PDA

View Full Version : Keyboard template as transparent overlay

codex24
08-27-2010, 3:28 AM
Rather than have the keyboard take up half the screen when called up, and push other GUI elements off-screen, I would like to see the keyboard template present as a semi-transparent overlay over the whole screen without displacing the calling application. This would also have the advantage of making the "keyboard" keys larger and easier to navigate. A preference setting could be used to control the degree of opacity.

Kevin Calman
08-27-2010, 3:31 AM
By gum, that's a jolly good idea!

Eric
08-28-2010, 8:46 PM
While I disagree with making the keyboard any larger or covering the whole screen, it would be awesome if there was a setting that allowed you to make the keyboard transparent over the bottom half of the screen so you could see what's underneath. Great idea!

rewtnull
09-05-2010, 4:33 PM
I want this too. Preferably customizable opacity levels, and not just two or a few pre-selected levels.

fernandw
09-08-2010, 12:41 PM
Agree wholeheartedly. +1

While I disagree with making the keyboard any larger or covering the whole screen, it would be awesome if there was a setting that allowed you to make the keyboard transparent over the bottom half of the screen so you could see what's underneath. Great idea!

planetjeffy
09-10-2010, 1:05 PM
How about making the amount of screen the transparent keyboard occupies selectable?

The transparent keyboard idea is wonderful - thanks.

Enygma0
09-20-2010, 6:09 AM
Bump for opacity levels of the swype keyboard!

tinybeetle
08-25-2011, 8:38 AM
Agreed! Excellent idea. Needs to happen with the input boxes too.

rob.boehm
08-26-2011, 1:19 PM
It's my understanding that we'd need some additional framework in Android in place to accomplish this. If we we're to fade the keyboard out all that we'd see is what Android is drawing under the keyboard; which right now is nothing.

rocksocal15
04-27-2012, 9:39 AM
So, after several months wait, Ice Cream Sandwich devices and source code are now widely available. With the new framework, is there any possibility of giving Swype keyboard capabilities for transparency or opacity? My tablet's Swype keyboard has the option to make it smaller, less than half of screen width, does this not show that opacity is possible?

David Johnstone
05-04-2012, 9:48 AM
Hey rocksocal15, a great question and I'll address it now.

One of my favorite quotes from a dev around our office is, "Of course we can do it... it's software!" While opacity is technically possible in ICS at this point, there are two main reasons why you likely will not see a transparent keyboard in our next Beta release:

1. the devices Swype users posses, and
2. the Android version in question.

Regarding the first point: opacity and being able to adjust it on-the-fly would require more RAM and CPU from user devices. The fact is that not everyone is up and running with the latest, greatest hardware - how many of you are still running Gingerbread on your Samsung Vibrants? Don't be shy, I see some hands out there...

On the second point, while ICS devices and source code have been alive and well in the market for months now it turns out that less than 5% (http://developer.android.com/resources/dashboard/platform-versions.html) of Android users actually run ICS on their device(s). Keep in mind that this "less than 5%" figure includes not only devices released 'officially' in the market via the likes of T-Mobile and Sprint, but also versions of ICS that have been customized by various ROM devs and then fed into the wild for installation onto devices that were never 'supposed to' receive an upgrade to ICS in the first place.

When it comes down to it, we'd rather provide our users with a build that handles word lists and frequency data better, complete with various accuracy improvements. Would we choose to develop these items over adjustable opacity on our keyboard? Most likely. Would you get an entirely different response if our UX guy roosted on these forums? I'd bet so.

For now, adjustable opacity isn't something we're ready to release and it just doesn't take priority ahead of a faster, smarter, more user-friendly keyboard. As always, you should tear my response apart and convince me why I'm wrong!

Meetloaf13
03-10-2016, 8:33 PM
Mr. Johnstone, forgive the NECRO post. I figured I'd search for existing requests similar to mine.

It appears that that guidance given in this thread so many years ago is now outdated. I see that transparency already exists in Swype when you are moving the floating keyboard. Why not enable it when the floating keyboard is static? It would be a GEM.

FWIW, I would GLADLY sacrifice battery life for this feature.

Meetloaf13
03-10-2016, 8:57 PM
Example
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160311/88160780bc2e39f77ffd200b7236bc21.jpg

How AWESOME would that be?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk