PDA

View Full Version : Custom Smiley Key

migr9730033
04-21-2010, 10:42 AM
I love the happy face key in the lower right, and in fact I would love to use it for a different set of characters I type often. Actually I have about 10 sets of characters I use a lot - and if I could customize that button and the choices that show up with a 'hold' that would be so useful. Love Swype - it's awesome! (using myTouch 3G)

migr9438441
04-21-2010, 11:15 AM
I think the happy face key is a waste. As with nearly every other keyboard replacement, this area should be used as either a "Search", "Next" or "Enter" key, depending on the type of text being entered. I can't count the number of times I go to hit "Enter" and a useless happy face appears :-(

migr9210591
05-02-2010, 10:59 PM
I agree with dan, I don't know how many times I've swyped the Enter button, and got that ridiculous happy face instead. I would opt to take that key out all together.

migr10430660
05-17-2010, 8:48 PM
I also would desperately like the ability to customize the smilies under that key. I never use any of the stock ones, and some of the ones I use frequently cannot be added to the user database, like T_T (it always types the second T as lowercase). <3 also cannot be added at all. If you add the feature, you may need to restrict the length to 5 characters, otherwise they will likely not fit on the screen when a user long-presses the smiley key. 3 characters would be too short, but 5 should cover just about everything I can think of.

brian.resnik
05-17-2010, 10:13 PM
Tyco: I see your problem with T_T, but you can actually add <3 to user dictionary just fine! (Just did it myself hehe). To do this, type <3, then highlight it (you can use the editing keyboard accessed by swyping from the SWYPE key to the SYM key), and then tap the SWYPE key. This will add it to the dictionary. Now, here's the trick: Swype actually treats each key-position as all the characters available for that key, when it computes gestures. So the J key actually represents J, :, and <. So to get your <3, you'll trace a path from the j key to the y key (because y is also 3). Give it a shot! This works for any and all combinations of characters!

metalron
06-17-2010, 12:36 PM
This is a great idea, as adding smileys in the dictionary does not seem to work properly

migr12384195
06-20-2010, 4:25 AM
HERE'S THE SOLUTION: keep the return key, but in the top-right area of the return-key add a :-) text. So now, if you hold the return key you can get into a custom smiley-entry screen, this way you dont waste any more space adding more buttons to the screen and add functionality :).

migr12418515
06-22-2010, 8:00 PM
I have to agree with Dan. I can't stand trying to hit a period and suddenly there's a smiley face there, and I have to manually delete it. I never use smiley faces, and, while I don't really want to waste that much room, I would much rather have the ability to turn that button off and waste the space than have to backspace every third time I try to hit a period.

metalron
06-23-2010, 11:59 AM
Chris depending on the keyboard you actually can switch the smiley key to a "enter" button
handcent for example has this under keyboard settings.

RocknSteve
07-08-2010, 4:34 PM
I use Handcent, and as mentioned above, it has the option to set the "Action key" to either a smiley key or an "enter" key. However, would it be possible for Swype to add an option that SWITCHES the action key's behavior?

For example, say I have Handcent set to have the action key be a smiley button but when I press "SYM" key, for it to change the action key to be an "enter" key? I know that I use the smiley key more than I would use the enter key but I really don't like having to open up to my full keyboard to be able to "enter" down. Basically, if all that didn't make sense, is it possible to have the action key change when you press "SYM" (just like all the other keys change)?

migr12797347
07-10-2010, 5:10 PM
I like the idea of being able to switch the smile key with the enter key.
Like a choice to have primary & secondary.
I would choose to have the smile key as primary & enter be shown with SYM is pressed
Others could reverse this & have the enter key be primary.

Either way, I'd love to see a editing screen to add other "smiles" to the list that pops up

metalron
07-11-2010, 12:23 AM
Yeah adding smileys or and switching buttons to "smileys" or "enter" or something else would be far more appropriate.. I never use the enter really..

Vetdoctor
07-21-2010, 2:54 PM
Wasted space on the keyboard? To me the ability to change languages on the "q" key is a wasted opportunity. How often do people need to change languages on the fly (Ok, maybe more than I think but in my life the answer is never). Making the top of the "q" key a pop-up for smiley's would be a good option.

I entered :-) as a word but cannot figure out how to swype it, only if I type it out can i get it.

Kory Blackmore
08-16-2010, 12:44 PM
Well this seems like a controversial subject as to where and what button could/should be a smiley.

After getting my N1 a few months ago and setting swype beta up on it I've gone from not texting/chatting much to full time power chatting. One of the things I really miss and get slowed down on is adding my smileys. It's terribly important! People think I'm mad if it don't attach my emotional state to my words!

What I would like to see is the ability to add custom smileys, because my emotions are different and unique to me. Secondly, I would suggest that these be available via another keyboard, accessed through a long press.

Where this button should be, I do not know.

Vetdoctor
08-16-2010, 1:50 PM
@Kory...this took my slow brain a while to process but re-read Brian's (admin) useful note. I finally got the idea and typed ;-) and highlited it and clicked the Sype key. It's now saved. When I want it I swype the letter "k" to the dash by the spacebar and up to "p" and the wink appears. An excellent way to add several custom smileys.

Vetdoctor
08-16-2010, 1:50 PM
@Kory...this took my slow brain a while to process but re-read Brian's (admin) useful note. I finally got the idea and typed ;-) and highlited it and clicked the Sype key. It's now saved. When I want it I swype the letter "k" to the dash by the spacebar and up to "p" and the wink appears. An excellent way to add several custom smileys.

Vetdoctor
08-16-2010, 1:52 PM
What is up with the posting here? I click post from IE 7 and get an offer to save the webpage. If I refresh....then...I can see my post. I thought is was only an issue from my phone.

metalron
08-16-2010, 1:55 PM
@Martin T. Although i have been using this method since I do not find any other acceptable form of adding smileys at the moment this method is not all so efficient but just a work around like for example as a " :P " and a " :) " smiley would have conflicts.

Vetdoctor
08-16-2010, 2:20 PM
Told you I was slow :)

Doug
08-19-2010, 10:19 AM
I freaking love the smiley button but wish that it would not default to :-) when clicked but would open up the long press menu on a click and then let you click whatever smiley you wanted. Or at least have an option to do that...

Doug
08-19-2010, 10:22 AM
Oh, also, (for Brian Resnik) can you delete pre-defined words from the dictionary? I hate that 50% of the time i try to "lol" it does "loo" (then 25% of the time it does "look" and the other 25% it actually does "lol"!!)...?

metalron
08-20-2010, 7:49 AM
@doug Typically you should be able to by selecting the word and then hit the swype option key although its odd its not been working for me since i reinstalled the last time. But if you check the faq's in the app thats why it says so im sure i was not dreaming about this feature. Even double tapping a word to correct it does not work anymore for me, odd.

Doug
08-20-2010, 9:06 AM
@Ron that works for custom dictionary words, but not for pre-defined ones... at least not that I've been able to get to work...

metalron
08-20-2010, 9:38 AM
ah yes you are correct

nayajol
09-15-2010, 4:34 PM
I also agree there needs to be an "enter" key on the keyboard. I've only been using swype for a couple weeks and I can't count the amount of times I get a happy face by accident. It's so frustrating!! I use the enter key a lot and I don't think i should have to download an app to be able to have swype and an "enter" key...pls help!!

Neufusion
09-27-2010, 4:21 PM
+1
I want to be able to edit the custom smiley list. I use =] =[ and =P .

As a workaround, I was able to type =] and then highlight and add to my custom dictionary. So I can get a =] by pressing SYM and then sliding from 9 to %.

Neufusion
09-27-2010, 4:38 PM
I hate that 50% of the time i try to "lol" it does "loo" (then 25% of the time it does "look" and the other 25% it actually does "lol"!!)...?

A bit off-topic, but it sounds like that is user error. If you are getting loo, you are hitting O for your third letter instead of L. If you are getting look, you are hitting the O twice and then the K as the fourth letter.

If you are having accuracy issues, you can go into the options and adjust slider for better accuracy.

Neufusion
09-27-2010, 4:40 PM
I also agree there needs to be an "enter" key on the keyboard. I've only been using swype for a couple weeks and I can't count the amount of times I get a happy face by accident. It's so frustrating!! I use the enter key a lot and I don't think i should have to download an app to be able to have swype and an "enter" key...pls help!!

I noticed that the Smiley face and the Enter key change depending on what you are inputting. In recipent lists and gmail, the smiley key is gone and the enter key is in it's place. In TXT message bodies, there is a smiley key and no enter key.

bigsupersquid
05-06-2011, 7:37 AM
I noticed that the Smiley face and the Enter key change depending on what you are inputting. In recipent lists and gmail, the smiley key is gone and the enter key is in it's place. In TXT message bodies, there is a smiley key and no enter key.

yeah, the lack of an enter key in SMS is a bummer. most of the handsets I've used lately at least have a CRLF (carriage-return-line-feed) in the symbol list, but it doesn't appear swype does.

Rather than start a new thread, I'm adding to this one as the most appropriate I can find...
re: customizing the smiley key:
It sure would be nice to be able to remap (or just change the characters output by) unwanted keys like the smiley button. Myself, I'd like to get character output from the microphone key, since I intentionally don't even have voice-recognition installed on my handset, and that key always seems to be present.