PDA

View Full Version : Why can't I see letters as I type ?

anonymous
11-24-2009, 5:12 PM
In the WYSIWG interface as soon as I type a letter it appears on the screen. With Swype this no longer seems to be true, in your example videos I got to swype the whole word before I see it on the screen. Wouldn't this be cumbersome if I wanted to momentarily ensure what I have typed is correct. i.e., as I am typing the next letter my eyes are typically processing the earlier parts to ensure everything's ok.

migr1547470
11-25-2009, 4:28 PM
I'm the QA manager at Swype.

In our usability testing, and that of third-parties, this hasn't been an issue. To help you with that, there is a trace that we draw on the keyboard that may ease the transition for you into a Swypist. Part of the "magic" of Swype is its ability to correct spelling errors and even figure out what word you are trying to Swype when you make a mistake, or the ease in which you can go back and correct mistakes after you are finished Swyping. This is partly what makes Swype so much faster than more traditional input methods. It allows you to input thoughts and phrases unencumbered by the tool you are using; you will be interrupted less by process mechanics, and when Swype does get a word wrong, correcting that mistake after you've finished Swyping the phrase can be done more quickly and efficiently than trying to do so mid-thought.

migr1586866
11-25-2009, 8:59 PM
As Ryan mentioned there is a trace path that appears momentarily on the screen as you Swype. You can turn the trace path on all the time so that it does not disappear until you lift your finger. This way you can see where your finger has been thus far in the word.

migr12304909
06-18-2010, 1:09 PM
The letters that Swype chooses depends on the full path you have taken. Look at the Pit/Pot/Put example. What would you want it to show while you are still tracing? Poiuyt? It depends on the path and emphasis from hopping and circling.

migr12951399
07-15-2010, 11:43 PM
The point here is that, when you press individual keys (without swyping) the individual keys glow, which means that swype recognizes that I am typing and not swyping. This is not the case when you are swyping, when only the first key glows. All you need to do is to change the "glow" effect to the "letter popping up" effect.

So if we swipe, only the first letter would popup and the rest wouldnt (just like the current implementation where when I swipe, the first letter glows whereas the rest wouldnt )
This would be a much appreciated feature.

Also, you can incorporate auto-correction of spelling errors while typing as well (not just swyping)

There are times, when you just want to type. Say you are having a conversation with someone in your regional language so dictionary feature is useless here)