouldn't be the primary function of any key. It ought to require a long press to function no matter what to minimize the chances of accidental activation.

rob.boehm
11-02-2011, 1:06 PM
Or what about adding it as a secondary long-press function? I understand if allowing users to choose between several keyboard layouts could cause problems, but the microphone shouldn't be the primary function of any key. It ought to require a long press to function no matter what to minimize the chances of accidental activation. Quoted For Truth. :-)

sungrad
11-07-2011, 2:00 PM
+1 just swap it for a smiley button, our simply make the other buttons on the bottom slightly larger :-)

samkatz
12-28-2011, 8:37 AM
love the beta.
I wish there was a way to disable the dictation button.

it's next to the period, my fat finger often hits it and puts me into dictation, out of typing. Hitting wrong key anywhere else is no biggie,eg swype corrects it, here, I have to exit dication and go back to the period.

thank you

rob.boehm
12-28-2011, 11:00 AM
Even if you're tapping and not Swyping I would recommend swiping from the period to the space bar. Even if you start over the dragon button, Swype should still interpret the gesture as a period-space gesture. Similar to if you're entering a URL. .com, .net, .org, and virtually any other top level domain name should be in the dictionary; with and without the period in front of it.

samkatz
12-28-2011, 12:17 PM
Even if you're tapping and not Swyping I would recommend swiping from the period to the space bar. Even if you start over the dragon button, Swype should still interpret the gesture as a period-space gesture. Similar to if you're entering a URL. .com, .net, .org, and virtually any other top level domain name should be in the dictionary; with and without the period in front of it.

thank you for responding. Am new user of swype so am getting the hang of the gestures. But I love it.

handled_badly
12-28-2011, 10:10 PM
I agree with the above, the bottom row is getting crowded. Disabling the language selection key, especially if there is only one language to select, would also make sense...

Sent from my Optimus Slider

zwgGtX
01-03-2012, 10:08 AM
+1
most of the time this happens to me the suggested solution of swiping from period to space won't help me as I'm not trying to put a period+space but just a plain space.

thnidu
05-29-2012, 10:09 AM
I find the voice button a constant interference too. And in a noisy environment it would probably misrecognize what I said*, while in a place where I have to be quiet, like a meeting or a library, I couldn't use it at all.

belomecione, I'm glad you've finally done something sensible in this thread (01-07-2011,*1:19 AM), instead of just insulting forum members who aren't exactly like you (01-06-2011,*3:27 AM, calling cokemonkey, "high and mighty and arrogant"; 01-04-2011,*11:29 PM). I hope you've learned to be civil.

* I was senior linguist for Dragon Systems throughout the nineties, so I know a bit about speech (mis)recognition.

thnidu
05-29-2012, 10:13 AM
BTW, cokemonkey11: I've learned that a swipe from period to space effectively avoids triggering the speech button. But I agree with you 100%. I don't want to need a workaround all the time.

Sometimes
06-19-2012, 9:57 AM
I would love a user toggle that allowed the microphone and that damn language key to be removed and replaced by a longer space bar.

Cokemonkey11
06-19-2012, 9:43 PM
I posted this thread over a year ago and no one from swype has made the effort to reply.

It's quite obvious that swype would be better with some of the keys available to disable in the settings.

juanMcLane
06-24-2012, 3:28 AM
This should be done, come on Swype developers!
I don't use the voice command button so i'd rather have the possibility to hide it and have a LARGER space bar. If you use it, keep it, otherwise you can hide it. Simple

Additionally i'd like to hide the "change language layout" button as i use only my mother tongue to have larger space bar, or replace it with another character choosen by the user

choose and replace characters... this would be a revolutionary feature :D maybe i should sell my idea to some swype competitors on the market...

yurkennis
06-24-2012, 4:10 AM
Adding my vote for making Dragon button optional. I never use voice dictation because of confidentiality of 90% of what I write - and canceling dictation every time I tap it by mistake instead of "." wastes too much time. Would much prefer a larger space button, as I still frequently type "." instead of Space.

JoĆ£o Almeida
06-25-2012, 2:59 AM
I second that!!

quarky42
06-25-2012, 8:12 AM
Swype Devs: Please let users choose to disable the voice input button. I never use voice input because any system I've EVER tried raises my blood pressure when it doesn't recognize a word. I don't have trouble spelling. I do have trouble hitting that voice input button on accident though and it is in a very obnoxious location (next to the space bar means I hit it by accident quite often.)

Please either move it where it can't be triggered by mistake or better yet let users decide if they want to remove it they can. It can be "on" by default if you want.

mtbsoft
06-26-2012, 4:41 AM
I'd like the option to either hide the mic. button too for similar reasons to the above - my accent vs. locale simply makes voice impractical - or perhaps allowing it to be reassigned to some other function (macros anyone?).

David Johnstone
06-26-2012, 4:00 PM
Merging this thread with an existing one.

saulob
06-28-2012, 2:50 PM
+1 ... I'm hitting it a lot by mistake

handled_badly
06-30-2012, 5:47 PM
I don't have a language key any more, thanks to the latest beta which is blessedly more beta-like than the last beta. (I also went through the trouble of actually removing Spanish, if that makes any difference.)

Somehow, though, I'm hitting the Dragon key more than I'm used to as well... I think this is because the keyboard no longer is lax about letting your finger accidentally skip off of it for a split second.

yurkennis
09-02-2012, 10:15 AM
So pity this issue is still not addressed in 1.1.1.7628

eellerto
09-03-2012, 2:24 PM
Big pity! Even if it was a just changed to a long press....that would solve this stupid issue.

handled_badly
09-03-2012, 4:03 PM
I somehow doubt Nuance will remove its hand-crafted "masterpiece" from Swype. Otherwise they wouldn't have bought them out.

If you want to complain.com complain to Nuance about pushing their pet product on you.

goletaman
09-03-2012, 4:22 PM
Yeah..they are ruining Swype....:mad:

obara88
09-05-2012, 9:44 AM
remove mic button pls or give an option for this

dohraymee
09-27-2012, 10:09 PM
totally agree.

For me and probably for quite a few other swype fans, the microphone button is completely useless. I'd like a larger spacebar or at least an option to disable the button in the options menu.

I'm sure others will agree nothing is more annoying than having to wait for this "feature" to pop up when I just wanted to make a period.

thanks

andreasy
09-28-2012, 5:01 AM
Yes, remove the speech icon and also allow more keyboard customization.

Also the old language change button was better and faster than long clicking space bar

handled_badly
10-03-2012, 3:36 PM
So Swype will force the Microphone icon on people who don't want it, and ironically there are several who DO want it who don't have it on Samsung devices. Why can't Swype get it straight?

Cerberus™
10-06-2012, 6:56 PM
I like Swype very much, and I am a fairly new user, so I don't know what the older versions were like to use, but I would like the option to remove the microphone button. I just never use it, I never ever speak to my phone. I would REALLY like the option to replace it with a language switch key, because that is the thing I miss most, quickly switching between languages. I need to do that all the time, and the very slow, uncustomisable long-press is holding me back, not to mention the extra tap very far from the keyboard (it often requires repositioning my hand). I love, you, Swype, but please, hear my prayers! I would be more than willing to pay for this fantastic keyboard.

yurkennis
10-18-2012, 9:04 AM
So pity the issue is still the case in the latest 1.3.1.9274

Tsoilihoi
02-22-2013, 8:46 AM
the voice icon is too close to the period. accidental striking is annoying. Maybe hold longer to activate!

talbess
03-02-2013, 4:50 PM
Well I've just gone to the trouble of registering on this forum so that I can let you know that I have removed Swype from my S3 because of this stupid annoyance. I don't use the voice input, I don't want the voice input and I accidentally run over that stupid and annoying microphone ALL THE TIME and then I have to cancel it. If the swipe developers wont listen to users and give an option to get rid of it then I'm voting with my feet and installing the (generally inferior) Swiftkey

badrsj
03-03-2013, 7:10 AM
I would like to add and request the ability to choose Google voice input please.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

aarcane
03-08-2013, 1:17 PM
I find myself constantly annoyed by this "feature"as well. I usually trigger it accidentally in places where speaking is generally frowned upon, such as in class

rafariva
03-15-2013, 4:39 AM
agree with u.

ikjadoon
03-15-2013, 6:58 PM
Agreed. 10 char

Tsoilihoi
04-20-2013, 8:13 AM
The main objection I have is tripping over the voice key
when using period or line feed. It's a pain. please
Allow us to turn it off or at least make it a long press.

Taioba
04-24-2013, 9:09 AM
Agreed! +1

;)

yurkennis
04-24-2013, 10:13 AM
Thanks for implementing this in Swype 1.5 Google Play version!