PDA

View Full Version : Use intelligent (n-gram + historical) prediction for word choice window

Michael Hood
08-19-2010, 6:06 PM
I'm sure there is already some logic in the word choice window based on likely "swypes," but the word choice window could be far more usable if it based the word choice _ordering_ on n-gram logic. This would promote word choices that are more likely to be the next word in a sentence above others that are very obscure.

I'd like to offer more in-depth view on my thoughts to the developers on this if you guys are interested - feel free to reach out to me. I'm just a fan that loves the product.

FastKatt
08-31-2010, 4:52 PM
Great Idea!

spbrereton
09-01-2010, 10:03 AM
I'm sure there is already some logic in the word choice window based on likely "swypes," but the word choice window could be far more usable if it based the word choice _ordering_ on n-gram logic. This would promote word choices that are more likely to be the next word in a sentence above others that are very obscure.

I'd like to offer more in-depth view on my thoughts to the developers on this if you guys are interested - feel free to reach out to me. I'm just a fan that loves the product.

This should be a no-brainer. Mike/mile, mouth/moth, not/nit/nut - there are hundreds of these combinations and some sort of guessing would be really useful. For instance, it's more likely to be Mike than mile if I tried to capitalise the M. Unless I'm a lepidopterist I'm normally trying to type mouth, and the number of instances of 'not' in almost any sample text should vastly outweigh the number of instances of nut and exponentially more than the number of instances of nit. And yet NIT comes up nearly every damn time!!

MrObvious
09-01-2010, 10:35 AM
I agree. Most regular phones with t9 already do this and learn which words you type most frequently so it would put hi instead of id for example.